gas exchange methods (1 Viewer)

alx_24

HSC
i have know idea about the answer to this question.. what are the advantages and disadvantages of the gas exchange methods used by frogs and insects. I know that frogs use the pressure pump method and insects use direct diffusion but thats about all.
Thanks!

octopie

HSC
Hmm I haven't come across this type of stuff (specifically) but if I had to answer I would probably talk about surface area to volume ratio. This won't wholly answer the question, but you could talk about how frogs have a very small SA:V ratio, and diffusion would be very ineffective, which is why they have a different method that works for them. Since insects are smaller and have a larger SA:V ratio than frogs, direct diffusion is efficient for them.

That's all I have :/

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
i dont remember insects and only remember vaguely about frogs. its been a while.

frogs have two systems, the lungs(pumping system) and skin. i cant remember about lungs but the skin allows them to exchange gas continously even in water. Another advantage of the skin is that it does not use energy however, this process of diffussion is much slower than active methods.

sorry thats all i remember.

-Jonny

HSC
All I can remember is that insect use the tracheal system and gas exchange occurs by diffusion. The air tubes that insects use for gas exchange reach every cell in the body, so by using this system, they are exchanging gases faster.

Siretlaw

HSC
Insects - Using the direct diffusion of gases in the holes (spiracles) are used as this replaces the need of an internal blood system (which insects do not have, rather they have a giant vessel where bodily fluids are found). It allows for all the cells to obtain necessary gases etc.

This comes at a cost as this method results in a lower energy output. That is, the insects do not obtain enough oxygen to produce higher amounts of energy.

This is from OTEN notes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)