Genetics Challenge Question (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I am not sure if this is a good question or not, but for those of you who did the genetics option, or even the genetic topics, would have learned how the process of cloning works.

In the cloning of Dolly, one of the step invovles the extraction of udder cells from Sheep 1. These cells are important because the genome is going to be inserted into an egg from Sheep No. 2.

Scientist starve these udder cells (I'm not sure how, probably inoculate them into a nutrient limited broth). Why do you think this was done?

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
So the cell doesn't start dividing????? The tissue culture medium is adjusted to starve cells and maintain them in the G zero stage of the cell cycle. During the G zero phase, the cell, viewed from this perspective, lives through a completely "altruistic" phase.

It can still survive... i think...

The G phase is shown in this picture...

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
From memory, nutrient deprivation interrupted the normal growth and division cycle of a cell, thus allowing them to 'reprogram' it with the new nucleus

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
While you're still answering the first question, I've got another interesting, not necessarily "challenging", for you.

In one of your option textbook for genetics, the author wrote about the Human Genone Project:
"Because chromosomes occur in homologues, identical pairs, it is only necessry to sequence 24 chromosomes, that is, the X and Y, and one member of each of the other 22 pairs"

Do you see some minor error with this sentence?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I'll PM you so it won't spoil the chance from everyone having ago. :D

malkin86

HSC
Survivor39 said:
While you're still answering the first question, I've got another interesting, not necessarily "challenging", for you.

In one of your option textbook for genetics, the author wrote about the Human Genone Project:
"Because chromosomes occur in homologues, identical pairs, it is only necessry to sequence 24 chromosomes, that is, the X and Y, and one member of each of the other 22 pairs"

Do you see some minor error with this sentence?
22 pairs and one X and one Y chromosome doesn't = 24 chromosomes, it equals 46.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
No that's not it.
The author meant that you need to sequence 1 chromosome from each homologous autosomal pair (44/2 = 22 chromosomes), then sequence both sex chromosomes (2). Giving 24 chromosome sequences.

k_stroud22

UAI 2006 83.70
HSC
Sorry, i have no idea....maybe 'homologues' is spelt wrong? *hides under the chair for her ignornace...*

simplistic

nice as ice
HSC
so there is no error ?
because the homologous r the same so u need one of each 22
but the x and y r diff so u need both therefor ull need 24

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Answer:

Are both copy of your chromosomes really identical? No. You could be heterozygous at cetrain loci. Then, therefore, your homologues are not completely identical.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Is the answer to the first question because if the enoculated egg doesn't have any cells inside of it, it will lyse. But if the activity is temporarily inhibited, it will preserve the egg until it is needed....?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)