Getting a motorbike (1 Viewer)

h4xapple

HSC
N/A
Hi, I was wondering if getting a motorbike license was worth it and was also wondering about the pros and cons of riding a motorbike as opposed to a car. Is it as dangerous as its hyped up to be or is it fairly safe as long as you keep your eyes on things? Thanks guys

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Pros
- Cheap to maintain
- Cheap on fuel
- Cheap to buy compared a car
- Low cost fun - really high smiles to cost ratio compared to a car

Cons
- More dangerous and only exponentially increases with bad weather
- No roof in the rain and there is weather that you can consider impossible to ride through
- Element of risk from drivers that are blind, stupid or ignorant and just don't see you. In a car, you have a safety cell while on a bike you go through the pearly gates backwards and on fire. I see motorbike related injuries in accident and emergency almost daily and they're rarely the fault of the motorcyclist.
- You need to wear the proper safety gear all the time and changing can be annoying as can very warm weather in summer
- Bikes can be as expensive as cars to insure

If anything bikes are more dangerous than people think, even riding sensibly you can't control idiots in cars coming at you. I cannot overemphasise that enough.

Last edited:

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
I've had a cruiser for 3 months now and honestly, i dont see the dangers of being on a bike. You crash just like any other vehicle and the only difference is losing balance and tipping over in a few situations (which you could easily jump off your bike if you value your health more than your vehicle) but the occasion idiot who thinks it's 'cool' to rip his vtec down a 60km/h limit road might be your only hazard, other than that its similar to any other vehicle.
Pros:
- A tank of petrol costs like 15 dollars to fill up full
- You eventually meet bikers like you through friends who ride and strengthen bonds with afternoon cruises (im not even joking haha)
- The insurance cost is cheap like it was only 300 dollars for 3rd party and i have zero experience and road hours
- If anything screws up or get scratches, the price to fix is only a portion compared to a car
- You can dnm with yourself on long cruises
- You dont feel as stuffed in when you're on a bike

Cons
- Falling is inevitable; riders will fall from wet weather, sharp turns, improper control of bike
- Your legs and bottom will tend to tense up during riding between 2-4 hours
- In NSW traffic, shifting gears can often be a pain
- A bike is much less balanced than a car, so the chances of slipping during a rainy day is exponentially increased.
- Riding without gear can be an awful experience if the weather is slight cold - i.e. no leather jacket, no gloves, no long pants
- The inevitable hard c*nt at a traffic light during a late night cruise will eventually request you to 'race me brah' and if you don't proceed to engage in their act of stupidity, they tend to call you 'a little b*tch'

Last edited:

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Every person I know who has a motorbike has had a serious crash (bar one). That's 11 people I can list off the top of my head - 2 who died. The issue is that a fall is inevitable, and when you do fall, it's more likely to be serious than if you were in a car.

As someone who has ridden behind people on motorbikes a fair amount, I really enjoy how much fun it is, and have considered getting a licence, but I probably won't because the chance of being is just way too high.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Not worth it. I done it and crashed not long after; then never rode again and sold it.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Not worth it. I done it and crashed not long after; then never rode again and sold it.
urgh you're one of those riders... You crash once, get up, see blood and be like 'nooooo my body isnt immune to crashes?!'

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
urgh you're one of those riders... You crash once, get up, see blood and be like 'nooooo my body isnt immune to crashes?!'
Nothing wrong with that, she had a go and decided it wasn't for her.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Nothing wrong with that, she had a go and decided it wasn't for her.
I hope this doesn't change anything, but would your opinion be different if Soloooo was male?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)