Germany (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well, I think that total war in Germany was declared until... 1943 I think off the top of my head, so Germany wasn't greatly affected until the last couple of years of the war.... where did this question come from, I certainly couldn't write a whole essay on it!!!!!!! Maybe a paragraph! Eeek!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah it wasn't declared until Germany started losing, and then they fell bout a year later so it didn't impact upon them much

s2ophie

HSC
*Total war was declared too late
*propaganda prior to declaration of total war was counteractive when total war was declared. Eg women had been promoted as they should be in the home but when total war called for women to return to workforce, many were reluctant

Thats off the top of my head so its not very good. If i got that question in the HSC i would chose the other alternative!

dandaman

ok thanks guys
i thought it was a bit shifty that question.. just wanted to check if neone else thought so..

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Hitler's determination resulted in loss of resources, i.e in Stalingrad, the Germans were being heavily defeated by the Russians and their General wanted to surrender but Hitler refused to give permission.

Benno

HSC
also hitler failed to use weapon he had sutuble

eg in 1936 Germany was leading the discoverys of Radar
and hitler ordered the new jet planes be made bombers not fighters

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by jgirl:).....
really? i got a whole essay on it

well what did you write about in it :)

jgirl:).....

bout total war? Speer has heaps to do with it, and so does Joseph Goebells....Goebells used propageanda 2 start convincin ppl on homefront to help.....in 1943 they realised wot bad position they were in, and since 2 begin they didnt let women help due to their 'ideology' so they had 2 change their whole manner bout it.. If it wasnt 4 Speer and his direction, there would be majorly low on armaments - the Republic to Reich text book has it

dandaman

jgirl.. is that republic 2 reich textbook good??

like is it worth buying etc.. or is it just a standard bedtime story version?

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
There's ground to write an essay based upon that question, but I doubt they'd give such a narrow question in the HSC, seeing the majority go over 10-15 years, and that question covers 1943-45. It's an awkward question, but presumably it would be an idea of talking about the various impacts involved, economic, social, military and so-forth, discuss how 'Total War' was used as a means of maintaining support and the ability to fight, and so-on. (Incidentally, Goebbels was made 'Plenipotentary-General For Total War' on July 19th 1944, or thereabouts.)

Incidentally, would it be worth discussing the volksturm in a question of that nature?

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
Incidentally, would it be worth discussing the volksturm in a question of that nature?
well if you told me what volksturm is i might consider it! :)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by s2ophie
well if you told me what volksturm is i might consider it! :)
The volksturm were the 'People's Army' created in late 1944 (I think the first formation was either October or November 19th, the same day the British Home Guard was disbanded) to supplant the troops defending Germany. These units were generally of poor quality, with the age of troops ranging from 16-60 (Although even this became worse towards the end of the war. There are many accounts of 12 and 13 year olds fighting in the volksturm), and often equipped with the panzerfaust. I figured that it would count as an aspect of 'total war', wider 'recruitment' and all that. (Which could possibly be related to the 1945 'flying court martials'. :( )

Last edited:

s2ophie

HSC
well thats lovely! I spose you could talk about it. I think it would have been lovely if my teacher had actually got around to teaching our class about what happened in the war but no! Why bother!

Benno

HSC
lol, i didnt know about that either, we did very little on the War too

jgirl:).....

sames! we didnt do it, tryin 2 do it my self - and bout da textbook - i think its gd,, because i think it summarises the info u need 2 no well...and brings issues up sonstantly - as kinda a revision...i like it, but ya no thats me? so pff!
wot is every1 preedictin questions 2 be on

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I hate to sound egotistical (If so, unintentional), but we didn't do it in class either. That's just stuff I learnt through reading about this sort of thing.

As for 'prediction', there are 16 points under the syllabus, but I'd presume they could ask questions about 10 different subjects, roughly. I think the last couple of years has involved racism/anti-semitism in some form.

2001 HSC.
Explain how Hitler made use of racism in Germany society between 1928 and 1945

2002 HSC.
Explain the nature and impact of Nazi propaganda, terror and repression on the Jewish community between 1933 and 1945.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm betting that we won't get a question on racism after the last two years... I hope we don't because we didn't do an awful lot on that in class either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)