George Eliot (1 Viewer)

clerisy

HSC
I think George Eliot has faded from the awareness of the "youth of today" which is a great tragedy. Does anyone else adore her books as much as me?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
umm forgive me for my ignorance :p...but I thought George Eliot was a "he" :confused:

we ARE talking middlemarch here right?!

astro

HSC
nope....George Eliot was a she....i think she changed her name because it was more socially acceptable in those days for men to write novels than women....
I watched the BBC porduction of 'Daniel Deronda' and now i'm trying to motivate myself to read the book....

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
she was in the English comp, that's all i know about her

clerisy

HSC
Originally posted by astro
nope....George Eliot was a she....i think she changed her name because it was more socially acceptable in those days for men to write novels than women....

I think also because she was copping a lot of scorn and scandal because she was living 'in sin' with a (separated) married man and didn't want it to affect the reception of her books...

astro

HSC
just finished reading daniel deronda.....i understand the criticism....

Demandred

HSC
Its more than just a yawn :p. Hmm... now you mention it, the text does look a bit feminish.

clerisy

HSC
Boring? I absolutely adore Middlemarch... it takes a couple of chapters to get into it, but once you do... I just love Eliot's language. It's so... (and this is going to sound corny) beautiful. Aesthetically pleasing! Out of all the books I've read, I think its the one in which I gained the clearest visual and atmospheric image of the characters/setting/plot etc.

After all, as Will Ladislaw says, "Language gives a fuller image, which is all the better for being vague. After all, the true seeing is within; and painting stares at you with an insistent imperfection."

I am in love with Will Ladislaw.

End gushing.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Though im a devout JA fan, im finding MM too wordy - often reading words withouth comphrehending them... whats wrong with me?

Cicciolina

HSC
I bought Middlemarch intending to do it for my Eng Ext 1 related text but didn't have enough time to start it! I saw the Daniel Deronda version on TV though last year, on ABC, the BBC one. Hugh Dancy is hot :shy:

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Cicciolina said:
I saw the Daniel Deronda version on TV though last year, on ABC, the BBC one. Hugh Dancy is hot :shy:
hehe i definately agree! after watching it on the ABC i couldnt help but swooon...at the mere mention of him. Eventually my friends bought me the video and now i can dispose of him at my pleasure :)

Cicciolina

HSC
veanz said:
hehe i definately agree! after watching it on the ABC i couldnt help but swooon...at the mere mention of him. Eventually my friends bought me the video and now i can dispose of him at my pleasure :)
He's in that movie Ella Enchanted. It's a kiddies movie... but but but he plays the Prince! :D I'll save embarassment and wait till it comes out on Dvd maybe :p

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
ember & cicciolina>>

hehe we should have a thread dedicated to him then!

Cicciolina

HSC
veanz said:
ember & cicciolina>>

hehe we should have a thread dedicated to him then!
Hehe well not totally opposed to that ;)

Back to the topic, Middlemarch is on the looong list of "Books I should read". :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)