Gattaca and 1984 (1 Viewer)

butan1ol

HSC
I watched this film a while back and it seems to have been ignored by the general film nerd populace- it (in my opnion) is really good bruh deadass everyone should watch it (plus uma thurman kinda bad bro :oops:)
I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience doing gattaca as a related text for 1984- or as a related text in general. As far as i can tell, they are quite similar thematically (privacy, totalitarianism, conformity, loss of individual agency, social stratification etc etc). So i'm just wondering instead of doing the same ass texts that everyone does i might do something unique?
Do you guys think it would be worth it, and if you could acctually pull it off?

thanks a lot!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I thought I would contribute my thoughts, while at the same time bumping your thread with my post so that students who have used this text can perhaps provide their insight. While it may be refreshing to focus on a text that has not been typically used as a related text, this factor alone does not have an effect on the outcome/result. This means that the extent to which a particular text has been used as related material does not determine whether the student will achieve a favourable result. Instead, the emphasis is on the quality of the analysis and satisfying important criteria as relevant to the specific assignment/exam. Essentially, any text that provides an opportunity for in-depth analysis and shares similarities with the prescribed text (in this case, 1984) may potentially be suitable to be used as a related text. Exceptions would include texts that do not provide such opportunities. For example, a short poem may limit the depth of analysis that can be done, which would in turn likely lead to a less favourable result.

In terms of Gattaca, it seems that you can probably use it as a related text. Not only does it appear to share multiple themes with 1984 (which suggests a strong connection between the two texts), but the length of this film should also create multiple avenues for in-depth analysis that you can capitalise on.

I hope this helps! :D

hb0623

HSC
I watched this film a while back and it seems to have been ignored by the general film nerd populace- it (in my opnion) is really good bruh deadass everyone should watch it (plus uma thurman kinda bad bro :oops:)
I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience doing gattaca as a related text for 1984- or as a related text in general. As far as i can tell, they are quite similar thematically (privacy, totalitarianism, conformity, loss of individual agency, social stratification etc etc). So i'm just wondering instead of doing the same ass texts that everyone does i might do something unique?
Do you guys think it would be worth it, and if you could acctually pull it off?

thanks a lot!
Whilst I didn't use it as a related text, I studied Gattaca as a text in Yr 11 for X1, and I agree that it is similar to 1984 in terms of the control of the populace and manipulation/loss of humanity being key themes in both texts (from memory). There is definitely enough substance and different avenues of arguments you could take with Gattaca, so you definitely could use it as a related text without having to fear that it would be a shallow text (if you analyse it properly).

butan1ol

HSC
Thanks a lot for the tips guys! I'm planning on using gattaca in my paragraphs about oppression and the destruction of relationships so ig it should be prtty easy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)