General maths with I.T? (MY FUTURE!!) (1 Viewer)

IC3

HSC
Hello

First of all I should say, I have no plans for my future, I dunno what to do, whether to go uni or not.
But I prefer if I actually made it into uni.

I would like to know are there any COMPUTER RELATED courses in uni that have a minimum maths requirement of GENERAL MATHS?
If so please state...

I'm not good in maths, actually when it comes to maths, I'm a complete dumbass.
Im in year 11 now, Im doing 2units maths. I'm finding it difficult and no way I can catch up to the work and pass my exams.

SO IM PLANNING TO DROP DOWN TO GENERAL MATHS!!!!!!!!
But I have this feeling inside me thats telling me its not a good idea.

Then again I can do a bridging course in uni, but the thing is when doing a bridging course in uni, is the work THE SAME AS WHAT IM DOING IN 2UNITS NOW?

I seriously need help PLZZZZZZ!!!

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
I'm not sure about, which uni you'd like to go to but if you had posted the thread under the IT FACULTY of the uni of your choice, they can tell you what type of math they do....:) I got quite a few answers from the UTS guys. But as i said before, General math will be fine.

Hope that helps.

IC3

HSC
^ can you please direct me to the IT FACULTY ><
I can't seem to find it.

A link will do fine thanks.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
UTS it faculty
http://www.it.uts.edu.au/

UNSW it faculty
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/

(UNSW computing infor for highschool students) http://www.computing.unsw.edu.au/

I don't know about UTS, but first year math at UNSW would be quit hard with only a general math background. I would also avoid courses where physics is required (so computer engineering probably isn't for you).

That said, you have plenty of time to decide from now until your HSC, if you can pass 2u math, I would stick with it and see how you go for the first few weeks, or maybe get some advice from your teacher. Also, have you considered tutoring? there are actually some free tutoring programs available(I think usyd offers one for their education students to get work experience).

most of the math you learn in both highschool and uni is almost never used in most computing subjects, but how well you do in math can be a good indicator of how well you do in computing (that's the trend not the rule), so that's also something to consider.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
IC3 said:
^ can you please direct me to the IT FACULTY ><
I can't seem to find it.

A link will do fine thanks.
Okay so i'll give you a link to the following unis: MACQ, UTS, UNSW, USYD, UOW & UWS assuming that these are the unis you'd like to go to.

To post a thread for MQ
IT faculty link: http://community.boredofstudies.org/647/college-science-technology/

To post a thread for UTS
IT faculty link:http://community.boredofstudies.org/124/faculty/ :)

To post a thread for UNSW
IT faculty link: http://community.boredofstudies.org/338/unsw-computing/

To post a thread for USYD
IT faculty link:http://community.boredofstudies.org/590/general-university-sydney/

To post a thread for UWS
IT faculty link: http://community.boredofstudies.org/592/general-university-western-sydney/

To post a thread for UOW
IT faculty link:http://community.boredofstudies.org/594/general-university-wollongong/

- There's no IT faculty for USYD, UWS & UOW available on BoS so if you're interested in attending those unis - you'll have to post a thread in the general university section.

Last edited:

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Also, if you're interested in moving, the Business Info. Systems course at Monash (Clayton) only has a requirement of any Year 12 maths (but you have to get VIC Study Score 20+ or equivalent, which equates to ~25-30% percentile aka piss easy).

Comes with an IBL program = $36k scholarship.

dt673

HSC
I was accepted for B Internet Science and Technology at UoW when i finished by HSC.

General mathematics - 78.

Not the most brilliant UAI either, but i used their Early Entry program, and was accepted anyway.

HSC
well just for kicks and i think someone is gonna flame me or like abuse me for saying this hahaha but weird-ly enough yesterday i got a uni offer from newcastle for software engineering haha and if u knew what subjects i did u would probably think i'll die...so thus technicalli if i DID do it i'll tell u how it's like (if i make it out alive) but i've put in early childhood choices up top for the next round so we'll see -.-;;

and well my cousin he said there's someone in his class who has a law degree did no maths, no sciences and he's doing medicine right now so i think u'll be fine :)

loser101

HSC
dt673 said:
I was accepted for B Internet Science and Technology at UoW when i finished by HSC.

General mathematics - 78.

Not the most brilliant UAI either, but i used their Early Entry program, and was accepted anyway.
please post back here in 6 months time and let everyone know that u failed first year maths. we'll all appreciate it.:apig:

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
loser101 said:
please post back here in 6 months time and let everyone know that u failed first year maths. we'll all appreciate it.:apig:
Why dont you read properly, he has finished the hsc in 2005, hence he has already passed his first year. There is no pure maths subject in any I.T course unless you pick it as an elective (not compulsory).

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
haiironotenshi said:
well just for kicks and i think someone is gonna flame me or like abuse me for saying this hahaha but weird-ly enough yesterday i got a uni offer from newcastle for software engineering haha and if u knew what subjects i did u would probably think i'll die...so thus technicalli if i DID do it i'll tell u how it's like (if i make it out alive) but i've put in early childhood choices up top for the next round so we'll see -.-;;

and well my cousin he said there's someone in his class who has a law degree did no maths, no sciences and he's doing medicine right now so i think u'll be fine :)
Well, im almost done with my computer science (software development) degree, and i did all bio, chem, and geography subjects back at school... not a big deal imo, im doing fine really, and im almost done :D Although a bit of background knowledge would come in very, very handy.

HSC
MaNiElla said:
Well, im almost done with my computer science (software development) degree, and i did all bio, chem, and geography subjects back at school... not a big deal imo, im doing fine really, and im almost done :D Although a bit of background knowledge would come in very, very handy.
lol well i did ancient history, visual arts, the only things with a slight if even any correlation is ipt, general maths (trig and algebra? :rofl: ) and senior science (why soap foams...that's definitely handy :) ) lol nahh atm im thinking of doing SIBT kinda gives me an excuse during that time to pick up my measly maths and TRY (stressing the word TRY) and get a GPA of 3.0 and get into comp science...iunno im one of those people who hate moving...it's like a phobia i have o_O

EDIT: and if I still have that passion to go chase after software engineering then I might try and go for a transfer but atm the first priority is to get my hidden maths talent working

Last edited:

Zorbini

HSC
IC3 said:
Hello

First of all I should say, I have no plans for my future, I dunno what to do, whether to go uni or not.
But I prefer if I actually made it into uni.

I would like to know are there any COMPUTER RELATED courses in uni that have a minimum maths requirement of GENERAL MATHS?
If so please state...

I'm not good in maths, actually when it comes to maths, I'm a complete dumbass.
Im in year 11 now, Im doing 2units maths. I'm finding it difficult and no way I can catch up to the work and pass my exams.

SO IM PLANNING TO DROP DOWN TO GENERAL MATHS!!!!!!!!
But I have this feeling inside me thats telling me its not a good idea.

Then again I can do a bridging course in uni, but the thing is when doing a bridging course in uni, is the work THE SAME AS WHAT IM DOING IN 2UNITS NOW?

I seriously need help PLZZZZZZ!!!
I seem to be almost in the same situation. I do IPT + SDD, both of which I enjoy and do really well at, but I suck at 2U maths and i'm very bored in class and not interested in the course. I was hoping to drop to General and take up a bridging course, but I am a bit worried, especially about the assumed knowledge for Computing at UNSW.

There are some bits of the 2U course, that i'm very confident in, but seem to be getting overall bad marks in exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)