gettin a new laptop... (1 Viewer)

GaZ_2004

HSC
Last edited:

unistudent

HSC
nice but but why white? get black or silver. im only judging on the looks here. didnt look at other specifications.

GaZ_2004

HSC
unistudent said:
nice but but why white? get black or silver. im only judging on the looks here. didnt look at other specifications.
i'm a ibook fan....:)

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/pro...6-02-21_inspn_6000uma_N510210?c=au&l=en&s=dhs

Bigger monitor, same CPU/HDD/RAM, comes with DVD burner instead of rip off combo drive. $500 cheaper.
If you're buying soon they might give you the upgrades later on, or just wait until they get new specials in.

mouse $10
good carry bag $100 max
I don't see an extra battery listed on your link anywhere, still $400 cheaper and better.

GaZ_2004

HSC
LeftrightOut said:
http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/pro...6-02-21_inspn_6000uma_N510210?c=au&l=en&s=dhs

Bigger monitor, same CPU/HDD/RAM, comes with DVD burner instead of rip off combo drive. $500 cheaper.
If you're buying soon they might give you the upgrades later on, or just wait until they get new specials in.

mouse $10
good carry bag $100 max
I don't see an extra battery listed on your link anywhere, still $400 cheaper and better.
link doesnt work also the laptop has a dual layer dvd burner(i'm not gettin it from the site, it was the onli one i could find wit a pic of the laptop)... dell not a big fan i noe they r cheap, but their laptops look very plain... n the bulid quality ish a bit dodgy...

Last edited:

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
GaZ_2004 said:
link doesnt work also the laptop has a dual layer dvd burner(i'm not gettin it from the site, it was the onli one i could find wit a pic of the laptop)... dell not a big fan i noe they r cheap, but their laptops look very plain... n the bulid quality ish a bit dodgy...
It was a last day special on the 6000UMA, expect another one coming up soon. Mine looks ok to me but then again I am not sure how "sexy" a machine is supposed to look like. It has rounded edges and a black keyboard plus a screen that works. Had it for about a year now, dropped it in its case once, scraped around the place often and not handled like a newborn still works fine. plus I managed to get it for around 1k less than the nearest spec machine from elsewhere :)

GaZ_2004

HSC
politik said:
I too am considering buying that model. It's decent, not a speed machine, but good for everyday stuff.
yup... i got a decent desktop so i'm not too worried about speed... i noe that 4 $2k ish not the best deal... but ish damn hot, i'm onli worried about the screen killin me eyes cuz ish so small...the asus w5 isnt bad too but it sells 4 $2.7k the main diff between the w5 n m5 ish a webcam... so realli ish pointless....

Last edited:

modelzsuck

Kylie
HSC
GaZ_2004 said:
yup... i got a decent desktop so i'm not too worried about speed... i noe that 4 $2k ish not the best deal... but ish damn hot, i'm onli worried about the screen killin me eyes cuz ish so small...the asus w5 isnt bad too but it sells 4 $2.7k the main diff between the w5 n m5 ish a webcam... so realli ish pointless....
My bopyfriend got my a really good laptop for only 1900$, it has a huge screen and is pretty fast and looks good.

GaZ_2004

HSC
politik said:
Well, if you want looks and performance, try the v6. I'll be getting one for $2500 - its made out of anodized aluminium. Either way, if you just want some cheap workhorse, then dell is the way to go.
the v6 isnt too bad but i dunno bout looks havent seen a actual one so cant comment... i wish linux had better drivers n support then i would get a ibook...

Collin

HSC
N/A
If you're not playing games, doing intensive video editing etc., onboard video does fine. Infact, if you were legitimately worried about not having a dedicated video card, chances are you are looking for a speed machine, and hence shouldn't consider one of these ultra-portables anyhow (when your budget only allows $2k). This laptop is pretty decent for the majority of common applications, and very appropriate for users seeking a high degree of mobility.

If you don't care about mobility THAT much and prefer speed, you could go much much better with $2k.

As for battery-life, stick with Pentium Ms & Intel Core Solo/Duo systems and you should generally expect good performance. A typical Pentium M Sonoma system gets you around 3-5 hours battery life, and the new Intel Core Solo/Duo platforms can go upto 7 hours. If you end up getting an ultra-portable with the low-voltage Pentium Ms, you can also expect very long battery life.

Personally, I got a Dell Inspiron 6000 a month back as a desktop replacement and mobility machine for uni/work (so now my gaming desktop can be completely reserved for gaming only). I think Dell makes reasonable machines, and their level of customisation available makes it a very attractive option. Another reason I went for Dell was that it seemed to be the only place I could get a WSXGA+/WUXGA+ res screen on a 15.4" widescreen. I like to see alot on my screen.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
nwatts said:
Why not actually buy an ibook?
You then need to buy Mac compatible software, plus synchronising laptop and desktop could be more troublesome than if everything were the same OS.

Personally I'd wait for a Core laptop. They're slowly infiltrating the market. Even if you don't get one, the appearance of such laptops could push the price of Sonoma down.

Collin

HSC
N/A
politik said:
Well the probled with the New Intel Dual Core's is that they start from $2900 and rise.
Dell's new Inspiron 6400 with Intel Core Duo (along with 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, 15.4in" widescreen, DVD) goes for around ~$1600; available in 2 days time. Even this flashy Duo-boasting Toshiba I saw w/ fingerprint reader & most other bells and whistles retails at ~$2,400. You do NOT have to pay ~$3,000 for a Duo system.. that's ridiculous.

Collin

HSC
N/A
It's barebones only in terms of the processor (lowest of the Core Duos), but for business and general use, it's quite balanced with all the other specs very reasonable. The specs from memory are:

1.66GHz Duo
1GB DDR633
80GB 5400rpm
CD-RW/DVD
15.4" SXGA+

The great thing about this is that it's pretty much the price for a Pentium-M 740 system from Dell (with all other specs same).. and if I were to fork out the same cash, I know I'd definitely prefer the next generation dual core Intel which is only ~80MHz slower than the current generation single core Sonomas. Seeing this today.. it kinda made me wish I waited just one month before getting the Inspiron 6000. :eek:

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
I'm about to buy a BenQ S53w v08 with 1GB ram upgrade - You should check it out I reckon it's the best option for 13" - 14" laptops.

I also like the Asus W6A, but it isn't worth $400 more...

GaZ_2004

HSC
Baiku said:
I'm about to buy a BenQ S53w v08 with 1GB ram upgrade - You should check it out I reckon it's the best option for 13" - 14" laptops.

I also like the Asus W6A, but it isn't worth $400 more...
checked it out 2dai... its on special 4 $2k plus a carry bag.... the stats r pretty good n it doesnt look too bad either, but still it doesnt have the looks of the asus m5...but i gotta say its a way better deal than the m5

Last edited:

GaZ_2004

HSC
Schroedinger said:
I'm probably gonna get a MacBook Pro, but I gather that's out of the price range.

I'm going to call it a PowerBook. STFU Apple, goddamn MacBook shens.

Are you going to Run Linux on it? Then I'd go with Dell.
i've had a look at the "powerbooks":) , they do fancy me but i'm worried about the compatability, also linux ish still missin sum drivers n stuff...

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
zing... i was kinda in a computer dilemma before as well :eek:

i looked around for a laptop in my 'price range' and it was really hard to find anything that would satisfy my needs (mainly graphically). so for now ive gotten a new desktop which worked out well for what i could spend :) ... but i know im eventually going to have to fork out for a laptop, and when i do it will definately be a macbook pro ;)

as ^ said, dual booting is gunna be going down soon, so no compatability worries :) i wish it wasnt taking everyone like adobe/graphisoft (creators of archicad) so long to go universal, cause i probably would've gone straight for the MBP now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)