General Form query (1 Viewer)

Bi0mic

HSC
Hey all ...

Heres what really is a simple question, but a lack of understanding of the concept - it comes from 2002, Q4c(iii):

A Particle, whose displacement is x, moves in SHM such that acceleration=-16x. At time t=0, x=1 and v=4

the question moves on asking to prove its velocity and find its amplitude then iii requires to write "x as a function of t. You may assume the general form of x".

Ok fair enough, x=acos(nt+@), the formula ends up being x=(sqrt 2)cos(4t+@) .. (where only the 2 is square-rooted)

To find @, the text progresses to substitute x=1, t=0 (as given in original question) to find that "cos@=1/(sqrt 2)" and then by differentiating the x formula providing the following velocity formula: v=-4(sqrt 2)sin(4t+@), followed by substituting in v=4, t=0 comes out with "sin@=-1/(sqrt 2)"

My question is this, how do you know which value of @ to take? ... as one gives me +pie/4 and the other gives me -pie/4

Thanks all .. i hope this is readable .. lol .. again, for those playing at home this is Q4 c(iii) 2002

Cheers

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
In simple harmonic motion, they are both the same. The question will usually ask something like "First time After t=0". Id go with the first one after t = 0 for this question, or jsut write both as theyre both correct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)