George Orwell (1984) (1 Viewer)

veridis

droog
HSC
not a bad book but i find people read too much into it and use it as an all purpose reference. while i dont dislike the book it has been misinterpreted s people say and it doesnt get its message across overly clearly. it does however always make an impact upon the reader given its shock value. books like we, anthem by ayn rand, Brave New World(and island on the topic of huxley) and Fahrenheit 451 by bradbury are much more effective and direct in their critique. A Clockwork Orange(both book and movie) and Sheep Look Up do the whole shock and awe thing better have are more stylistic if you're looking for that.
still while its overrated its not bad and theres alot worse people could be reading

as you can tell i'm not at all impartial to my dystopian/speculative fiction

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I agree that it has been grossly misinterpreted, though to be fair Animal Farm makes the point much clearer.

I found nothing 'freaky' in either 1984 or Animal Farm, 1984 I found very good in that it was moving and I felt a real connection to the characters. As for Animal Farm I loved the references and symbolism, though it too did stir the emotions.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
You need to qualify a comment like that.

Interestingly he fought in the international brigades (communist volunteers drawn from around the world) against Franco's forces in the Spanish Civil War. It is said that his experience of Stalin's purges of the brigades as formative of his beliefs in regards to the dangers of totalitarian 'communism' espoused by Stalin.

Danoz The Great

HSC
I used to like animal farm, but we had to study it for prelim english (conformity and the individual) so now i despise it.

But i haven't read 1984, and it seems like a great book.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i'm about to start reading this book
i hope its good most of u seem to like so i spose thats a good sign

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
Finished it last night. Brilliant! Goldstein's book in the middle was fascinating and

SPOILER!

The talk with O'Brien in the ministry of Love was so well written, and it ended really well.. in the same sort of ending as Animal Farm

Terrific book! 9.9/10!

Last edited:

danie

a fool
HSC
1984 was great, though i'm more partial to his piece down and out in paris and london as well as his other work homage to catalonia.

KingMassive

HSC
N/A
yeh absolutely great book, read it with animal farm together, they go well together. but it maybe a little too political for some peopl's liking...

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i finished it the other day and really enjoyed it.
i am thinking of reading animal farm now after i get into the whole routine of uni.
i wasn't a fan of reading Goldsteins book in the middle.
but it was still a great book anyway.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
George Orwell is a fantastic author. I only got into him last year, but I love nearly everything he has done from his books, his short stories and even his essays.

My favourite piece of his is "Shooting an Elephant" (short story).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)