German Continuers (1 Viewer)

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
Hey hey its over!
What did everyone think? I thought the writing questions were a bit dodgy, I mean, who would send an email convincing the class on their decision on a present for a student that's leaving? I mean come on! I thought the pen friend one was ok, the reading & responding was easy enough, and the listening wasn't too bad.
What are your thoughts? Post em here!

twat*

did anyone else fuck up the listening question which said you were meant to write in german? as in not see the german part??or was it just me....

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
i think overall it was ok - i hate having listening first tho coz my mind isnt in german mode and i always take a while to start understanding whats going on -
overall a good test tho - i did 12a and 13a

impulse_17

HSC
twat* said:
did anyone else fuck up the listening question which said you were meant to write in german? as in not see the german part??or was it just me....
you're joking rite... you've got to be joking/// there wasn't a question like that

waterfowl

HSC
Yeh I thought the test was overall quite good. Some of the questions were a bit "dodgy" but they weren't as bad as they could have been.

I don't know if I will get band 6 or really good marks but I think I did OK.

I did 12. (a) and 13. (a)

twat*

haha i'm not joking about the listening question....that was my reaction too as I came out and someone said about it! but it's alright, only 2 marks I guess, but it's just sooo annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i did 12a) and 13a) too they were clearly the best ones did anyone else find the comprehension questions a little wierd like that 6 mark one was so not worth 6 marks...they shouldn't do it in such chunks like that

overall fair test tho i liked the backyard blitz thing haha

Sammy_b

HSC
I didn't think the exam was too bad. But what was with the listening? It was too bloody fast!! I'd done practice listening tasks (and a couple of past tapes, ie actual past hsc ones) and it was never that fast. I'm not talking about the actual talking (that was cool) just the gaps between each one! I spent way too much time afterwards filling in the gaps, so my writing was a bit dodgy, but ah well...

Yeah, both my friend and I (i.e. the only other person who does german with me at my school ) both wrote in english for q3. But we did realise and cross it out afterwards....looked pretty messy. That was tricky though! That'll prolly get most people.

dollparts

this above all else?
HSC
i didn't like that exam. luckily i answered that crappy listening one in german, although one of my friends did it in english. and have they ever asked you to compare the comprehensions to each other? what was with that! i suppose it was an ok exam, but i didn't like it. guess we'll just hafta wait and see.
hope ext isn't that hard... eep

Farkette

HSC
i agree on the listening part, ie that there was not as much time in the gaps to fill in answers.
my new tactics may have contributed to it as well, cos i used to start my proper response while the tape was still plaing, and miss some parts even in the second reading. but today i was writing notes furiously in the margin and pretty much did all my answers after the tape finished.

i did pick up on the writing in german part, thought it was a bit dodgy as ive never seen it before in any of the past hscs.. but i did it

oh and did anyone else think that the psycho guy at the airport was talking a little too fast? i mean i know his language was meant to reflect his feelings etc but i found it tricky getting all the words.. and im normally pretty good at listening for details..

i spent a while perfecting these answers and the read/respond part..so i think my writing suffered and i definitely rushed it, right to the final second of the whole 3hrs!

anyone else rekon it was weird how the one of the text-based respone thingos incorporated both texts? i mean its probly a bit unfair if for example, someone found the swimmer katarina story harder, and was subsequently hit twice when a q for the other text was asking shiat about the first one!
i had no trouble myself, but im just letting the inner politician speak out for equal rights!! lol

Last edited:

nit

HSC
Hehe, the guy on the tape teaches at our school, and yes he does have a tendency to speak fast at times in listenings.

chepas

HSC
bloodysunday said:
I thought the writing questions were a bit dodgy
twat* said:
did anyone else fuck up the listening question
waterfowl said:
Some of the questions were a bit "dodgy"
Sammy_b said:
But what was with the listening? It was too bloody fast!!
Oh good, all Germanophones had universal problems today!!!!!!

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
I thought it was a pretty good exam, but i know i'm biased... did (a) for 12 + 13, i agree that they were clearly the better choices.

Listening was probably the least likable part of the paper, I had trouble understanding bits and pieces but i think i got most things. The airport dude was too fast tho, and a bit muffled sometimes.
With q2 of the listening, what did you say was special about the offer? was it the fact that you got free entry to fitness clubs all round germany as well as being modern, youth friendly etc, or something else - i wasn't focusing hard enough.
Reading was ok, but the relating of the two texts was unexpected, though managable.
Ah well, best of luck for the rest, especially Leistungsdeutschers. :)

waterfowl

HSC
Yeh the gaps were kinda small, but thats only comparing it to exams when my teacher would actually stop the tape player :p otherwise I think the gaps were rather normal.

It was a bit mean linking the two texts together, especially a question that is more asking opinion; I don't know how they judge our German skills from that. Maybe they are just looking for a good universal knowledge.

I didn't think any of the speakers spoke fast, there was only half a sentence of the airport guy that I didn't quite get, otherwise I though it was OK. I guess thats because I spent three weeks in Austria this year trying to understand them when they spoke soooo fast to each other (and in dialect).

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
I've been used to my teacher reading them out instead - his tape recorder isn't great for quality for an exam, and he put on voices on the tape for the different people, which made us laugh at him (in a nice way, he's a champ).

In comparison to Germans speaking normally, the airport guy was probably simlar or slower. But when you're doing an exam and haven't been to Germany/Austria for two years (or ever), and he's fast in comparison to the other stuff, it's unnerving.

Sammy_b

HSC
Farkette said:
i

i spent a while perfecting these answers and the read/respond part..so i think my writing suffered and i definitely rushed it, right to the final second of the whole 3hrs!
I did exactly the same thing! i did my last writing part (i did q 12 a last) in about 10 minutes...very 'dodgy'. (that's such an apt word for exams)

twat*

just with the 6 mark question..did most people say that the swimmer WAS a hero? or that she wasn't cos I spent too much time trying to decide and in the end I said she was...I reckon it is dodgy having to compare the two comprehensions (they should save that sort of thing for extension-on that note I rekon the extension exam will be comparing business class and hunne somehow)

Sammy_b

HSC
I know that maths marks definitely get alligned (i.e. even before UAC get's hold of them). Does anyone know if they do that with German marks? Like, if you actually got 90% u'll prolly end up with a mark of 93%?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)