General Thoughts: Chemistry (1 Viewer)

nightweaver066

HSC
Yeah, 299.2mg (4sf)
Wouldn't it be 1 sf? They said "10mL ethanol" where that is clearly 1 sf.

What about the pH question ?
Did anyone get 2.397 something ?
I round it to 2.40 ==*
Feel like i got wrong answer
I got that too. I got 1.397 first (not sure if it exactly was this) and found i didn't recalculate the concentration, and changed it to 2.397.

jeffwu95

Dumbass
HSC
For the eutrophication question, I don't think DO/BOD is enough personally- I mentioned this quickly but I think you have to go into nitrate/phosphate tests (like colorimetry, Kjeldahl method etc.). Just my two cents though
i wrote do, bod and kjeldalh (Y)

habitres

HSC
no. did this very unpopular piece of crap chemistry of art.
oh shit. that guy was talking about some random mercury reaction. whoops! -.-
Chemistry of Art is the shit man. Half of it is astrophysics.

Rawf

HSC
Oh my gosh, the nitrates and phosphates question.. my heart sunk when I saw it. I was completely clueless and I wrote about AAS LOL (i know that sounds super wrong as it only works for cations).
Do you think I will get at least 1 mark for writing that it has to be monitored as nitrates and phosphates provide a source of nutrients in the water which brings about favourable conditions for algal blooms to grow?

Rawf

HSC
What did you guys get for the aspirin question btw?

Rawf

HSC
Add ethanol to allow the aspirin to fully dissolve.
I wrote to aid the blending of the aspirin and water or something like that o_o I read earlier in this thread that we had to discard the first/rough titre? Is this true? I didn't... I though it wasn't that different from the other two results so i used all 3 and got 0.1mol/L NaOH :( My final ans was like 300mg or something like that.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I wrote to aid the blending of the aspirin and water or something like that o_o I read earlier in this thread that we had to discard the first/rough titre? Is this true? I didn't... I though it was that different from the other two results so i used all 3 and got 0.1mol/L NaOH :( My final ans was like 300mg or something like that.
You don't need to remove the first one because in the exam, they only gave 3 - normally they give 4 and ask to titrate using 3.

Rawf

HSC
You don't need to remove the first one because in the exam, they only gave 3 - normally they give 4 and ask to titrate using 3.
Ahh sweet :) yeah using 2 titres seems a bit too little. I also made a typo in my post lolol i was meant to say "i didn't think the rough titre was that different from the other two titres".

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Ahh sweet :) yeah using 2 titres seems a bit too little. I also made a typo in my post lolol i was meant to say "i didn't think the rough titre was that different from the other two titres".
Yeah, normally, 2=shit reliability.

sarah jones

HSC
what did you guys say for the force responsible between the alkanols and the increasing boiling points? :)

madharris

HSC
N/A
i wrote hydrogen bonding...so silly!
yeah it was dispersion because they were the same series.
Hydrogen bonding would be for example comparing alkanols and alkanes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)