general question about uni. (1 Viewer)

shumaker

HSC
So hi. I am a Class of 2023 graduate and therefore will be starting uni next year, so I just wanted to know, what is it like? I mean I know obviously it will be a whole different league from school and we will be a lot more independent, there will be no teachers, et cetera, et cetera, but what 's the typical day in the life of a uni student like? Do you make your own timetable and just come and go as you please, attending lectures and tutorials when you want? And is lectures and tutorials the only form of education in university, or is there anything else? What types of subjects do we have? For example, say I want to do Bachelor of Information Technology, what types of subjects will I have to do?

Bob99

temporarylol hater
HSC
Make your time table as soon as you get the opportunity to, as classes will fill up very quickly.
Theres like 20 different time slots for every class so you can be extremely flexible with your timetable.
Lectures are mostly optional (i watch them live online).
Tutorials are kinda meh except for when you really need the help, and the tutors are amazing at helping you with content.
Sometimes class times are really weird so i have to travel 1.5h just for a 2h lab.
Because im an anti social guy, uni kinda gets lonely because i dont go to any parties and stuff, but if you're an outgoing person, uni will be amazing.

For IT, first year will mostly be some maths subjects and introductory programming subjects.
And dont procrastinate otherwise you will suffer

dav53521

HSC
You do make your own timetable so that means you have to schedule your lectures (if you have multiple lecture times) and tutorials and you can choose not to attend any lectures and tutorials although that means you will have to learn the content yourself and can't really complain if you're struggling in a subject because in the end you made the decision to not go.

Also while lectures and tutorials are typically the main ways of learning, some societies might teach you stuff as I know the programming society at UTS holds educational sessions to teach about stuff like Docker and Rust.

Bachelor of Information Technology, what types of subjects will I have to do
BIT tends to be a bit more business focused so you'll probably do a introductory programming course, a database course and a few others although I do think it kinda depends on the uni as I know UTS does force you to do a business requirements course while from what I can see Macquarie doesn't.

shumaker

HSC
Make your time table as soon as you get the opportunity to, as classes will fill up very quickly.
Theres like 20 different time slots for every class so you can be extremely flexible with your timetable.
Lectures are mostly optional (i watch them live online).
Tutorials are kinda meh except for when you really need the help, and the tutors are amazing at helping you with content.
Sometimes class times are really weird so i have to travel 1.5h just for a 2h lab.
Because im an anti social guy, uni kinda gets lonely because i dont go to any parties and stuff, but if you're an outgoing person, uni will be amazing.

For IT, first year will mostly be some maths subjects and introductory programming subjects.
And dont procrastinate otherwise you will suffer
right, thank you :)

shumaker

HSC
You do make your own timetable so that means you have to schedule your lectures (if you have multiple lecture times) and tutorials and you can choose not to attend any lectures and tutorials although that means you will have to learn the content yourself and can't really complain if you're struggling in a subject because in the end you made the decision to not go.

Also while lectures and tutorials are typically the main ways of learning, some societies might teach you stuff as I know the programming society at UTS holds educational sessions to teach about stuff like Docker and Rust.

BIT tends to be a bit more business focused so you'll probably do a introductory programming course, a database course and a few others although I do think it kinda depends on the uni as I know UTS does force you to do a business requirements course while from what I can see Macquarie doesn't.
oh that's cool, i thought lectures/tutorials were the only thing
also, does uni have assignments or some school equivalent of projects, not counting exams?

Bob99

temporarylol hater
HSC
oh that's cool, i thought lectures/tutorials were the only thing
also, does uni have assignments or some school equivalent of projects, not counting exams?
uni does have assignments, for example unsw has introductory comp courses and they have 2 assignments in a term. Other subjects have mid term exams and quizzes that are hurdles, which means you must pass them in order to pass the course.

dav53521

HSC
also, does uni have assignments or some school equivalent of projects, not counting exams
Yes uni does have projects/reports that aren't exams. They can sometimes be group work which can be an absolute pain or enjoyable.

For example 3/4 of my subjects had a project or hand-in report but UTS does tend to have a strange affinity for group projects so my experince might not be the norm for most other unis but there'll defiantly be hand-in assignments.

shumaker

HSC
uni does have assignments, for example unsw has introductory comp courses and they have 2 assignments in a term. Other subjects have mid term exams and quizzes that are hurdles, which means you must pass them in order to pass the course.
thanks for the clarification!

shumaker

HSC
Yes uni does have projects/reports that aren't exams. They can sometimes be group work which can be an absolute pain or enjoyable.

For example 3/4 of my subjects had a project or hand-in report but UTS does tend to have a strange affinity for group projects so my experince might not be the norm for most other unis but there'll defiantly be hand-in assignments.
Got it, thanks for the explanation!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)