gaseous forms of oxygen & the oxygen free radical (1 Viewer)

ssglain

HSC
Syllabus 9.4 4K7: Compare the properties of gaseous forms of oxygen and the oxygen free radical.

I don't suppose it's possible to compare these in terms of melting/boiling points, solubility, density, etc. which can be done between allotropes of oxygen. So what other properties are there to compare besides chemical reactivity?

Thanks guys.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
oxygen gas = O2 <--- relatively stable (since all valency electrons are filled)

O - free radical <--- violently reactive with what ever it contacts (due to unfilled valence electrons)

allotrope i believe is concerned with O2 and O3, not O and O2

ssglain

HSC
xiao1985 said:
oxygen gas = O2 <--- relatively stable (since all valency electrons are filled)

O - free radical <--- violently reactive with what ever it contacts (due to unfilled valence electrons)

allotrope i believe is concerned with O2 and O3, not O and O2
I guess chemical reactivity is the only property to compare here. I'm just a bit worried because the syllabus uses plural "propertIES", which leads me to think that there should be at least one other property. Do you think a comparison based on structure & hence chemical reactivity would be considered as two properties?

jlnWind

HSC
ssglain said:
I guess chemical reactivity is the only property to compare here. I'm just a bit worried because the syllabus uses plural "propertIES", which leads me to think that there should be at least one other property. Do you think a comparison based on structure & hence chemical reactivity would be considered as two properties?
Hey, fortunately, i came across a similar question in a catholic trials question so heres my 2 cents.

Apart from looking at chemical properties
O3 has a greater boiling/melting point than O2
This can be explained in that O3 has a coordinate covalent bond. Moreover this ozone is in resonance structure, meaning the electrons are shared (in a way) and so this makes ozone very polar (dipole dipole bonds). Hence whilst O3 is more reactive than O2 chemically, its intermolecular (not intramolecular which is like covalent bonds etc) are significantly stronger than those of O2. So ta daa
"properties" :D

Hope i was of some assistance

ssglain

HSC
jlnWind said:
Hey, fortunately, i came across a similar question in a catholic trials question so heres my 2 cents.

Apart from looking at chemical properties
O3 has a greater boiling/melting point than O2
This can be explained in that O3 has a coordinate covalent bond. Moreover this ozone is in resonance structure, meaning the electrons are shared (in a way) and so this makes ozone very polar (dipole dipole bonds). Hence whilst O3 is more reactive than O2 chemically, its intermolecular (not intramolecular which is like covalent bonds etc) are significantly stronger than those of O2. So ta daa
"properties" :D

Hope i was of some assistance
Thanks for your input! However, I think this response addresses the previous dot point - Syllabus 9.4 4K6: Compare the properties of oxygen allotropes O2 and O3. Account for them on the basis of molecular structure and bonding.

There are numerous chemical and physical properties to compare between the allotropes, including melting/boiling points, solubility, density and chemical stability. But as we discussed above, physical properties cannot be compared between gaseous forms of oxygen and the oxygen free radical.

I think I will ask the advice line.

Last edited:

jlnWind

HSC
haha yeh i think i avoided the oxygen radical bit. But i think the essential factor with oxygen radical is that its 20 times more gay than the other two

tmde1st

HSC
jlnWind said:
haha yeh i think i avoided the oxygen radical bit. But i think the essential factor with oxygen radical is that its 20 times more gay than the other two
hahaha i agree wholeheartedly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)