• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

general UNSW chit-chat (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
damn. i had a bit of a suspicion - james, red hair, 3m high? lol.
3m! liek lol. Nah, I'm just under 6ft, pretty average. Look for me with an ALP shirt once I get it...that may be a while off actually.

I was walkling past those BBQ'ing folk this afternoon, and I suppose that was the bibley type thing everyone was on about. I was quite tempted to stop and get free food (it was free, right?), but it was late, I wanted to go home. Are there any more religious debates on this week?

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
I was walkling past those BBQ'ing folk this afternoon, and I suppose that was the bibley type thing everyone was on about. I was quite tempted to stop and get free food (it was free, right?), but it was late, I wanted to go home. Are there any more religious debates on this week?
Yeah it was free. No more debates, although that's probably a good thing for CBS (the athiest guy dominated that debate..) but there are talks on Thursday (Mathews A), Monday (Law Theatre), Tuesday (Rex Vowels) and again next Thursday (Mathews A).

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Haha

Seraphim came up to me on the train and said hi yesterday

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Yeah it was free. No more debates, although that's probably a good thing for CBS (the athiest guy dominated that debate..) but there are talks on Thursday (Mathews A), Monday (Law Theatre), Tuesday (Rex Vowels) and again next Thursday (Mathews A).
Hehe, athiests indeed. Mike Archer seems to be inclined to calling anyone who follows religion an idiot in the bio lectures, but he's held himself back. I don't see how one side could dominate a debate about religion though, seeing as there's really no evidence to prove or disprove the existence of anything. I suppose if you were debating one of those somewhat moronic parts of religion (no abortion for instance) then it would be quite easy to dominate the religious folk. For the record, I subscribe to a hybrid view of both religion, and science theories/models. Who's to say that God couldn't use evolution as a tool of creation, or that things that were written in the bible over 2000 years ago don't hold any weight today for instance. I mean, the only thing I've ever heard in the bible that makes a direct point against homosexuality would man that "man shall not like strange skin", or something of that nature. I'm not exactly sure why we should base our laws off a bible verse that has no sense or meaning behind it in this day and age.

I blame John Howard and his right wing/conservative foolish voters. Vote for John Howard one election and then start complaining after he takes unfair advantage of a senate majority (IR laws, immigration), and lies about things he can't control (interest rates). If you voted for John Howard, you got what you deserved, jerks.

The parking at train stations is getting quite hectic. Dare I say that if they wish to encourage more people to make use of public transport, then they should put more car parking spaces near the train station. It's common sense, right? Of course not, this is a moronic state government with an even more moronic opposition. Ugh.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Dumsum said:
I sang "Jesus isn't real, he's make believe" to the person trying to give me a flyer and they just stared at me. Seriously.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
too many stupid Christians you see...those talks they give are actually pretty good stuff. its not a 'be Christian or burn in hell' session like many US commentators love putting the public through. just gives you a Christian perspective on issues such as sex, truth and love.

all the Christians who tried to cut down the non-reverend guy on monday got redonkulously pwned. those debates need to be more inflamatory and offensive.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
Speaking of OMB, it's the most stupidly designed building ever. Rooms 149 and 145, 146, 147 & 148 are located about 5 minutes away from each other, and in totally seperate hallways so there's no chronology between them. Whoever designed that needs to be shot.
design was based on a hospital y'know.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
I don't see how one side could dominate a debate about religion though, seeing as there's really no evidence to prove or disprove the existence of anything.
I mean he debated much better--had a stronger argument, although it didn't shake my beliefs any more than I myself shake them.

Who's to say that God couldn't use evolution as a tool of creation
This I do believe. There's really no reason to doubt that the world itself has a similar freedom as do we in our 'choices.' It's quite simply stupid to believe in the 6000-year-old world.

I mean, the only thing I've ever heard in the bible that makes a direct point against homosexuality would man that "man shall not like strange skin", or something of that nature.
"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination." (leviticus 18:22) and "Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." (1 corinthians 6:9-10). Just a couple to consider. However, "love the sinner, hate the sin" still stands--christians aren't homophobes. We're just as detestable, in other ways (for example some of those other things listed). As for what -our- laws should be, that's a contentious issue--either way people still have the right to choose to break whatever law. That can't be taken away by anyone. Ideally our law would be "love God, love your neighbour as yourself" or if you don't like the 'christian-ness' of that simply "love your neighbour as yourself." Wouldn't that solve all the world's problems? We don't need pages upon pages of crap...

Anyway this is all somewhat irrelevant to "general UNSW chit chat" so to get back on track ... come to today's talk "truth ain't a dirty word" in Mathews A ;). It's about whether or not jesus is the only way to heaven.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Why do you think christanity is the right religion. Every religion says the same things.

I personally don't think any religion is right.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
If you want to get into a debate about religion, please pick another forum to continue it in. Before you know it every man and his dog will come in and it'll get out of hand.

Med

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Yeah hence why I tried to divert away... Talking specifically about the CBS talks though does fit in general UNSW chit chat.

gman03

HSC
Finally saucefest is over, now I can actually get food from uni....

Comes to think of it.... how come saucefest finishes on thursday not friday? are they especially run for FCE people? meh there goes my $250 ....

hehe

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
hehe lol the $256.8 goes much further than the SourceFest events run this week. Actually all our source volunteers help to do all of this...

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
I tried that trick where you don't have to pay fees. They still haven't charged me. :)

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
I didn't see much happen except for a massive queue at the indian place when I was getting my naan wrap, then realised there was a curry and coke deal for $5 :(

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I'm currently trying the trick of not paying. I'll pay eventually, just not now. Dirty student union people.

gman03

HSC
Let see how much DIRT there will be on the ground near where the stalls were.... poor gardener

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Hey speaking of which, who was the douchebag that decided to get rid of those tall grassy plants outside around the Michael Birt gardens. If I was ever up that way with some time to spare before or after something, I used to like sitting in that tall grassy crap. A despicable decision.

Has everyone been in the new law building?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)