getting into education/teaching through tafe? (1 Viewer)

SUSYKINS

HSC
is there a course/diploma/advanced diploma that could get me into studying primary education/teaching at tafe?? because i've been looking around and i cant find anything, but then my friend who goes to tafe says that her friend is doing a course that will get her into teaching...

SUSYKINS

HSC
ok no one knows how to get into education in uni through tafe? D:

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Short answer: no TAFE course will qualify you directly to be a school teacher but....
Long answer: You may be able to do a TAFE course (usually Cert IV or higher) and get credits for a uni course (usually in place of the electives, see UNE's Bachelor of Teaching/General Studies) later, but you still have to compete with others for entry. The Cert IV in Assessment and Workplace Training (actually they have a new name for it now) isn't really about education, it's about training (which when you start to study an education or teaching course they explain the difference), but if you want to be a TAFE teacher - yeah go for it. There are numerous streams in the Cert III in Education Support (to be a teacher's aide) which might help you decide if it is the career for you or else keep the $ coming in whilst doing your teaching degree later. You can do the Diploma of Children's Services (basically trains you to work a childcare place) that usually wipes out a year or more of a Bachelor of Early Childhood Education which may qualify you to work at a Primary school (if it is a 4 year course and there is sufficient focus on 5-8 year olds) as well as preschools.
Check out open uni's (www.open.edu.au) as they are going to offer a Primary Education degree for the first time next year (through Monash uni, from memory, or else maybe Curtin) which has no entry requirements (although they do have a quota for that particular course). You can enrol in some Arts/Science/Business/IT/Psychology or something subjects to improve your prospects in gaining a place in the one I mentioned above or else a direct-to-uni normal place, plus probably would get credit so you aren't wasting any time. It's often easier to get credit for uni level work than tafe level work because the vocational competency based training system is quite different to uni learning so I would recommend looking at Open Uni's.

Hope that helps.

jaimesharp1

HSC
to teach at schools i would say the best bet is a uni course to teach at tafe minimum is a cert 4 workplace assessment and training and and a qualification in chosen field bare in mind that according to guidelines you are only meant to teach to 1 level below what you have but with teacher shortages in many tafe's this rule is often broken. uni

melodic_gal

HSC
SUSYKINS said:
is there a course/diploma/advanced diploma that could get me into studying primary education/teaching at tafe?? because i've been looking around and i cant find anything, but then my friend who goes to tafe says that her friend is doing a course that will get her into teaching...
Well

You could do a Diploma in Children’s Services which caters for Early Childhood/Childcare settings. This is a good choice because it will give you an hands on experience working with children. It will also give you an understand of children’s development. Universities like people who have done Early Childhood/childcare, because Early Childhood is the foundation before primary education this would also give you credits towards your chosen degree. There are people I know who have gone a done a B of Ed or B of Teaching early childhood before postgraduate to Primary at university.

Alternatively – you can try to Tertiary Preparation Certificate IV this is pretty good I have done this. It prepares you for university…subjects include Maths, English, Sciences, Humanities etc it also give you a score = uai

You can also make a appointment with the TAFE counsellor they will know more about the courses and advise you. Then you can decide which path to go.

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)