German >_> itz easy but hard (1 Viewer)

FlameznFrostz

:chainsaw: grr the structures and the dative and accusative cases :eek: i understand it but i can't put it into my writing and speaking.:mad1: grr >_> and the die das and der -.- so annoying.

chepas

HSC
Yay. I feel your pain.

I found that getting a table of the cases: Nom, Gen, Dat, Acc etc and sort of repeating them like a mantra works good, choose like 'der, die, das, die' - nom, 'den, die, das, die' - acc ( I think!) and then your set for endings.

Then the hard stuff is trying to remember which case to use for what! Usually prepostions need the dative - auf der linken Seite etc..., genitive is for possession - Ingrid ist die Freundin meines Vaters. Usually that is effective to remember...

Main thing is just practice, and getting used to it!! I've only had the recent epiphany too :D

Anything else specific that is just argh?

nitabita

aargh i hate all the cases! i just go with what sounds right and hope for the best!

chepas

HSC
Originally posted by nitabita
aargh i hate all the cases! i just go with what sounds right and hope for the best!
Yeh same. Then I look it up in the dictionary and see that "Brief" is masculine not feminine, and its f'ed up the entire sentence with the preposition+dative/accusative! :(. It's fem in French, why can't it be fem in German!!! Danged Europe :angry: hehe.

Sezzza

I find the language a complete puzzle...speakings alright...but the rest, what can i say, 'keine ahnung?'

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
My class has a little rhyme to remember preps that always take dative:

Aus, bei, mit, nach, seit, von, zu,
All take dative, so should you!
(plus gegenueber and ausser)

Also an acronym for preps with accusative: BOGFEUD...

Bis
Ohne
Gegen
Fur
Entlang
Um
Durch

Hope that helps a bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)