• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Get into UNSW Com/Law (1 Viewer)

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
Which way is easier to get into Com/Law at UNSW?

1. Do Com/Law at Macq for one year
2. Do Com at UNSW for one yr

?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
http://www.unsw.edu.au/futureStudents/undergrad/sad/admoffcontct.html

call them they will give u the best advice in regards to transfers
it would be better to look at this pagehttp://www.law.unsw.edu.au/Future_Students/undergraduate/admissions/A07.asp and then contact the Facultyhttp://www.law.unsw.edu.au/About_Us/contacts.asp directly.

as to the pro's and con's:

Straight Commerce for a year:
Pro: no lagging - all courses done in first year recognised for commerce side of com/law
Con: if your interest in commerce mirrors mine, then your marks may not be good enough to get a D-average to transfer.

Law @ MQ then external transfer:
Pro: no matter what you're doing law as your first undergraduate degree.
Con: not all MQ courses may be accredited, so if you transfer you'll be a little behind (i don't know. you'll have to check compatibility between MQ Commerce and UNSW Commerce).

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
mitsui said:
ok thanks a lot.
=)
it's far too early in the morning to be talking about transfers.

good luck.

M@C D@DDY

HSC
Neither option would be a disadvantage to you in terms of academia, but I would have to say that transferring from one law degree to another will mean less time settling in at the new law school. With that said, doing commerce at UNSW will mean that you are already familiar with intangibles such as exam processes, timetabling issue...etc. Good luck whatever you choose.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
hey, im thinking of doing the same thing as you mitsui. Ive been talking to people and heard that MQ doesnt do all the commerce subjects done at UNSW. Ill check up on that.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
I know of some school friends who transferred quite easily from BCom and BCom/BA to BCom/LLB with a strong DN average (80+) even though their UAIs (97ish) weren't very close to the law cutoff. The chance of transferring from BCom to BCom/LLB is high if you have good marks (DN) and a UAI close to the original cutoff.

Should you decide to do pure BCom first, avoid doing the Business Law subjects offered by Commerce as if you get into law, you need only credit your law subjects for the CA/CPA requirements I think.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
@ D@ddy - thanks. that is wat I am a bit sad about, i dont want to spread my uni life over 2 unis.. =_=

so the theory has come true.. i got 98.75,.. =(

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
@ frigid - thanks!

@ lottoX
- I know some subjects are taught under UNSW and not under UTS or MAcq, meaning we might have to study extra in 2nd yr (if we did get a transfer). i might go uts, macq too far for me, but UTS has Business instead of Commerce..not sure wat's the difference thou, need to check

keep our fingers crossed lottox! =P

___

EDIT:

just phoned UNSW

me: "is there a chance of getting in combined law with an uai lower than the cut-off?"
lady: "No. No way."

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Xia and jing don't go to UNSW zomg-lol-wtf-bbq-hahahaha it's for fobs :rolleyes:

I wish i was more fob so i could have chosen better scaling subjects like 5 unit maths 1 unit english 8 unit science and eco that probably would have pushed me up to 99 with my marks and at my gaysian school so i could be further fob and continue my studies at yu leng ess double yu.

I don't even know if that made grammatical sense =/ That's why i shall (seemingly) be the only 06er to go to usyd thus far haha.

Edit: also i'm not taking the piss out of asians i'm one myself. asses

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
MUHAHAHA
being a non-typical asian is the coolest thing bobness

well, it's UTS for me. =P

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
mitsui said:
me: "is there a chance of getting in combined law with an uai lower than the cut-off?"
lady: "No. No way."
not really. you could full-fee your way in (somewhere in the vicinity of $18000 p.a.).

bobness, yu leng ess double yu is tres-fob-cool :p.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
it's $20160 this yr for full fee. ouch
i can only manage to pay my CSP fee up-front through 4 yrs of working =(

i think i will get a transfer later, but D-average is probably not going to happen

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
dun worry - u'll have a ball of a time at UTS... marketcity/chinatown next door, central just a skip away - makes 9am starts bearable!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)