General maths with I.T? (MY FUTURE!!) (1 Viewer)

IC3

HSC
Hello

First of all I should say, I have no plans for my future, I dunno what to do, whether to go uni or not.
But I prefer if I actually made it into uni.

I would like to know are there any COMPUTER RELATED courses in uni that have a minimum maths requirement of GENERAL MATHS?
If so please state...

Only uni I want to attend are UTS, USYD, UNSW. Because they're like the most closest to me.

I'm not good in maths, actually when it comes to maths, I'm a complete dumbass.
Im in year 11 now, Im doing 2units maths. I'm finding it difficult and no way I can catch up to the work and pass my exams.

SO IM PLANNING TO DROP DOWN TO GENERAL MATHS!!!!!!!!
But I have this feeling inside me thats telling me its not a good idea.

Then again I can do a bridging course in uni, but the thing is when doing a bridging course in uni, is the work THE SAME AS WHAT IM DOING IN 2UNITS NOW?

I seriously need help PLZZZZZZ!!!

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Firstly, all of UTS' IT courses have assumed knowledge of 2 Unit Maths. It is also highly recommended that you do 3 Unit Maths.

In saying that, the maths I have currently used in the IT subjects I've done is only: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. It has not even come close to what I learnt when I did 3 Unit Maths in high school.

For those who are finding it hard to use maths in the subjects that they are doing can always visit UTS' Maths Study Centre.

I have no experience with bridging courses, so the best thing to do is to contact UTS about them (http://it.uts.edu.au/contact/index.html).

Overall, I would highly recommend UTS to do Information Technology. The USyd and UNSW IT courses are advanced and would probably demand alot more mathematical skills than those learnt in general maths.

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
^ Totally supported.

I didn't even know we had a Maths Study Centre...

I hate maths and want nothing to do with it. Having said that, I took Maths Extension 1 but got stung by a bee during the external assessment. I applied for special consideration but my external assessment mark (after being stung by the bee) was actually higher than my year of internal assessments and so no change was made. I also believe I got the lowest mark possible. I don't blame the bee.

Anyway, my point is that, to my knowledge, you really don't need to know anything more than General Maths for the UTS IT courses, even if it does recommend maths extension 1. I believe, however, that both USYD and UNSW have a significant maths component to their courses, but check with them to confirm.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I know of someone who has been through the BScIT degree and got a Distinction average having only done general maths, so don't worry too much about the maths requirements. If you do lack in the maths area, then a stronger understanding of computers and how they work will probably be more advantageous to you. If you have say, built some simple websites and such, or have managed to set up a network, or something like this, then this will help you a lot more than having 2 unit maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)