Generic In the Wild Question (1 Viewer)

jackono

HSC
Hi, this question has probably been asked and answered a million times on this forum over the years but i need urgent help for my imminent trial. im trying to write ideas/practice essay for this question:
"How does a comparative study of the texts Brave New World and Blade Runner help forge your understanding about man's relationship with nature?"
Now in terms of writing the essay and the obvious need to write reflective statements from a personal perspective, im fine. Its just that the word 'nature' for me directly evokes images of birds and forests and trees and the like. But this isnt just what its all about is it? Do you sort of just take the word 'nature' to mean 'human nature' and therefore human behavioural patterns/attitudes and thus can bring in points about the idea of emotional and spiritual capabilities being inextricably linked to the notion of humanity? I don't know - just to me it seems like a long bow to stretch. I know you can talk about the point of environmental degradation, yada yada, but I know that you should be able to bring in human relationships into this as well. How would you guys approach this question? Am I right, or am I missing the point? Please help!

Muso7

HSC
Hey,
i'm no english pro, but i'm pretty sure you need to look at the concept "in the wild".. ur right about birds and forests and stuff like that . "in the wild" and nature, bring to mind that sort of thing. The "wild"that is being displayed in both those texts are the opposite... basically when I was writing a response for a reaeeeealllyyy similar question, I had a plan that in the intro I would introduce the texts, then I would write about their contexts and how man's relationship with nature has been altered because of the use of technology. Eg. for blade runner... growing fears of nuclear bombs and stuff like computers taking over jobs were a few things that inspired the text. Blade runner seeks to show a world in which the role of nature is subverted from what we see it as now.. sortof to challenge the viewer.

Sooooo anyway, I think that you need to look at how nature is treated in the texts. Eg. in Brave New World nature is completely isolated. That sortof thing.. hope that helps a little bit :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)