General Thoughts: Economics (1 Viewer)

Chocolatebubble

HSC
Uni Grad
What did u write for environment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did the same combo. Talked about carbon tax as both fiscal and microeconomic policy,and a piguovan tax. then talked about direct action, and a little bit about policies that i named wrongly :(. 3 pages a little bit. predicting a 13-15/20 because i didn't know wat do

For fiscal/labour i talked about all kinds of weird shit

edit:

I guess it depends on what you studied.. If i had to do the inflation question i would of done max.2 pages
Inequality for me is A LOT easier... progressive tax system, recirculating income, minimum wage, fair work act 2009, retraining programs, lowering unemployment as well as inequality by doing the same policy, unemployment benefits, new budget with the 2% increase for 180k or over, etc, etc.
I did the same but I also added in stuff about pensions and childcare rebates/paid parental leave :) I also added in a little bit of devils advocate to relate to the first source

Last edited:

BiasedBuffalo

HSC
What did u write for environment?

I first outline the aims of environmental policy (reversing anthropocentric damage, resolving the tragedy of the commons, internalising the externality etc). Pretty much all the theory about why the environment needs to be protected went here.

Then, I talked about the policy methods:

- command and control (ie legislation), went into a bit of detail about the fuel standards act and the protection of national parks (ie GBR)
- taxation regimes (the carbon tax), then I linked this to how the government's political role often makes this unpopular (perceived as a regressive tax, requires compensation etc)
- market based systems (eg the ETS, reverse auction in the DAP, murray darling water market)

I then talked about the conflicts between a government's aims (ie full employment, growth etc) and how this can influence the determination and implementation of environmental policy.

Then I discussed international agreements and international pressure (ie Kyoto, etc).

This was the full printed booklet plus a full extra booklet, so I wrote a fair bit. But then again I had a lot of time.

Last edited:

trungduong12

HSC
Ik you asked him but Ill just summarise what I think, you'd put carbon tax, market failure, solar panel rebates, subsidies on producers that use renewable resources, could maybe mention something global such as kyoto protocol since aus is involved, some people in my cohort also mentioned how important it is when gov use advertising (TV) to widen the scope to individuals such as those turn off the light ads. As to what you'd mention specifically something like the Lead Fuel Ban 1997, hybrid car subsidies, the solar panels like I mentioned. Could also mention financial incentives/disincentive although I didn't bother.
Wow
Thats alot :/
I mentioned carbon tax, market failure, name a few environmental policies , depletion of renewable resources

Thats all
Didnt hv time to write more

What do u reckon i will get ??

10/20 maybe?

trungduong12

HSC
I first outline the aims of environmental policy (reversing anthropocentric damage, resolving the tragedy of the commons, internalising the externality etc)

Then, I talked about the policy methods:

- command and control (ie legislation), went into a bit of detail about the fuel standards act and the protection of national parks (ie GBR)
- taxation regimes (the carbon tax), then I linked this to how the government's political role often makes this unpopular (perceived as a regressive tax, requires compensation etc)
- market based systems (eg the ETS, reverse auction in the DAP, murray darling water market)

I then talked about the conflicts between a government's aims (ie full employment, growth etc) and how this can influence the determination and implementation of environmental policy.

Then I discussed international agreements and international pressure (ie Kyoto, etc).

This was the full printed booklet plus a full extra booklet, so I wrote a fair bit. But then again I had a lot of time.
GG!
Band 6 !

x-(
I failed eco !

BiasedBuffalo

HSC
Wow
I mentioned carbon tax, market failure, name a few environmental policies , depletion of renewable resources

Thats all

10/20 maybe?

You've got the important bits there, so you should be looking at 15+.

trungduong12

HSC
Eh, I think the quality of the environment essays won't be high. You'll do fine, just work on your next exam now :)
ITS OVER !!!
NO MORE HSC

HAHAHAHHAHA

I DID 4 EXAMS THIS WEEK !!
TODAYS MY LAST DAY

TOTALLY BURNT OUT !

jer3m

HSC
N/A
Wow

Thats all

10/20 maybe?

12/20 max lol? I don't know if your teacher marks hsc but thats not a max 12/20 response. You'd get 10 if you sort of but not really answer the question and didnt write much. You answered the question and did the most important part i think (carbon tax). Maximum maybe of 16 since 17+ is the band 6 range

trungduong12

HSC
12/20 max lol? I don't know if your teacher marks hsc but thats not a max 12/20 response. You'd get 10 if you sort of but not really answer the question and didnt write much. You answered the question and did the most important part i think (carbon tax). Maximum maybe of 16 since 17+ is the band 6 range
Yea
I mentioned all that stuff
But like writing very generic
Cuz i didnt study environment topic

I dont think i can get that high
Cuz i wrote 11 pages with 4 diagrams for inflation question
My teacher said i will get max 16/20

So environment i only wrote half of inflation essay and ran out of time
Expecting 12/20

BiasedBuffalo

HSC
Yea
I mentioned all that stuff
But like writing very generic
Cuz i didnt study environment topic

I dont think i can get that high
Cuz i wrote 11 pages with 4 diagrams for inflation question
My teacher said i will get max 16/20

So environment i only wrote half of inflation essay and ran out of time
Expecting 12/20

You can't really compare the two topics. Inflation will be done far better by the cohort than environment- because no one studies the environment topic.

Seriously, forget about it. Go party. Your HSC is over and I'm jealous :(

samathuva12

HSC
phew such a relief to get it over with. essays were good, multis were challenging, shorts were alright

overall hopefully sr

ebbygoo

HSC
20/20 for mc, extended were meh never know how you went, and thought alright short answer, except the questions about limitations and reasons for declining participation rate.
What were your reasons for the above?
Hoping for a 90+ but never know with 40 marks in essays lol.

emilios

HSC
found short answer the hardest part of the exam but that might be cos i suck at short answer. didn't answer case study as well as i would've liked but eh whatevs

edit: what's the consensus on multiple choice? I practised with the 2013 paper and got 16/20 on that but I 20/20 on this years one so i thought it was a little easier and less ambiguous than last years

Constantine

HSC
Lol, I still have 4 exams so gg
wow i have three more and i thought that was bad since majority of my friends finished this week.
what else do you have?

20/20 for mc, extended were meh never know how you went, and thought alright short answer, except the questions about limitations and reasons for declining participation rate.
What were your reasons for the above?
Hoping for a 90+ but never know with 40 marks in essays lol.
That made me stop for a sec as well.
I did increasing population and structural changes in the economy.
Anyone know if that's right?

Jenny927

Buttercup
HSC
I did Q27 and Q26... Our teacher betted on China and made us all write an essay about it...so lucky for most of us we were prepared for one, and for section III it was sort of a shock since it was inflation or fiscal/labour market... But shouldn't be too much of a surprise since inflation hasn't been a essay question for many many years and labour market too. I'm so glad my teacher gave us last minute information and stats of inflation...it literally was one of the issues I kept using throughout my essay.... because I had nothing in my brain about current issues.

[Current stats is inflation dropped from 3 to 2.3% as of yesterday due to the abolishment of the carbon tax which created cheaper electricity and inflation on fruit and vegies went up]

I found the exam pretty alright, not as horrible as I thought it would be...and horrible I meant by having extended response as international organisation, labour market (as a essay by itself), CAD, External stability or balance of payment.

The multiple choice was alright...I guess... since I stuffed up about 6 answers or 5 (If 7 is B then it is 5).

Short response was alright... I felt like I kept repeating myself with international competition... I struggled with the first question (export incentive and local content rules) because I didn't study it at all or looked at it, but luckily i guessed export incentive right hopefully I got 1/2, and also the appreciation of the AUD against euro and TWI declining etc was a tough one for me since I forgotten what TWI meant.

I'd give this test a 6.5 out of 10. I reckon the cut off for a B5 will be 72+ and B6 will be around 82+. This test was harder than 2013...especially the long response, since last year had the best combination of Exchange Rate, Unemployment, Protection and Macro

Last edited:

xTheChibi

HSC
N/A
It was alright, although I did find it harder than the 2013 paper. Made some sillies and got 17-18 in multis (depending on what question 15 is). Short answers were okay, nothing too hard. Essays were pretty good as they were what I predicted. Hopefully I can scrape a band 6 >_<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)