General Thoughts: English Advanced Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

HSC
I knew nothinggggg about Bandler and legit wrote 2 lines on that poem most of which was guess work. Most of my school peers were in the same position! Aw how do you reckon that'll go down?
• frankenrunner, went decent although I feel like I probably talked about context a little too much. 6pgs I think.
• speeches, I did good besides the fact that I barely touched Bandler, included zero techniques for him but hey. I did Sadat and keating as well. 5 Pgs.
• Caesar, liked this question. I went Semi decent I'd imagine. 5 Pgs
Module B is making me very nervous. The foundations of my Hopes of a 90+ atar are quivering.

Last edited:

2xL

HSC
Meh for all of them. Hope 15/20 for A, 13/20 for B and 16/20 for C.

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Module A: Shakespeare & Pacino. Thought it was an awesome question, talked about how the different mediums (in this case a play and docu-drama) accentuated their distinctive contexts (lols using parts from the 2011 HSC qs ahaha) and how through certain values heightened their differences via parallelism. Just lots of bullshitting basically.

Module B: Cloudstreet. By far my best. Talked about how Winton constantly juggles stability and change via his enduring characterisation of central characters. Hopefully more bullshitting combined with lots of reference to the question will help.

Module C: Fiftieth Gate. Decent question. Basically juggled how their interplay emphasized the complexity of human nature, as history is scholarly whereas memory is fragmented. More bullshit.

I was just very happy they didn't specify a specific slab of text for Module B like they did last year, and that they didn't ask for two related texts.

I also took a risk and memorized all 3 (about 800 words) of my essays with enough room left over to answer the question.

Now that it's over, I couldn't give two shits about English.

humbletaco

HSC
N/A
I liked this paper a lot, and imo the easiest I've seen in relation to the electives I do in comparison to past papers

Mod A - Richard: Spoke of how both composers show the same ideas and themes through differing values and contexts reflected through their medium of choice and how this in turn engages the audience's interest in the parallels.
Mod B - I studied Bandler so it was no shock horror to me, I used Pearson as well and spoke of how actions in the present (actual) is necessary for change in the future (possible) and its results etc. Basically focused on reconciliation of Aborigines through Bandler and injustices of Aborigines in the past through Pearson then linked the two as making a call for action towards the audience. Synthesised techniques etc.
Mod C - Ted Hughes: It was a good question for conflicting perspectives as it was basically the textual form question reworded so I had no problem but ran out of time for writing my final sentence!!!!

Overall pleased :)

anddwhat

HSC
Fuckkkkkkk. For the Frankenblade question.. I spoke way more about context then "textual form".. Other than that it was ok.

Chrasity

HSC
The questions were pretty good! Pretty sure that the HSC has left me with arthritis in my wrists though. Conflicting Perspectives was interesting, not sure if I answered the question properly though, I had to relate everything back to human nature. Hamlet was amazing. Thank god for no specifications (although my whole essay was pretty atheistic, thank god anyway). Hated Module A for FrankRunner though... I basically hate anything that has to do with textual form.

Hoping for:
Mod A: 15
Mod B: 17
Mod C: 15

SanjoyM

HSC
I LOVEEEED the paper!! Was quite demanding, but not unfair! However, some questions were challenging though.
Hoping for 18-20/20 for Modules A,B and C :)
Kicked Ass for Mod B and C :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
A: hoping for a 18/20 :DDDDDD
DEFINITELY better than paper 1!!!! xD

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The questions were pretty good! Pretty sure that the HSC has left me with arthritis in my wrists though. Conflicting Perspectives was interesting, not sure if I answered the question properly though, I had to relate everything back to human nature. Hamlet was amazing. Thank god for no specifications (although my whole essay was pretty atheistic, thank god anyway). Hated Module A for FrankRunner though... I basically hate anything that has to do with textual form.

Hoping for:
Mod A: 15
Mod B: 17
Mod C: 15
They specified for speeches - without extract.

I'm hoping for 14 all-round.

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
HOW THE HELL WERE YOU SUPPOSED TO WRITE ABOUT TEXTUAL FORM FOR THE GREAT GATSBY?
WHAT THE HELL DID 'ACTUAL' AND 'POSSIBLE' MEAN?
And halfway through my conflicting perspectives essay I didn't know what I was talking about anymore...

Didn't finish any of my English exams sigh...
Same :/. I'm sure you did fine.

Surdo

HSC
Does anyone have by the way the questions for Bladerunner/Frankenstein, Hamlet and Ted Hughes? I don't have the paper with me.

Chrasity

HSC
Yeah, I thought it was a bit unfair how they specified for only a few of the questions in module B.

Chrasity

HSC
Does anyone have by the way the questions for Bladerunner/Frankenstein, Hamlet and Ted Hughes? I don't have the paper with me.
FrankRunner - "Our interest in the parallels between Frankenstein and Blade Runner is further enhanced by consideration of their marked differences in textual form. Evaluate this statement in light of your comparative study of Frankenstein and Blade Runner"

Hamlet - "An inherent tension between confrontation and resolution is revealed through characteriation in Shakespeare's Hamlet. To what extent does your interpretation of Hamlet align with this view? In your response, make detailed reference to the play."

Ted Hughes - "Analyse how the representation of divergent viewpoints leads us to greater awareness of the complexity of human attitudes and behaviour"

EloiseXD

HSC
Mod C kinda killed me (True History of the Kelly Gang) and I thought the Module A question for Poetry and Drama (Wit and John Donne) was a bit strange. But I also did speeches and Faith Bandler was one of the 3 I prepared for, so I'm feeling pretty blessed today!

Rawf

HSC
Yeah, I thought it was a bit unfair how they specified for only a few of the questions in module B.
They scale/moderate or whatever it's called differently for each question according to the level of difficulty.
And dang chris, why don't you pick com/arts at UNSW? I'm not sure about art... but UNSW is better for commerce!

clarg

HSC
Did anyone else not mention context in Module A? It didn't seem relevant to me at the time.

Although I can see how it might be.

declanbehan

HSC
Feeling pretty good about it! It was far more challenging than the Independent Trial but I really liked the Mod B and C, module A was a bit dodgy :(

A: Our interest in parallels between Frankenstein and Blade Runner is further enhanced by consideration of their marked differences in textual form.

Evaluate this statement in light of your comparative study.

B: An inherent tension between confrontation and resolution is revealed through characterisation in Shakespeare's Hamlet.

To what extent does your interpretation of Hamlet support this view?

C: Analyse how the representation of divergent viewpoints lead us to a greater awareness of the complexity of human attitudes and behavour

wierdowackjob

HSC
DIdnt have a clue about textual form in Module A so i just rambled about contexts and added a bit about textual form in when it fitted, and module B was the most ridiculous question ever! i couldnt relate the recurring ideas in the poems to stability and change! :L

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)