Gene Flow vs Genetic Drift --clarification (1 Viewer)

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Please let me know if I am correct here!

BOTH related to the gene pool
GENE FLOW = natural movement of genes through a population
GENETIC DRIFT = random changes to the gene pool due to natural events --e.g., a storm wiping out half the population and altering the ratio of dominant:recessive alleles present --e.g., Founder's Effect: a smaller select population with a different spread of alleles is isolated from the main population and thus has a different gene pool

Any clarifications would be appreciated <3

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
orgasms oops autocorrect I mean organisms (idk why)
study on his mind <3

Yep quite good but only thing - make sure u mention that gene flow is due to MIGRATION of organisms & this migration is what ultimately causes the overall gene pools of populations to change.
So movement + migration --got it

For Genetic drift u can also speak about the bottleneck event (which is the actual event reducing gene pool) and ensure to explain how if founder pop is very diverse it will lead to diverse new pop & vice versa for not diverse
Ohh yep okay --so genetic drift is random changes to gene pool, often due to bottleneck effect OR founders effect???

Big_Kev

HSC
study on his mind <3

So movement + migration --got it

Ohh yep okay --so genetic drift is random changes to gene pool, often due to bottleneck effect OR founders effect???
bottleneck is the actual event, and results in founder effect
ALSO could mention Hybrid vigour for gene flow - organisms with hybrid vigour increase variation/alleles wherever they go so that can accordingly increase/decrease variation in a pop

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
bottleneck is the actual event, and results in founder effect
ALSO could mention Hybrid vigour for gene flow - organisms with hybrid vigour increase variation/alleles wherever they go so that can accordingly increase/decrease variation in a pop
I thought founders effect was literally just random members of the population scooting off to their own little isolated island // the mainland splits and part of the population is left there

and bottleneck is an entirely seperate event occuring

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)