• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

General UTS chit-chat (2 Viewers)

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
Re: The UTS 'Secks and omg it is Week 8 now right?!' Thread

Haven't been here for a while (well, I have, just not posting). No mid-sems for me :p Did have a Tax Law presentation on Monday though. Yayyyyy holidays. Love it. Although grad apps+PotI assignment and work dilute the love </3

Oh well, not going to uni makes it good enough for me!

maka

HSC

What is Tax Law like?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC

mid sem exam in 10 hours
hopefully have done enough study to warrant a pass at least :S

HSC

maka said:
What is Tax Law like?
Quite alot of readings and tutorials aren't that useful depending on the tutor. No Mid sem which is good and have to do a presentation with a group so go in a group with your friends to avoid having to go with randoms(ie: enrol in the same tuts as your friends when doing it)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

ragnarok said:
Haven't been here for a while (well, I have, just not posting). No mid-sems for me :p Did have a Tax Law presentation on Monday though. Yayyyyy holidays. Love it. Although grad apps+PotI assignment and work dilute the love </3

Oh well, not going to uni makes it good enough for me!
How are the grad apps going? I'm considering changing my study plan to 3 IT and 1 Business in Autumn next year to have more time on my grad apps..
I don't think I'd want to be doing Audit and MDC together and also working on them.

1/2 in exams. I thought CMS was easy today lol. ABC left.

dram

i do things
HSC

yeah CMS was ok. i had a brain fart and stuffed up the last part of question 1. i'm hoping for around 70%. i was hoping for a departmental overhead question because i spent a lot of time perfecting that.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

dram said:
yeah CMS was ok. i had a brain fart and stuffed up the last part of question 1. i'm hoping for around 70%. i was hoping for a departmental overhead question because i spent a lot of time perfecting that.
Oh the sales mix one... I just remembered how to do it in the last 15mins and scribbled my answer down..

I think Greg Pazmandy gave away that it was going to be a Process Costing question in Lecture 5 (he said "know how to do both methods... FIFO and Weighted Average"). FIFO questions was a marks giveaway though.. it was so similar to an AP question.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC

maka said:
What is Tax Law like?
I hate law subjects, but Tax is okay. The assessments aren't too bad, and the content isn't too confusing but yeah, it can be quite a bit to read through to get to the right answer.

Huratio said:
How are the grad apps going?
Grad apps are okay..I did most of mine last month. Some of them close tonight (Big4+other CA/CPA firms); I can't be stuffed doing EY or PWC applications :p Oh well. I've been rejected from 1 and heard back from 1 so far. Still a few more I should do..but I'm feeling so lazy atm.

HSC

Huratio said:
Oh the sales mix one... I just remembered how to do it in the last 15mins and scribbled my answer down..

I think Greg Pazmandy gave away that it was going to be a Process Costing question in Lecture 5 (he said "know how to do both methods... FIFO and Weighted Average"). FIFO questions was a marks giveaway though.. it was so similar to an AP question.
Don't you guys have Prabhu anymore haha you are heaps lucky had him in aut 07 and he made the subject pretty nasty- speaking to a few friends who did it in spring subject seems to be getting easier and easier.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

ifsonotso_100 said:
Don't you guys have Prabhu anymore haha you are heaps lucky had him in aut 07 and he made the subject pretty nasty- speaking to a few friends who did it in spring subject seems to be getting easier and easier.
Nope. David Bedford is the Subject Coordinator and Greg Pazmandy the Lecturer.

Prabhu took Portelli's spot in ATBD now I believe.

HSC

yeah that's good for anyone taking it this semester should be considerably easier since the thing which made CMS difficult was the uncertainty and how to apply your knowledge which looked different to ones you practiced in the past. we were given very few hints if any when I did my mid.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC

ifsonotso_100 said:
I did it in Autumn 2007 too and found it fine :p I think it was good the way it was (assuming it has changed in difficulty). It forced people to actually learn and not just regurgitate similar examples without actually knowing what was happening. People who found it hard simply did not study (or study consistently and tried to cram).

ifsonotso_100 said:
yeah that's good for anyone taking it this semester should be considerably easier since the thing which made CMS difficult was the uncertainty and how to apply your knowledge which looked different to ones you practiced in the past. we were given very few hints if any when I did my mid.
Again, the is only uncertainty if you didn't study. The questions were pretty obvious as to what topic they were. You only then just had to disect a bit of information by analysing what's given. Once you have that, it should have been smooth sailing. The questions were meant to test your understanding, so even if they were different to past papers (which they apparently, often are), you should be able to do them because you're applying the knowledge.

That's just my opinion though. I've found CMS to be the best run accounting major subject so far. It's difficult to understand, but once you truly understand it, it only becomes challenging (not difficult, if that made any sense). I do sense they scaled the final exam mark though :p

---

I want another week of break on top of VC week :/

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

ragnarok said:
I did it in Autumn 2007 too and found it fine :p I think it was good the way it was (assuming it has changed in difficulty). It forced people to actually learn and not just regurgitate similar examples without actually knowing what was happening. People who found it hard simply did not study (or study consistently and tried to cram).

Again, the is only uncertainty if you didn't study. The questions were pretty obvious as to what topic they were. You only then just had to disect a bit of information by analysing what's given. Once you have that, it should have been smooth sailing. The questions were meant to test your understanding, so even if they were different to past papers (which they apparently, often are), you should be able to do them because you're applying the knowledge.

That's just my opinion though. I've found CMS to be the best run accounting major subject so far. It's difficult to understand, but once you truly understand it, it only becomes challenging (not difficult, if that made any sense). I do sense they scaled the final exam mark though :p

---

I want another week of break on top of VC week :/
Hmm. I've done my homework every week for CMS, and also some self study questions and I thought the mid-semester wasn't that hard at all. I think the people who didn't do any homework in CMS would struggle badly.

Some people in past semesters has complaints about the format of the CMS teaching time- It used to be 2hr lecture and 1hr tutes before right? It has changed to 1hr lecture and 2hr tutes now- the problem being that in the lecture they go through things far to quick- and it requires some extra study to do the homework due for the tute the next week. Although, the tutes are extremely useful, because the tutor has gone through the homework answers in great detail (for 2hrs) and this irons out the mistakes I've made in them.

What did you get in CMS ragnarok? I'm going to assume that when you say "scaling" you mean scaling up =o.

I want another week on top of VC week too. Soon I'll need to start studying for my ACL mid-semester =(

HSC

Huratio said:
Hmm. I've done my homework every week for CMS, and also some self study questions and I thought the mid-semester wasn't that hard at all. I think the people who didn't do any homework in CMS would struggle badly.

Some people in past semesters has complaints about the format of the CMS teaching time- It used to be 2hr lecture and 1hr tutes before right? It has changed to 1hr lecture and 2hr tutes now- the problem being that in the lecture they go through things far to quick- and it requires some extra study to do the homework due for the tute the next week. Although, the tutes are extremely useful, because the tutor has gone through the homework answers in great detail (for 2hrs) and this irons out the mistakes I've made in them.

What did you get in CMS ragnarok? I'm going to assume that when you say "scaling" you mean scaling up =o.

I want another week on top of VC week too. Soon I'll need to start studying for my ACL mid-semester =(
It's been 1 hr lec, 2 hr tuts for some time, well it was for all of last year. I preferred it that way since you weren't rushed when taking down the solutions since I rarely ever got the answer completely right the first time around. Also gave ample opportunity to ask questions as well. I found the 1 hr lecture to be sufficient.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC

Huratio said:
Yes, scaled up lol. I didn't feel that confident after the final exam i.e. I'd probably get a distinction or so. I ended up getting high distinction so therefore I think it was scaled. Either that, or the crap I wrote for some sections I wasn't too sure about actually attracted marks.

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC

just wondering for those who use wireless internet on their laptops at uni.. how fast can you download from their wireless connection? 500kb/s? 50kb/s??

I got something to download and figured why not bring the good ol' lappy to uni to download.

maka

HSC

What were you in the paper for? Do you have a link?

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

Hmm... Back from 2 days at the Blue Mountains & Jenolan Caves... all refreshed now =)

maka

HSC

What mark?

I only got like 65% too

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC

I did worse than I anticipated, but at least I smashed my maths test today.

I already miss the holidays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)