• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Game of the Year 2008 (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I loved Far Cry 2 at first. Then 5 hours later, hated it. Lemme copy paste a review I wrote on xbw:

Far Cry 2 – 6/10

I didn’t finish it. From the opening credits, I loved it. I was thinking how incredible the game was for the first few hours. Could this be one of the best games I have ever played? The graphics were stunning, the story was exciting, there were lots of other sub-objectives. The weapons and characters were cool.

Then, it got very repetitive. “Find a guy here, kill him”.

Worst of all are all the enemies, everywhere. You drive by another car on the road...obviously they’re bad guys and will shoot at you. So, you decide to get away, and swerve to avoid them coming at you. Magically, their car (which is a crappy old rundown thing), can go faster than your new Jeep. You can’t outrun them and have to fight. Or someone’s shooting at you and you can’t find where from. So you hide behind a place where they can’t see you and keep crouching behind obstacles until you emerge 50m away in a safe place. You get shot. Wtf? How does an enemy even see you there? The same one?

Yes, this game is an innovative FPS but I just wish it came together better in the end, and it didn’t get so incredibly boring quickly.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
I loved Far Cry 2 at first. Then 5 hours later, hated it. Lemme copy paste a review I wrote on xbw:

Far Cry 2 – 6/10

I didn’t finish it. From the opening credits, I loved it. I was thinking how incredible the game was for the first few hours. Could this be one of the best games I have ever played? The graphics were stunning, the story was exciting, there were lots of other sub-objectives. The weapons and characters were cool.

Then, it got very repetitive. “Find a guy here, kill him”.

Worst of all are all the enemies, everywhere. You drive by another car on the road...obviously they’re bad guys and will shoot at you. So, you decide to get away, and swerve to avoid them coming at you. Magically, their car (which is a crappy old rundown thing), can go faster than your new Jeep. You can’t outrun them and have to fight. Or someone’s shooting at you and you can’t find where from. So you hide behind a place where they can’t see you and keep crouching behind obstacles until you emerge 50m away in a safe place. You get shot. Wtf? How does an enemy even see you there? The same one?

Yes, this game is an innovative FPS but I just wish it came together better in the end, and it didn’t get so incredibly boring quickly.
yeahh just started playing this and this is all true. pretty much everything that was wrong with crysis as well. i played for about 5 mins, drove down the road and ran into 3 jeeps.

graphics aren't anything spectacular but considering the scope and the one off load times they're quite good. and the voice acting is atrocious. i'll give it another go but i can see myself getting bored of it

Snooty

HSC
I had high hopes for Far Cry 2 but it turned out to be a repetitive piece of crap. After the first 4 hours everything just felt like a chore to do and the respawning guard posts were annoying as hell. Thank god for EBs 7 day return policy.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
jumped on for a quick 40 mins to play it and yep, i'm done with it. giving it back to my friend, maybe he'll let me borrow burnout paradise instead.

who the fuck decided it's a good idea to have your character collapse randomly every 10 fucking minutes from malaria? or in the middle of a fire fight? stupid, stupid. every time you run into an enemy camp, you need to take them all out which takes ages, so they don't get into their jeep and hound you down which if it gets to that point you're totally fucked. tried firing a missile at 'em with my missile launcher, and no joke the thing just whirled around in circles.

ai's cheap to no end, take one guy out, even 'silently' and the whole camp comes after you. plus they respawn at every corner. what's the point of conquering a 'guard post' if there are gonna be enemies when you cross the road next?

boy what a chore

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)