Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
How'd you find the exam? Share your thoughts here

_pizza

HSC
N/A
Software is my bitch.

That was harder than some previous papers, but still smashed it, might lose a couple of marks for lack of clarity. But confident for high 90s :))))).

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yeah i'd say i got 95+ myself most likely.

soccer16

HSC
does anyone know what the usual band 5 and 6 cut offs are?

RawrJohnT

HSC
I'm kind of annoyed cause I started doing the other Option Topic (Programming Languages) accidentally. I didn't know I was supposed to stop because I knew the answers D:
So that killed off about 10 minutes of writing time :(

Also I had to stay behind for an extra half hour marking off the extra booklets that I used! Oh well, no more HSCC! :D

_pizza

HSC
N/A
I don't think any of it was particularly hard. The algorithm writing a bit of care, and I may have forgotten one 'increment index' command in hindsight, but apart from that just standard stuff. Option 2 was easiest part I thought.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I'm kind of annoyed cause I started doing the other Option Topic (Programming Languages) accidentally. I didn't know I was supposed to stop because I knew the answers D:
So that killed off about 10 minutes of writing time :(
Haha, when i was studying yesterday i was accidentally reading parts of the textbook from that option and didnt even realise for awhile =P. Something makes me think majority of people who do that option would realise straight away if they were reading software developers view on hardware content or attempted that question = S

My friend actually did the other option instead of the one we did in class because he "honestly found it easier" lmao - we didn't even do it in class =P

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Easy. Except I hate BOS at only providing half a page to do a full Algorithm. It was messy, then I asked for a new booklet, and was like FARKKK why wasn't this given to me earlier!!! BOS WHY YOU PROVIDE 1 cm line spacing of half a page to write a fully fledge algorithm WHYYYYYYYYY. It's so inhumane to SDD students. I sure hope my marker doesn't mind seeing small writing, it's BOS's fault for providing such little space.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Easy. Except I hate BOS at only providing half a page to do a full Algorithm. It was messy, then I asked for a new booklet, and was like FARKKK why wasn't this given to me earlier!!! BOS WHY YOU PROVIDE 1 cm line spacing of half a page to write a fully fledge algorithm WHYYYYYYYYY. It's so inhumane to SDD students. I sure hope my marker doesn't mind seeing small writing, it's BOS's fault for providing such little space.
Haha yeah, with efficient algorithms it was possible to fit them without extra booklets though.

minzoir

HSC
I managed to do both well with 2 free line spaces unused underneath? What algorithm did you write?
Also, I did read the data flow diagram question too quickly and drew a system flowchart instead... took like 10 minutes till I realised what I'd done... probably because it was a massive system to draw for only 4 marks. It was alright though, supervisor got me an extra booklet to do the data flow and got it done in time.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I managed to do both well with 2 free line spaces unused underneath? What algorithm did you write?
Also, I did read the data flow diagram question too quickly and drew a system flowchart instead... took like 10 minutes till I realised what I'd done... probably because it was a massive system to draw for only 4 marks. It was alright though, supervisor got me an extra booklet to do the data flow and got it done in time.
If i remember correctly he was rote learning sort algorithms from the textbooks, if he happened to use one of them in the algorithms then that would take up a heap of room as they are so unnecesarily long haha.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
If i remember correctly he was rote learning sort algorithms from the textbooks, if he happened to use one of them in the algorithms then that would take up a heap of room as they are so unnecesarily long haha.
Lol, I used the insertion algo, it was the most efficient sort for arranging TopPlayers, btw I understood it not just ROTE learn. You had to sort two items, the PlayerName and PlayerScore. It's full proof I know it.

Also was there a mistake with part a it had one of the numbers score which didin't line up with the points.. it was like Score 3, points: 7, every other score aligned up perfectly unless it had score = 5, which points = + 10 or something (forgot the qs and don't have the paper on me)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Lol, I used the insertion algo, it was the most efficient sort for arranging TopPlayers, btw I understood it not just ROTE learn. You had to sort two items, the PlayerName and PlayerScore. It's full proof I know it.

Also was there a mistake with part a it had one of the numbers score which didin't line up with the points.. it was like Score 3, points: 7, every other score aligned up perfectly unless it had score = 5, which points = + 10 or something (forgot the qs and don't have the paper on me)
I know you understood it haha, sorry for not making it clear - i meant you remembered the algorithms off the textbooks which you have to admit are pretty long. Yeah insertion sort was the most efficient sort as the list was already sorted, because it is not an actual sort per se since just 1 value was being added there were other ways of doing it which are just as fast. I didn't even notice that mistake haha, but i'd say it is just a typo - we didn't miss anything.

Wight

ಠ_ಠ
HSC
I fit my algorithms in with ease. Except for the second one, because I made a slight mistake adding some unnecessary stuff...so it was messy and went of the lines a bit, but meh.

Exam was good. A couple of the short answers (24iii and a few others like that etc) irritated me but I should be right.

The second algorithm was screaming Insertion...

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I know you understood it haha, sorry for not making it clear - i meant you remembered the algorithms off the textbooks which you have to admit are pretty long. Yeah insertion sort was the most efficient sort as the list was already sorted, because it is not an actual sort per se since just 1 value was being added there were other ways of doing it which are just as fast. I didn't even notice that mistake haha, but i'd say it is just a typo - we didn't miss anything.
yeah and wtf lol, the supervisors even said qs 29 was wrong and replaced ours with new qs 29 booklets (I'd take it all schools would of done the same?). But I still managed to find that error. And they started using "Score" and then "Points" lol I'd assume they were both the same?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Anyone have the examination paper?
Nope :( the supervisors collected them, (new rule apparently for 2011 and onwards), but I did get to keep my maths paper :/ and some people got to keep their English papers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)