Getting into course; by chance and/or UAI? (1 Viewer)

superbird

HSC
hey. my uai is 91.75 and im applying for a course which had a uai cutoff of around 87 last year.
my question is, assuming that the uai for the course will remain the same and i have it as my 1st preference, do i automatically get an offer for the course?
if say 100 people applying for the course all have a uai of around 87 and the university can only accept 50, how would they determine who gets in? or would they just simply bump up the uai?
also, do applicants who have a higher uai get preference first? ie one person has a uai of 91 and the other has a uai of 90, course cut off is 87. do they both get accepted? if not, would the person with the uai of 91 get accepted first or is it just by chance?
sorry but im just a little confused bout the whole process.

tennille

HSC
If there are 100 people around a UAI of 87, and you got around 91, they'll pick you before them, that's if your course is based solely on your UAI.

I'm pretty sure that the universities pick students from the highest UAI to lowest, hence the university cut-offs. The university cut-offs are the lowest UAIs accepted into that course.

Jezzabelle

i figure.

say there are 100 places, but 150 students pick it... they just rank those 150 by their uai and take the top 100. the uai cutoff is wat the 100th person got.

hence the uai is a whole popularity thing, if 100, 95+ ppl decide all of a sudden they all want to do that course that is usually 87 cutoff, then the new cutoff will be 95.

notnownotever

PRINCE
HSC
no no..
ur uai was 91 and the 04 cutoff was 87..
rule of thumb.. the last person to enrole for instance if its 88. that will be the new cutoff.. dont worry u'll make it :eek:

hello99999

HSC
superbird said:
also, do applicants who have a higher uai get preference first? ie one person has a uai of 91 and the other has a uai of 90, course cut off is 87. do they both get accepted? if not, would the person with the uai of 91 get accepted first or is it just by chance?
Don't listen to everyone else, they do it by chance. They put every person's name who did the HSC into a hat (a very large hat!) and then they put all the course names into another hat (also a large hat). Then they pick a person's name from the first hat and a course name from the second hat, and then that person ends up doing that course. Then they repeat the process until all the courses are filled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)