• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

general UNSW chit-chat (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
@ma7: im pretty sure you need to pass it or if you just fail, they will just pass you anyway.

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
i loved chem in high school, should've done a chem science degree or biochem or someting
Why don't/didn't you?

interestingly I don't mind biochem that much; I understand that a lot better than all the inorganic chemistry stuff.

@ma7: im pretty sure you need to pass it or if you just fail, they will just pass you anyway.
Oh :( thanks anyway.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
u shouldve seen it at 1am when i posted it, when i saw it.
Why don't/didn't you?

interestingly I don't mind biochem that much; I understand that a lot better than all the inorganic chemistry stuff.

Oh :( thanks anyway.
when i was choosing my courses i wanted to do, i was still pretty much clueless as to what i wanted to do, i just chose engineering coz dad said it was good and coz he's an engineer.
bit too late to change now, considering i've finished 1.5 semesters and dont really have a good academic record, but schroedinger told me its possible.
meh, i'll see how i go.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I just finished the MATH2019 exam.
The only question I couldn't do properly was find the inverse Laplace transform of:

[maths]\frac{se^{-s}}{s^2+1}[/maths]

So I fudged it and got sin (t - 1) u (t - 1)
Did I forget to use partial fractions?

So the MATH2019ers of next year shouldn't ask me about this question and practically half of the Laplace Transforms section for June 2009.
But OK for the rest of the paper.

Yay, made it on the 2009 dean's list for ENGINEERING ?

I tried searching for deans list for Science students, I don't think it exists, can anybody confirm ?
OMG win.

lolwut

arent u 3rd year? why're u doing that maths?
Computer Engineering.

i loved chem in high school, should've done a chem science degree or biochem or someting
i used to chase people with soap bars carved into blades.
good times.
and before discarding solutions i mix them all together in one test tube or beaker. and it turned into funky psychledic coloursss.

u shouldve seen it at 1am when i posted it, when i saw it.

when i was choosing my courses i wanted to do, i was still pretty much clueless as to what i wanted to do, i just chose engineering coz dad said it was good and coz he's an engineer.
bit too late to change now, considering i've finished 1.5 semesters and dont really have a good academic record, but schroedinger told me its possible.
meh, i'll see how i go.
love a good challenge.

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
meh, i'll see how i go.
Nah, if it's what you really want to do, go for it.

and before discarding solutions i mix them all together in one test tube or beaker. and it turned into funky psychledic coloursss.
omg, me too.

I also used to team up with a few others during bio labs in high school, grab a couple of test tube holders (the 'big pegs', not the test tube racks), and then see how many we could clip to a particular classmate's skirt before she noticed. (Sometimes she'd be wandering around the lab with about four or five attached before she realised.)

Last edited:

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Nah, if it's what you really want to do, go for it.

omg, me too.

I also used to team up with a few others during labs, grab a couple of test tube holders (the 'big pegs', not the test tube racks), and then see how many we could clip to a particular classmate's skirt before she noticed. (Sometimes she'd be wandering around the lab with about four or five attached before she realised.)
omg thats why chem labs are fun (except sniffing hydrocarbons).
have you actually touched dry ice?
i poured water on it and it sizzled away. sssshhhhhhhh.

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
omg thats why chem labs are fun (except sniffing hydrocarbons).
have you actually touched dry ice?
i poured water on it and it sizzled away. sssshhhhhhhh.
No, I haven't touched dry ice (mainly because they kept telling us not to touch it?), but putting dry ice in a test tube, covering it with water and then adding phenolphthphthpthphthphthalein (and something else) was the most awesome thing I have ever seen during chem labs at uni. A bright pink liquid that smokes. Pretty cool.

(...and now, back to study.)

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I just finished the MATH2019 exam.
The only question I couldn't do properly was find the inverse Laplace transform of:

So I fudged it and got sin (t - 1) u (t - 1)
Did I forget to use partial fractions?

So the MATH2019ers of next year shouldn't ask me about this question and practically half of the Laplace Transforms section for June 2009.
But OK for the rest of the paper.

I don't think you forgot to use partial fractions, but the inverse transform of [maths]\frac{s}{s^2+1}[/maths] is cos t, not sin t.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Hmmmm.

Dumsum, now that you've reminded me...

I'm thinking of doing "Linear Algebra" next semester. If i do, I'll only need 9UOC more for a minor in mathematics. You guys think its worth it ?

(I'll be overloading by 3UOC next semester if i do take Linear Algebra).

Anybody who has done Second year Algebra, Is it intense ?

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Linear Algebra was one of my favourite second year maths subjects. I also liked Complex Analysis.

I hated DEs, but in retrospect (since I am now trying to be an applied mathematician) it probably is useful.

You might want to consider that subject where they teach you how to use MATLAB (Mathematical computing, maybe???) I didn't do it, but probably should have.

Btw, who is teaching Linear Algebra next semester?

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Hmmmm.

Dumsum, now that you've reminded me...

I'm thinking of doing "Linear Algebra" next semester. If i do, I'll only need 9UOC more for a minor in mathematics. You guys think its worth it ?

(I'll be overloading by 3UOC next semester if i do take Linear Algebra).

Anybody who has done Second year Algebra, Is it intense ?
Linear Algebra is good. It's a fairly interesting course. Plenty of applications are taught despite it being a pure subject (image compression using singular value decomposition, solving higher-order differential equations by turning it into a system of first-order equations, etc etc).

I didn't find it too difficult, though my final mark was a bit lower than I was hoping for. I would also recommend taking the higher version (2601), Astrid's a good teacher and if you understand the stuff it's a lot easier to get a higher mark (they scale 2501 and 2601 together so in 2601 there are many more DN/HD, and from memory I think marks in 2501 are capped at 90).

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
so apparently i last visited bos on 19 feb 09 lol... and.... it looks like everyone's still healthy and active heh...

FYI, if anyone will be doing ACCT2542 next semester, I have both required textbooks FOR SALE! Please PM me for more information re conditions/prices... thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)