Getting into med.. wat do i do?! (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
recently in english my class had to be an audience to some debate between schools, and one of the issues explored was getting into med. they said somefin about the umat along with an interview, and that they look for ppl that do extra-curricular activities and are social / outging etc etc

OMG!

my med future was just flushed down the drain in that brief moment. i wudve thought being a nerd was enuf to make a good doctor, but apparently noooo. they wanted a fag. story of my life.

gimme advice ppl pls, ur all so experienced n stuff. how do i rawt the system!? do i gotta go do those activities now? b4 yr 12 starts? start sucking up to ppl? god i hate ppl..

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
LOL, just join a sports club... do some volunteer work... Church?

Do you work? add that in, it's always a winner.

The social/outgoing crap you can always bullshit about, I guess.

You can always represent your school at stuff..

Good Luck :D

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
*points up*

what White Rabbit said. :)

Although...i'm a little worried that you want to do med and you don't like people. Because med is all about people. Suddenly the world seems more crowded, because you will be caring for them...all in a line...diseases and problems on legs...scurrying about the earth...

N

ND

Originally posted by Weisy
because you will be caring for them...all in a line...diseases and problems on legs...scurrying about the earth...
Wow you make it sound so good. :p

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
why do i get a vivid image of decaying limbs and rotten flesh?

hmmm....
:gridnod: damn straight!

although...decaying is not true. Soaked in carcinogens, more like it.

is a roflcopter
HSC
do easy charity work
like 40 hour famine
and sign up to every committee offered at school

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
i must say i approve of the med buildings...there quite nice inside...very...'im the best faculty in the uni' type buildings

:p
We only do it for the buildings. ;)

Giant Lobster

HSC
omg too much trouble i give up.
screw med, weisy's right, i hate ppl so ill make a malicious doctor. bah. i wanted to be a pathologist neway, doctors are no fun, and theres the element of seeing ppl on a daily basis. sick ppl mind u that wanna show u their ass.

bah
why do i have to join al lthese commities neway? its not like its gonna affect my med skills. lame system :rolleyes: they shud just have 5 umats or somefin and no interview. yeah, that wud be nice.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
so does it mean my future holds no med? I am not quite a sociable person until recently my situation got better... never had a part time job, never really liked anyone at school, always full of complaints, cynical, and on top of all of it - never had a girlfriend... I fell really.. umm... half bad half anxious I guess, the more questions I did on that day the more I realised myself looking foward to life after those 7 years of study... do my future holds no med?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
pffft - screw your extra-curricular activities, bcoz think about it, Giant Lobster, people who join up for volunteer work have either too much time on their hands, or are too shit to get a real job.

Having said that, just do a couple of hours part-time at (insert_your_local_business_here) and tell them you worked there. The reason being, volunteer organisations take almost anyone, but to get a paid job, you must have already had some qualities, are responsible and trustworthy.

nerdd

Originally posted by Frigid
pffft - screw your extra-curricular activities, bcoz think about it, Giant Lobster, people who join up for volunteer work have either too much time on their hands, or are too shit to get a real job.

Having said that, just do a couple of hours part-time at (insert_your_local_business_here) and tell them you worked there. The reason being, volunteer organisations take almost anyone, but to get a paid job, you must have already had some qualities, are responsible and trustworthy.
I quite like your theory Frigid. I hope they go by that :D
I didn't do any extra curricular this yr.. I didn't like anything that was on offer! it's not my fault :/
but I have been in the same job at my local newsagency for 3 yrs now and i typed the church newsletter sometimes.... (i think three times in total hahaha) i hope i remembered to put that down.. i can't remember.

spice girl

magic mirror
doctors who hate people go into research.

then you can conduct all sorts of cruel experiments....

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
yeah, that would be one great package of a person.

masochistic misanthropism...6 years in a medical degree to conduct cruel man-hating experiments. :D

sound appealing to anyone?

Giant Lobster

HSC
yeh. me.

but... again damn i have no job :( too caught up in studyin and 'nerdin it up' this year. sheeet...

studyin alot is a minus in the interview right? cos they apparently dont like nerds...
stupid, we nerds make great doctors!

is a roflcopter
HSC
is it true that you gotta work with dead people sometime during the degree?

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by Newbie
is it true that you gotta work with dead people sometime during the degree?
we're working with dead people now. because of lack of funding, they've been dead for a very long time. but apparently, we only touch dead people only for the first 2 years. you get to play with live people from second year onwards.

is a roflcopter
HSC
is it daunting? i would scream like a little pansy that i am
and where did the supply of bodies come from?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)