General thoughts: English Advanced Modules Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Share your overall thoughts here

Feel free to start a new thread on any aspect of the exam

SudhiTheBoat

HSC
MOD A: I was clueless about the extract but managed to BS my way through it, and use God and Truth in KR3 and LFR.
MOD B: I'm so glad it was Lessing. Lessing and Atwood were my go-to texts, and the question fit perfectly.
MOD C: Really happy about the question because W.H Auden's poems 'Epitaph on a Tyrant' and 'The Unknown Citizen' literally explore the powerlessness of people in society.

Overall I'm really happy about paper 2. Paper 1 was alright, but happier with paper 2.

Last edited:

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
For Module A (EBB & TGG), we were given specific extracts that we had to talk about.

HeyAaron_

HSC
N/A
found this pretty easy tbh the fact they gave us quotes helped too i'm confident i got close to full marks

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
The exam went amazingly for me

Both extracts for 1984 + Metropolis were things I was already going to use, and the Hamlet question was so generic. Too bad imagery is such a blanket term, I focused on characterisation and language. I was tired by the time I got to Mod C but they didn't specify anything and the question was pretty easy so yolo

NEVER DOING ENGLISH AGAIN HELL YEA

mrstripedshades

HSC
Kind of got fucked by Lessing and the question initially wasted probably 3 minutes mind blank. But did Atwood lessing sadat in that order. Think Sadat was hardest to link but did a decent job.

Expect really good for Module a

chiefpasco

HSC
NEVER DOING ENGLISH AGAIN HELL YEA
longest yeah boi eveeer.

paper was easy! surprised myself with what i wrote. fucked my creative yesterday, and ffs didnt conclude my essay yesterday - but i think today should have patch some wounds. fuck you paper 1, thank you paper 2!

chiefpasco

HSC
its weird too, because i did fuck all study for todays paper, heaps of studying for yesterdays paper - butchered yesterdays and worked through today's like cake.

zachary99

HSC
N/A
Mod a- Richard III question and extract were great!:cool:
mod b- Ts Eliot question #rip....studied for everything but hollow men, just knew a few quotes + rubbish.:blink2:
mod c (P&P)- pretty nice generic question

overall it was an OK paper, couldve been a lot worse!!

ml125

HSC
Was so good ❤ extracts for mod a aligned with my themes + mod c was basically the trial question :3 hollow threw me off a bit but actually managed to write something :')

Jakulore

HSC
Feel much more confident about Paper 2 than I do about Paper 1, that said I could have written more for Module C but I had to rush... Though I feel what I wrote was decent.

Module A (Donne and W;t): The question was amazing, I couldn't have asked for a better question (given that they asked mortality last year, so of course they wouldn't ask it this year)

Module B (Speeches): My whole class let out a collective silent cheer for joy when they specified Lessing, the question was strange but I just wrote about Lessing and Atwood as they clearly stood out as relatable to the question in my opinion.

Module C (People and Politcs/ Brave New World): Question was pretty general, no complaints... Only got to write around 5 and a half pages though.

Also why did they only give us 3-page writing booklets? That seems bizarre.

meDAawesome

HSC
my mod a was perfect, the 1984 and metropolis quotes they provided i was already using in my essay

mod b was so happy that they specified hollow men, but the fragmentation part of the q kinda threw me off

mod c was meh, had to do it in 35 mins tho

the_runic

HSC
Feel much more confident about Paper 2 than I do about Paper 1, that said I could have written more for Module C but I had to rush... Though I feel what I wrote was decent.

Module A (Donne and W;t): The question was amazing, I couldn't have asked for a better question (given that they asked mortality last year, so of course they wouldn't ask it this year)

Module B (Speeches): My whole class let out a collective silent cheer for joy when they specified Lessing, the question was strange but I just wrote about Lessing and Atwood as they clearly stood out as relatable to the question in my opinion.

Module C (People and Politcs/ Brave New World): Question was pretty general, no complaints... Only got to write around 5 and a half pages though.

I let out a collective silent cheer for joy for the whole paper, I must admit. IT WAS PERFECT.

'Only' 5 and a half pages! I did 2 and a bit for each! I'm screwed!

mrstripedshades

HSC

The size of the writing booklets wasnt really a problem for me as I'm capable of writing even a 1000 words in 4.5 pages lol (that being said in exams my writing probably varies a bit, and I try to round to at least 5 pages). I've always gotten those booklets in high school lol. I'd prefer if the format was like Paper 1 though, it was much more efficient.

I had the exact same texts as yours, did 6 pgs for W;t I think it was like 1.2k words (it fit what I had prepared perfectly and I just needed to adapt very slightly), and 5 pgs for the rest of the modules.

Lol, I saw mixed reactions to Lessing (personally disappointed, especially since they could've easily specified Atwood for the same weirdly worded question, allowing more versatility in the way you could approach it). Imo it was one of the speeches that links with only like 2 others REALLY well (atwood and maybe Brooks, Idk because I didnt really analyse brooks at all). Luckily I crammed in some analysis for it, like literally at 1 am in the morning and afterwards at 8 or so.

HeyAaron_

HSC
N/A

how big is your handwriting?

Jakulore

HSC
The size of the writing booklets wasnt really a problem for me as I'm capable of writing even a 1000 words in 4.5 pages lol (that being said in exams my writing probably varies a bit, and I try to round to at least 5 pages). I've always gotten those booklets in high school lol. I'd prefer if the format was like Paper 1 though, it was much more efficient.

I had the exact same texts as yours, did 6 pgs for W;t I think it was like 1.2k words (it fit what I had prepared perfectly and I just needed to adapt very slightly), and 5 pgs for the rest of the modules.

Lol, I saw mixed reactions to Lessing (personally disappointed, especially since they could've easily specified Atwood for the same weirdly worded question, allowing more versatility in the way you could approach it). Imo it was one of the speeches that links with only like 2 others REALLY well (atwood and maybe Brooks, Idk because I didnt really analyse brooks at all). Luckily I crammed in some analysis for it, like literally at 1 am in the morning and afterwards at 8 or so.
It was just irritating as I had to keep asking for extra writing books and it took the exam supervisor/proctor a while so it just wasted a little bit of time, that is all :) Paper 1's writing booklet was just so much more efficient! Yeah my Module A was 7 pages long I believe and I counted and I have between 7-9 words per line or so but I'm not sure how many words I had all up.

Yeah I was pleased with Lessing, Atwood is my favorite speech but I would even if they specified Atwood I likely would have used Lessing anyway. I was considering using Pearson with Atwood and Lessing (Using 3) then I decided against Pearson, I was then going to do Brookes but I ultimately decided to stick with just Atwood and Lessing. Keating crossed my mind too but I wasn't comfortable enough using Keating unless it was specified.

Last edited:

Jakulore

HSC
how big is your handwriting?
My handwriting is smallish. It got bigger later in the exam though... So at the star it was around 8-9 words per line but by the end maybe 7?

jkhoo

HSC
I felt that the questions were initially disorienting - e.g. Mod A where you find out they decide to put in extracts .....
But as you worked through it, it became easier to see more things. Which is a good way to design a paper!
Overall I felt it was better than paper 1 with its whales and boats and darts and butterflies ;)
Good luck for the rest of your HSC everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)