Getting into the comp sci course (1 Viewer)

Sonata

HSC
so i didnt make the cut off for comp sci at unsw, though i did make it for the cut off at uws. im wondering if better to transfer internally since ill be applying for comp sci degree with a minor in arts, so in other words apply for the arts degree then add on the comp sci degree to it.
Or would it just be better gonig to uws and then transferring to unsw?
Also i had a previous yr 12 ,07'er, get into comp sci with a UAI of roughly 73-74 if i remember correctly. He said he got in since there were vacant positions so they let him in anyway, is this a late round offer thing or somthing else?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
not too certain how you can add compsci onto an arts degree then try to major in it. If you take on an arts degree, you are expected to do more subjects in the field of arts than in computing, which in the long run would be a waste of time.

Additionally internal transfers work within faculties only, not between them. If you were doing arts and wanted to do computing, which is engineering, you will have to apply through UAC, not the uni administration.

I suppose you should try UWS, work hard, earn a good WAM, and try transferring into UNSW. You can still leave UNSW as your first preference however.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
Do arts, but enroll in all first year computer science subjects(arts is flexible like that), pwn those subjects and transfer.

Once you settle in UWS, there's a pretty good chance that you won't even want to transfer anymore because it means loosing friends and having to make new ones etc.

Sonata

HSC
after attending opening day, i suppose i could sit for the diploma course which goes through the basics of engineering. Though from what ive read, comp sci just requires 1 year of maths and thats about it. So its probably a waste of a year. The thing is, getting to the penrith campus for UWS is time consuming might take probably an hour or over to get there.

@chucknthem
could u elaborate more? i dun quite get it, does this apply if im having arts as a minor while im majoring in comp sci? in other words, say if i did arts then decide to drop it to a minor and pick up comp sci and set it as a major.

Well generally i'd just like to stay at UNSW without having to do in external transferring from other uni's, are there other alternatives besides the diploma thing? Also im wondering UTS has the course comp sci, since this would save my travelling time by not going to UWS

Last edited:

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
I don't know about this diploma, but if you're sure that you want to do computer science at unsw, and is fairly confident that you'll be able to do well it it, internal transfer is the best thing you can do.

If you start with arts in first year, you can pretty much pick everything that a computer science student is doing in first year(i.e. math1131/1231/1081, comp1917/1927) then pick a couple easy arts electives to boost your WAM. If you maintain a credit average after first year, you have a pretty good chance of getting in, especially if you apply for FEAS (assuming your uai is above 75, if not, it'll be harder) and submit a letter saying how you pwned the first year comp sci subjects to the faculty of engg to show that you're capable of completing the degree.

This way, when you do transfer, all 48 units of credit that you did in first year are transfered over and you'll start 2nd year comp sci like everyone else who did comp sci.

Also, if your UAI is above 75, you'll automatically be considered under FEAS
Faculty of Engineering which considers how well you did in specific hsc subjects that are relevant to the faculty of engineering. more info on the FEAS: https://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/feas/apply/help/faq.htm

I emphasis that you have to be confident that you'll do well in first year, otherwise, go for the diploma.

Also, you can pretty much do an arts degree and pick mostly computing subjects (there are some restrictions on what 2nd/3rd year comp subjects though, but fill that in with arts subjects that you want to minor in) until the end of second year, then you can avoid the UAC altogether)

Sonata

HSC
well in the end i got into UWS ENG course, though i still would like to attend comp sci at UNSW.
So would it be advisabvle to do an internal transfer to the comp sci course in UWS and then transfer to UNSW
or
Do an external transfer to UNSW then do an internal transfer to the Comp sci course.

Also as i mention up before i'd like to do a combined degree with a minor in arts, so how will this work when i transfer to UNSW after missing a year of arts,
and do the comp sci and ENG students do pretty much the same subjects in their first yrs? or does that just apply to eng students in general?

ctrlaltv

HSC
Sonata:
as a fellow person who would like to do Comp Sci @ UNSW, try putting UNSW arts/science as first preference for your late/final round offer. You can pick all of UNSW Comp Sci 1st year electives with your arts/science courses, and just get a credit average and transfer to the actual thing at 2nd year. This is what I did for my b science offer for late round. I'm also saving $3000 by enrolling in a science course instead of a computer course. Good luck!!
btw: subjects I picked [Semester 1, 2009 ; B Science]
COMP1917
MATH1131
MATH1081
ENGG1000

Sonata

HSC
Sonata:
as a fellow person who would like to do Comp Sci @ UNSW, try putting UNSW arts/science as first preference for your late/final round offer. You can pick all of UNSW Comp Sci 1st year electives with your arts/science courses, and just get a credit average and transfer to the actual thing at 2nd year. This is what I did for my b science offer for late round. I'm also saving $3000 by enrolling in a science course instead of a computer course. Good luck!!
btw: subjects I picked [Semester 1, 2009 ; B Science]
COMP1917
MATH1131
MATH1081
ENGG1000
well i didnt receive an offer for comp sci for the late rounds unfortunately, so i guess chances of receiving it for the final rounds are pretty much close to zero

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)