• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

General Most efficient way to learn (1 Viewer)

Cloesd

HSC
Sure, everyone learns things differently, but there must be some fundemental force that drives the "click" causing a certain concept to be retained permanantly.

Im sure we've all experienced, the feeling with a certain concept that just sticks better than the others. "Oh, yeah im pretty good at ____________, didn't really need to study/revise" we tell our friends before exams.

But what causes this? Why is it that writting down notes on some paper will help us remember? (Isn't this what we should have been doing in class when it was taught?) and if writting notes does help us remember, why are we re-writting them again just before exams?

It seems like we're taking an incredibly in-efficient, route memorisation by recitation-in-disguise method to retain information, and even then for only a short time, (making at least some degree of cramming the only way to go).

Post in this thread your experimental learning methods, theories, and general advice on how to learn something once, and permantly. GO.

Last edited:

Niek

HSC
The most effective way to learn things... well, for me, I've found it's having some actual interest in the subject. And I truly think that is the most important factor determining your results. You can study all you like, but if you don't care about what you're learning, it's not going to sink in as well as it would've if you actually WANTED to learn it :) Sounds lame, but it's true!!

Cloesd

HSC
What i think writting notes DOES do well, however, is keep the students attention focused on what he/she is doing.
Although its still a pretty clumsy and in-efficient way of doing this.

My personal "Learning nuggets" include;

-Visualising the topic being discussed, read. It keeps attention focused, and more than half the time in an exam il'l get a mental picture coming back to me reminding me of something i need to remember.

-Makings rhymes and such work well too (I can't remember how many days each month has, every time i need that information i'v gotta sing it "30 days hath september april june etc..) It works, and it WILL keep it stored for VERY long times (just make sure you sing it once in a month or so), but again its clumsy/unelegant way to remember something. You're not going to be able to connect information you learn like this to other pieces of information.

-Geographical maps. You can walk through a room/place familiar to you and "imaginatively" place things to remind you of certain other things. The places don't even have to be real. I remember one bored study lesson i encoded about a third of the HSC physics syllabus into World of warcraft's 'Northshire' zone, cos i had such a good memory of the place. (yeah cheap memory trick, but still, could be usefull for say.. remembering a string of concepts roughly related)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
- Diagrams
- Videos/recordings of someone with a stern voice (not my own as I just simply won't listen to myself)
- Teaching others
- Rote learning... and writing stuff lots a times. :rofl:

LordPc

HSC
-interest in the subject area helps
-recency and primacy effects
-there is meant to be some sort of evolution of methods, ie reading is worst, reading and making notes is a little better, and i think reading aloud (yea, weird eh?) is a little more effective. all the way up to the best methods which involve acting stuff out
-testing effect (test yourself on material as it is being learnt)
-if you just need simple recall/association there are methods
-id say practice helps a lot. ie you can learn the theory of a certain method in maths in general. but after you do 2 or 3 questions, i find the method is down and there to stay

astroe

HSC
Yeah, what Tim said.

Mother Eats Peanut Butter. :)
(Meth, Eth, Prop, Bute) ~ although this was a Year 11 thing.

I remember that the Diaphragm Cell for NaOH production is bad because it has asbestos used, and like, I remember it by the fact that the diaphragm is a part of the body and asbestos kills you. :haha: (Industrial Chemistry)

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
Sure, everyone learns things differently, but there must be some fundemental force that drives the "click" causing a certain concept to be retained permanantly.

Im sure we've all experienced, the feeling with a certain concept that just sticks better than the others. "Oh, yeah im pretty good at ____________, didn't really need to study/revise" we tell our friends before exams.

But what causes this? Why is it that writting down notes on some paper will help us remember? (Isn't this what we should have been doing in class when it was taught?) and if writting notes does help us remember, why are we re-writting them again just before exams?

It seems like we're taking an incredibly in-efficient, route memorisation by recitation-in-disguise method to retain information, and even then for only a short time, (making at least some degree of cramming the only way to go).

Post in this thread your experimental learning methods, theories, and general advice on how to learn something once, and permantly. GO.
sit down and open books and study

hollaholla

HSC
nothing works for me...seriously...especially implantation via tube.

Cloesd

HSC
Perhaps in a couple more decades, learning by implantation will be a reality. And wel'l all walk around with access to Google implanted into our brains.

(and with access to google, comes access to redtube:p)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)