g-force equation??? (1 Viewer)

Teh Duke

HSC
Hey guys,

My textbook (Jacaranda) says that the equation for g-force is (g+a)/9.8 , but i think it should be (g-a)/g.

For example:
Take g to be -9.8 ms^-2 (Therefore up is defined as positive)
If a rocket is taking off, the net force on the rocket itself will be directed upwards (+ve direction), lets say for arguments sake that the acceleration acting on the rocket is 15ms^-2, using the equation (T-mg)/m.
When the rocket is taking off, we know that the occupants feel a g-force greater than 1.

So, using the old equation:
g= -9.8
a= +15

g-force = (-9.8+15)/9.8 = 0.531 g (which is wrong)

Using (g-a)/g:
g= -9.8
a= +15

g-force = (-9.8-15)/-9.8 = 2.531 g (which is right)

In the worked solutions in the book they seem to ignore the fact that a and g are in opposite directions which is why they still get the same solution. I just think it's a bit weird that they ignore the directions, because if you tried to use their equation to work out the g-force acting on something that is accelerating downwards (same direction as g), you would get the wrong answer if you ignored the directions of a and g.

I-Love-Jesus

HSC
Yeah, usually g is taken as 9.8, not -9.8.
'g' is the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity, 9.8m.s-2, but if we are considering the direction of this acceleration, it is written as '-g', which equals -9.8m.s-2.

For example, in the formula sheet, the formula for vertical displacement is given as:
∆ y = uyt + ayt2
If we are using gravity as the acceleration in the formula, we substitute 'a' as '-g', which is -9.8. Hence:
∆ y = uyt - gt2

Since -g = -9.8, it follows that g = 9.8.

I hope that helped :)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Re: g-force equation???

BradlovesJesus said:
Yeah, usually g is taken as 9.8, not -9.8.
'g' is the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity, 9.8m.s-2, but if we are considering the direction of this acceleration, it is written as '-g', which equals -9.8m.s-2.

For example, in the formula sheet, the formula for vertical displacement is given as:
∆ y = uyt + ayt2
If we are using gravity as the acceleration in the formula, we substitute 'a' as '-g', which is -9.8. Hence:
∆ y = uyt - gt2

Since -g = -9.8, it follows that g = 9.8.

I hope that helped :)
Although the actual value is right there, as you pointed out the concept behind acceleration and gravity is left to the student.

Teh Duke

HSC
Now i know why they do it the way they do.
It's because when they derive the equation, they used the reaction force (Reaction = mg) which is equal and opposite to the weight force. Thats why both the acceleration and the weight force are taken in the same direction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)