General Composition Techniques (1 Viewer)

JOhnNiLiCiouS

HSC
Hey i was wondering, What type of stories are the top bands writing?

Before the trials I had a few planned out stories which I thought were all very good. One of which I wrote in the trials. It was the most humorous thing I've ever written! However, I got a VERY dissappointing mark of 10/15.

After reading through quite a few top band compositions, I've found that most of them are all very serious and very emotional and even a bit dark, if you know what I mean.

Techniques I've started to notice in good essays, strong visual imagery, dialogue, VERY nostalgic (through reflections). But also generally very short... around 2 pgs, maybe not even 400 words! (only some).

If you know something that I'm missing please share your expertise.

Last edited:

tieki

They generally need to be short, to fit them in to the 25 or so minutes you should leave for them after the other two questions...we were taught a good idea is to develop a theme or idea (for example, the changes associated with technology or growth) and include that into the story. Reflections and a nostalgic tone are good for showing change, as the character can look back at what they were before the change, or how the world was...what are you doing again, worlds, self, or perspective?

Another good thing to do is to write something that stands out from the crowd - the marker has to read 60,000-odd papers, and only a few might stand out in some way or another, and generally get pretty good marks.

Anyway, I'm probably not the best one to get advice off - maybe somebody else out there will help as well...

:)

JOhnNiLiCiouS

HSC
I'm doing changing perspectives.

Ok, this is what one of my teachers said about their markings. They walk over and collect a bundle of 20 papers... These papers are all from the SAME school. The papers are ordered according to your student number. Student number are given according to surnames. There are exceptions with accelerants and people who come after yr 11 has commenced.

Anyway, I always start Q2 first, I'd rather gain time then be rushed towards the end.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by JOhnNiLiCiouS
Hey i was wondering, What type of stories are the top bands writing?

Before the trials I had a few planned out stories which I thought were all very good. One of which I wrote in the trials. It was the most humorous thing I've ever written! However, I got a VERY dissappointing mark of 10/15.

After reading through quite a few top band compositions, I've found that most of them are all very serious and very emotional and even a bit dark, if you know what I mean.

Techniques I've started to notice in good essays, strong visual imagery, dialogue, VERY nostalgic (through reflections). But also generally very short... around 2 pgs, maybe not even 400 words! (only some).

If you know something that I'm missing please share your expertise.
i take it you mean creative writing. well it doesnt have to be humourous, it has to express your ideas of change and fufill the marking criterea.

drakolord

Do this task last if u are not confident. U should be able to get it out of the way well under the 40 min time limit.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by drakolord
Do this task last if u are not confident. U should be able to get it out of the way well under the 40 min time limit.
i do it last because it takes the least amount of time and i always go over time with any sections that i do first

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)