• Honda Civic CXi (models <2001)

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Toyota Corolla

Votes: 17 51.5%

• Total voters

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Yeah and a $10K budget drift silvia (DIY of course) would chew them both, I don't think the performance is really the main concern here, so maybe give it a break?

S13WPN

HSC
i think the idea is to save a few dollars on petrol...

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
DaddyK said:
Thats what i don't understand, if i had 14 k to spend on a car, i sure as hell wouldn't be buying a corolla or a civic.
lol, yes but you dont like technology either right?

HSC
DaddyK said:
Thats what i don't understand, if i had 14 k to spend on a car, i sure as hell wouldn't be buying a corolla or a civic.
the second hand, so called 'nicer' cars that have been spoken of, either have
1. 100000+ kms
2. been thrashed
3. have had some sort of modification
4. higher insurance costs

so i dont really want to spend $14k on a car that i know will have higher maintainance costs in the long run to that of a civic or corolla

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Pretty much evryone agree's that they don't want a car that will need to make regular diversions from A-B travel to get petrol or repairs.....

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
True. But i think a do it yourself repair here or there is the best way to learn about cars. I'd rather a car that will have a slip up once in a while rather than some car that will just go and go, like the corolla.

HSC
go the corolla, good reliable cars that will go forever, and use shit all fuel so cheap to run, plus if u do decide to make some mods 4 performance ur not gonna be like every 2nd dickhead ricer already on the road, you'll at least have something a little less common with a bit more originality

HSC
DaddyK said:
A modded corolla, original? uhmmm i don't think so.
Yeah sorry original is probably the wrong choice of word, what i meant was that every second person on the road these days seems to be drivin round in either a hotted up civic or integra. I just reackon goin 4 somethin a bit less common wouldnt be a bad idea. That better DaddyK? lol

Jiga

Get a Ford Fiesta - its engine aint dat big, but the new Fiestas and Lasers designs look prity good, they can be done up reasoably to look ok (mags etc) and you get a new car with the attached benefits (Not having to repair it for at least 80,000km's etc). Also, I think Ford currently have like a 5 year 100,000km warranty for a limited time (not to sure).

Depends what you want it for though!

HSC
btw...ill be getting a manual but i havent driven one yet. but im sure ill pick it up quickly coz im quite a natural driver :)

so the question...
whats this i hear about having a light/heavy clutch...?
how does it affect gear changing/driving and which one is generally better?

SlipStream

HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
btw...ill be getting a manual but i havent driven one yet. but im sure ill pick it up quickly coz im quite a natural driver :)

so the question...
whats this i hear about having a light/heavy clutch...?
how does it affect gear changing/driving and which one is generally better?
Small cars generally have light clutches - meaning it's easy to push them in with your leg. Heavier clutches are generally found in bigger cars with more torque, where a clutch with a large clamping load is required. Thus you need more effort to push it in. Light clutches are easier to use really, cos they're just easy to push in and takes less effort than a heavy one. It doesn't really affect gear changing much if you adjust your driving style to accomodate the weight of the clutch pedal, although with heavier clutches it's easier to "kangaroo jump" (where you let the clutch out just a little too fast and the clutch springing motion begins to 'bounce' off the friction plate as the clutch tries to clamp, causing the car to jump/bounce annoyingly).

Driving a manual is like skiing; it's easy to pick up other people's flaws when learning and developing your own unique style. So be wary of teachers who may not be in the position to teach, and try to get professional driving tuition so you develop a good, proper technique. Also if you can, try to learn how to heel-toe downchange - although a racing skill, it helps with smooth driving on the road - which is what driving a manual is all about: smoothness.

SlipStream

HSC
DaddyK said:
A heavy and light clutch is also determined weather the clutch is connected to the pedal via cable or hydraulics.
Ahh yes, I forgot about that. FWD cars almost always have cable-operated clutches, which sometimes if ill-adjusted can be a pain in the arse to use, because their pick-up points are higher than normal. RWD and AWD cars, where the clutch is closer to the driver, often use the same hydraulic system that the brakes run on.

By the way, I'm still keen on the Fiesta...

SlipStream

HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
thanks dudes :). very helpful.

nah, i dont really like the looks of the fiesta..its too plain for my liking
I reckon it looks good, conservative but also original. But ahh well, that's your opinion. :p Want something a little less plain, check out the Renault Megane... haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)