General Thoughts: English Extension 1 (1 Viewer)

analise

HSC
I do module A, crime writing. I was so relieved reading the questions. 11 pages for the essay and 10 for the creative writing.

em_angel23

HSC
Module B: Romanticism
Essay 12 pages
Story about 10 pages

but the question threw me off, my essay was all about nature, the individual, the sublime, childhood and societal corruption; not so much about imagination.

but i think i incorporated it ok, all in all the questions were fair

:D

chaldoking

HSC
I think the exam was definately solid. I do not think it was as easy as what people are saying, I did think it was challenging (and definately exciting). Also, I use to post how much I wrote, but coming to think of it, it does not matter. Writing 14-15 pages in a story or essay does make it fall into an A-range automatically, it could be 14-15 pages of crap.

Riffy Raffy

BABY MAN
HSC
Re: Extension Exam - How'd it go?

Easy! Did science fiction, 17.5 pages for essay, 13.5 for the creative.
Someone in my grade did 55 pages all up...

jassono

HSC
I do mod a sci fi, brilliant exam
people in our school were freaking too because we were afraid they would ask for 3 set exts, hahaha to counter the one related shenanigan in belonging
but it was sweet, 28 pages of 3300 ish words

Does anyone know how many people do sci fi in the state?

emilyjansen

HSC
Yeah I thought it was wonderful. The essay was so straightforward and yes... the creative stimulus was excellent too (crime writing). However, I also believe that with such an easy exam that they're going to have to be way stricter with marking in order to differentiate between bands. I'm really happy with the paper, but I'm worried about what the expectations will be with such easy questions. The quality will have to be very high. I don't think there'll be such thing as 'exam allowance' for mistakes and such, and additional material will have to be nailed. But yes... I liked it.

boganxcore

HSC
the creative writing stimulus for crime was pretty crap i thought, still was able to compose a solid story but it wasn't my best.

Skinneth

Do The Whirlwind.
HSC
Also, I use to post how much I wrote, but coming to think of it, it does not matter. Writing 14-15 pages in a story or essay does make it fall into an A-range automatically, it could be 14-15 pages of crap.

Mmm quite true. An extension marker recently told our class that less than 11 pages was generally a worry, but yeah, part of the assessment of the essay was "Control in the use of language." So I don't think number of pages is a huge factor.:sun:

mecramarathon

HSC
Hey what was the question for the After the Bomb module?

I'm deciding whether to drop ext eng or not :mad1:

boganxcore

HSC
Mmm quite true. An extension marker recently told our class that less than 11 pages was generally a worry, but yeah, part of the assessment of the essay was "Control in the use of language." So I don't think number of pages is a huge factor.:sun:
11 pages? wtf? isnt that a little superfluous as a bare minimum? i mean i wrote 11 pages for the essay but i thought that was heaps...

Skinneth

Do The Whirlwind.
HSC
11 pages? wtf? isnt that a little superfluous as a bare minimum? i mean i wrote 11 pages for the essay but i thought that was heaps...
Well when you are expected to respond to four texts in an hours time slot..I think thats quite a reasonable benchmark really.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Pages don't mean fucking anything.

I write really, really small. The friend sitting next to me writes freakishly large. You really think an examiner is going to pick up her three booklets with massive writing and be like 'oh, yes obviously a better response'.

wtf.

Riffy Raffy

BABY MAN
HSC
Really? 11 pages is not much for 4 texts...especially for the level of depth ext1 demands. Maybe depends on handwriting size?

molmont

HSC

I write really, really small. The friend sitting next to me writes freakishly large. You really think an examiner is going to pick up her three booklets with massive writing and be like 'oh, yes obviously a better response'.

wtf.
Thank you Leon! It's about time someone realised that the number of pages you write is meaningless. It depends on the size of your handwriting.

Unless you wrote under like 5-6 pages. Then there's no excuse.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC

wtf.
Unless you write somewhere around 20 words a line then less than 11 pages is poor for Extension English.

tku336

HSC
At our school there's an implicit penalty if you write too much. Anything over, say, 2 booklets of average writing isn't going to help - it just shows you can't write concisely. You can get a 25 in about 6 pages, why on earth go for so much longer?

kyra-renae

HSC
At our school there's an implicit penalty if you write too much. Anything over, say, 2 booklets of average writing isn't going to help - it just shows you can't write concisely. You can get a 25 in about 6 pages, why on earth go for so much longer?

I agree. It's about quality, not quantity.
I wrote 8 pages for the essay, and 5 for my creative writing.
And I've never had a problem from my teacher about the length of my responses, and I still get 85+ marks.
I'm happy with that :)

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Unless you write somewhere around 20 words a line then less than 11 pages is poor for Extension English.
Hyperbole much?

20 words per line, with 20 lines on one page = 400 words per page.

400 words x 11 pages = 4,400 words.

4,400 is basically within the range for major work for extension 2.

And within 1 hour that is 1 word per 0.81 seconds.

I really don't think so...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)