General Education (1 Viewer)

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Hi everyone,

Just doing some last minute subject selections for session 2. I'm planning to do 2 general education courses (3 ouc each), but reading through the requirements for BCom, it says "complete 12 OUC of APPROVED General Education courses offered by faculties other than the Faculty of Commerce and Economics".

By "approved", does that mean faculty will only allow us to do certain general education courses, or are we allowed to choose any gen eds, provided they aren't from FCE.

Thanks...

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
You are allowed to choose geneds as long as they aren't related to what you have studied. For example, someone who has done a Business Law subject from the Commerce Faculty may not be allowed to take a law gened if its similar to what they have done (vice versa for those doing Com/Law). Another example is an Actuarial Studies student taking a Stats subject from Maths (it's essentially the same stuff). Approved may also mean the geneds they plan to run because there are sufficient people in enrolling.

In addition, students have the option to substitute up to 6uoc (i think?) of geneds for real subjects as long as it is not directly related to whatever you are studying now and if you have the prereqs. Although you lose the gened as a wam booster (albeit, a tiny one), at least you can pick up a subject that might actually be useful to your career (as opposed to a gened like Greek Myths and Legends). Refer to myUNSW and the handbook for further details.

Last edited:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I think the "approved" may also be there to help those who have transferred from another uni/course to catch up on units faster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)