Geo teacher = crap (1 Viewer)

chuckabanjo

HSC
So we got a new Geography teacher this year, and after about 6 lessons he still hasn't written anything on the board but his name.
We got an essay to do last lesson on what we had 'done' in class, (ecosystems at risk topic), and i realised i didn't know anything about it, so I had to go learn it from the text book before I could write my (very dodge) essay. And I do listen in class lol.

Any suggestions?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Uhhh .. that's what you get for doing Geography ?

On a serious note ... self-motivation is like important.
In my Year 10 geography days I was sometimes the only one who completed my Geography homework satisfactorily .. I hated it but I still tried.

ALLLICE

HSC
f3nr15 said:

On a serious note ... self-motivation is like important.
In my Year 10 geography days I was sometimes the only one who completed my Geography homework satisfactorily .. I hated it but I still tried.
:eek: Geography's an awesome subject (and im sure most other geo kids agree) ...how dare u treat it with such disrespect! The senior geo course is like 1000x better than the mandatory "Australian Geography" bullshit that we're fed in yrs 9 & 10...

Anyway to chuckabanjo: all i can suggest is perhaps going through the syllabus accompanied by ur textbook and/or a good geo study guide (the macquarie one's excellent) and make notes on what ur teacher's supposed to be teaching u... or get a geo tutor... but hey, maybe things will get better?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
ALLLICE said:
:eek: Geography's an awesome subject (and im sure most other geo kids agree) ...how dare u treat it with such disrespect! The senior geo course is like 1000x better than the mandatory "Australian Geography" bullshit that we're fed in yrs 9 & 10...

Anyway to chuckabanjo: all i can suggest is perhaps going through the syllabus accompanied by ur textbook and/or a good geo study guide (the macquarie one's excellent) and make notes on what ur teacher's supposed to be teaching u... or get a geo tutor... but hey, maybe things will get better?
I wish I could say what you said to a girl who does geography (and the only one in our school doing it in yr12) ... she hates science...i keep my cool because we biologists, chemists & physicists outnumber the geographer, if we didnt id get angry.

Anyway the only thing I remember from Geography was Transnational Corporations.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
I di the shit geography (ALA yr9-10) and had the shittest teacher in the world. Her nickname around the school as "The bitch"

ALLLICE

HSC
f3nr15 said:
I wish I could say what you said to a girl who does geography (and the only one in our school doing it in yr12) ... she hates science...i keep my cool because we biologists, chemists & physicists outnumber the geographer, if we didnt id get angry.

Anyway the only thing I remember from Geography was Transnational Corporations.
LoL...I'm not about to create a geo/ science stand off :cool:...that would be rather foolish not to mention pointless (in the same way that a food tech/ anything standoff would be ridiculous lol) :rofl:

... but yeh, it really does depend on ur school/ class size/ teacher...i was lucky to be fortunate on all three counts

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Just make your own dot points from the text book. With anything you don't understand, or can't grasp the concept, just ask them straight out about it and force them to explain it to you.

ddtng

HSC
ALLLICE said:
LoL...I'm not about to create a geo/ science stand off :cool:...that would be rather foolish not to mention pointless (in the same way that a food tech/ anything standoff would be ridiculous lol) :rofl:

... but yeh, it really does depend on ur school/ class size/ teacher...i was lucky to be fortunate on all three counts
I think I will be deciding on whether Geography or the Sciences are better once I get my results back... ;)

pc4pc

HSC
geo teacher = crap then you will = crap.

unless you absolutely concentrate in class and listen intently, since he/she doesn't write notes on the board. uhawww's suggestion up there will wok.

relena

HSC
Hey, i am in year 12 geo this year and it ain't that bad, even though i don't really have a good teacher....
All i can suggest to u chuckabanjo is: (some of this others have already said but anyway)
- just study as much as u can from ur book
- use the syllabus
- maybe u can get other people's notes from boredofstudies
- and if u don't already have: Senior Geography 2 By Pain, Hutchinson, Lanceley & Reeves, u should consider buying it. It is quite a good book, especially for extended response question on the HSC exam.
Gookluck, for this year. I hoped that i have helped u. :)

melhoneybee

HSC
N/A
if your teacher is not helping you then circumvent them by asking other geography teachers at the school for help. Most of them should be happy to help you and hopefully one of them will be more helpful than your teacher.
Have you spoken to your teacher about the lack of notes and understanding for students? Tell them what you need, maybe they are just not thinking.

Jesykka

HSC
f3nr15 said:
Aha, agreed. Why would anyone do GEOGRAPHY? :p
I forgot everything I'd ever learned about geography as soon as I walked out of those exams room doors after my school certificate... aha.
I've had teachers like this. I've actually reached the point of asking them to PLEASE write notes on the board or give us sheets to go through and highlight atleast. Our Food tech' teacher was a bit like that last year, we have a new one who is so organised, it's great! :D
I used to just make sure I was taking my own notes, and some of the more dedicated (nerdy) kids in our class would go through the text book after class and take notes on whatever we were studying. Seemed to help them! :p

findaway

HSC
Hey, don't worry, it may be better than you think! I know everyone hates our Geo teacher. But we all agree that it's better to have him than the other teacher we had in yr 11, when he was sick. She was evil, and when she taught us Political geography, it was disasterous. I don't even know if thats how you spell it, let alone anything about it. I am just grateful to have my teacher back.

Anyway, went a bit off topic, sorry, but the point is that you never feel like you learn anything from my teacher, but the weird part is that you know everything there is to know by the time exams come. Maybe your teacher has a similar problem? Just try to keep constant notes, in any case. It helps in any subject.

neeknitsuj

HSC
My former geography teacher was pathetic. He always had a thick layer of spooge surrounding his mouth and spoke with a irritatingly high voice. Another one of my geography teachers strongly resembles Mr Bean.

fireman-samm

HSC
i have my geog half yrlys on weds. & my geog teacher is hopeless.
we watched the same movie 3 times, in 3 consecutive periods, & he didnt even realise. a week later wethen had a substitute ad you know what..we watched it AGAIN.
we have learnt absolutly nothing. none of us even know skills.
& i asked him if we could go over then & he gave me some sheets that had already ben filled out.
so since then i hav sen another teacher, she stole me a few textbooks and i'v been teaching myself,which isnt going so well. i think we are gettin a dif teacher for the second half of the yr but it will b a sub but yeh she will be waaay better hopefully.
hope your teachers are alot better then mine :bomb:

sarah-jne

HSC
ahahahaha...hello chuckabanjo. lol.

"OH, my spleen!!!"

cya later ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)