General Thoughts: Chemistry (2 Viewers)

HSC
Yeah, a lot of people struggle with chem calculations and the like so i think that might actually pull the cut off down a little/keep it the same as previous years.
There was exactly 9 marks worth of calculation questions in part B (so 9% overall), i saved them all for last then ran out of time to do them

HSC
Uni Grad
What did people get for the citric acid question? Taking it being triprotic into account I divided moles by 3, worked out concentration and then since it was diluted to 10% for the titration I multiplied the concentration by 10, and I got 3.1 mol/L or something. It seemed a little high but cordial is really strong when it isn't diluted right? Please be right.

HSC
Uni Grad
did anyone get the "why is it that a strong base and strong acid always produce -57Kj/mol when neutralised?"
i wasn't sure but i wrote shit like:

"all neutralisations are essentially the same reaction, a transfer of a H+ ion (transfer of a proton), this means that all neutralisations between strong bases and acids are essentially the same so should release the same amount of heat, this happens to be 57kJ/mol"

jamesfirst

HSC
It was pretty easy.

Did anyone else get 5 A 5 B 5 C 5 D in the multiple choice ???

all event spread out into 5s

E

Effekt

They fucked up the first question in industrial chemistry, a very stupid test. They seemed to only focus on titration calculations -.-'

jamesfirst

HSC
i think the crux of the question is "why do they all release the same heat (57)"

not really the fact that it's exothermic
Isn't it because it is exothermic because the syllabus says "Identify that neutralisation is exorthermic"

jamesfirst

HSC
They fucked up the first question in industrial chemistry, a very stupid test. They seemed to only focus on titration calculations -.-'
no they didn't.

It was sulphuric acid.

Nerdygirl

HSC
Uni Grad
7 marker for Industrial was gift marks, all you had to do was know the environmental impacts for each and you were set, so happy it wasnt more specific.

Riku123123

HSC
did anyone get the "why is it that a strong base and strong acid always produce -57Kj/mol when neutralised?"
lol i just put something random for it . I said that it was exothermic and also that when neutralization occurs, water will always be produced so it would be similar and the energy would be similar =.=

HSC
7 marker for Industrial was gift marks, all you had to do was know the environmental impacts for each and you were set, so happy it wasnt more specific.
iirf you had to link how the environmental impact then effected society, for example if you did Frasch process, So2 would form acid rain which would then damage buildings incurring financial loss, etc. I found it pretty good as well

HSC
Chemcial Monitoring and Managemnet topic test IMO...

LostEuphoria

HSC
Everyone seems to concentrate on the fact that neutralisation reactions are always exothermic. I wrote that it's because strong acids/bases will always dissociate completely (100%) and so the heat released is almost always constant, i.e. -57 kJ/mol. Now I'm worried, although my answer seems right to me -___-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)