Geo- Difference between conservation and preservation? (1 Viewer)

Iq

HSC
Hey

Can someone please explain to me the difference between preservation and conservation?

Cos one of the mc question in 2002 SC for Geography had the choices between conservation and preservation.

Iq

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
conservation: "management of the human use of the biosphere so that it may yield the greatest sustainable benefit to present generations while maintaining its potential to meet the needs and aspirations of future generations. It includes the preservation, maintenance, sustainable utilisation, restoration and enhancement of the environment." - some website

preservation: "the action of preserving, protecting or safeguarding a portion of the natural environment from unnatural disturbance. It does not imply preserving an area in its present state, for natural events and natural ecological processes are expected to continue. Preservation is part of, and not opposed to, conservation." - some website

hope this helps - also, these are right, i didn't just pick woteva lol i did yr12 geo! fun fun!

specialkay

HSC
N/A
Hey,
According to my Geography teacher,

Conservation means looking after or managing a natural resource and making use of it in some way, just as long as it's sustainable for the future.

AND

Preservation means saving or protecting a natural resource without any use on it.

I realised someone had already replied to your question but I thought I'd make the definitions a little simpler for you. I had the same problem with those 2 words, as they both had very similar meanings in the dictionary. When I looked up "conservation" in my dictionary, it said "to preserve" so I didn't get much help there. I had to verify with my teacher and he gave me those definitions. I hope it helps you but you might want to check with someone else just incase I'm wrong. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)