Future Plans: What ATAR/course/job are you aiming for? (1 Viewer)

What ATAR are you aiming for?

• Total voters

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Re: What UAI are you aiming for?

Shows you have effort and that you're not lazy. Gives you personal satisfaction. Not to mention it gives you a larger range of choices when you actually come to choosing what course you want to get into. There's heaps of blindingly obvious reasons.

shaon0

HSC

Continuum said:
Shows you have effort and that you're not lazy. Gives you personal satisfaction. Not to mention it gives you a larger range of choices when you actually come to choosing what course you want to get into. There's heaps of blindingly obvious reasons.
Yea...i agrre, unless you don't change your mind.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

claire.bear said:
hm, i'm just shooting for around 85, don't even need that high but i reckon can get it without too much hassle... plus why put heaps of effort in when it's not required?
That's the attitude that gets you a shit UAI.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: What UAI are you aiming for?

kaz1 said:
That's the attitude that gets you a shit UAI.
That's what my attitude at the moment is :p

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: What UAI are you aiming for?

tommykins said:
That's what my attitude at the moment is :p
For a UAI of 95+, you need a better attitude than being lazy Tommy :p.

fayeee

HSC

I want 97+

And I want to do Med at UWS (University of Western Sydney), except the cutoff for that (apparently) is only 93 if you live in the western areas, which I do ^^

But i'm guessing you get more priority the higher your UAI is (is that right?) so yeeah :]

T

Troy2287

Well I want to do a B.Civil Engineering @ University of Newcastle, which only requires 70.65. So I figure 75 is a good aiming point. But I do believe I am capable of much higher. We got our trial results last week (our exams were week 9 & 10 of term 2) and I really flonked them:

English(Standard): 61%
Maths (2U): 61% (Top of my class....really says a lot for the school)
IPT: 81% (Top of the year, and ranking 1st)
Software D&D: 61%
Geography: 61%
Physics: 63%

People have been saying that trials are harder than the HSC itself, but I don't believe thats the case. Comparing the exams we did to HSC past papers, they are relatively the same. My opinion is that the teachers marking is harder than at any other point in the year.
Eg. For an imaginative writing task in English, I scored 14/15 in an in-class assessment. When I re-wrote the task word-for-word in the trial (like I had been specifically instructed to do by my teacher) it scored only 8/15.

That has really puzzled me. I want to approach the teacher, but I don't know what to say: "Hey why did it score only 8/15 when you told me to write it exactely the same and when it got 14/15 earlier in the year" won't really go down to well, I don't think.

Maths was my fault...theres simply one answer: Not enough study. Although i'd like to make excuses and say that the trials were harder because they were bunched up into 2 weeks and I was working part time etc, I have to face it. In maths you are either right or wrong. In this case, 39% of my answers were wrong and therefore: I messed up. My bad.

Well IPT: No complaints, i'm happy with it. My teacher said the highest mark he's had in a trial was last year (81%) and that person scored 93 in the HSC exam. I'm ranked first, by a fairly safe margin. So all-in-all the trial mark really doesn't matter.

Software/Geography: One explanation; I had a brain snap. I'd had Geography earlier that day for 3 hours, and I suppose having another 3 hour exam on the same day didn't really suit me. I remember sitting in the Geo exam watching the clock tick simultaneously with the one on the other side of the hall. Watching the supervisors pace around the room. I just didn't want to write...and it showed. For the 3 essays I wrote just 6 1/2 pages...Scoring 30/60 for them in total. Skills was fine cause I dropped only 4-5 marks.

Physics...well it was on the last day of school, and I was planning on not even studing for it. I studied the night before, for an hour, and it turned out to be my 2nd best result. I think Physics will be my saviour in the HSC (f I put in more than an hour of study). I did make a stupid mistake though: I specifically read through my text book on interferometry and in the exam, couldn't remember what it was...I dropped me about 5% :(

Anyway, theres my rant...probably not topic-related but I had to get it off my chest :) Any comments appreciated!

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

Keep going and persevere along the way Troy! Continue to aim for that engineering course and BANG 75+ UAI :).

Good luck man.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC

47% of people are aiming for 95-100? That sounds a bit odd considering the average UAI isnt anywhere close to that.
For me I would love to get 90+ but it is going to take alot of work and effort on my part and high marks in some low scaling subjects (PDHPE and Bio)

T

Troy2287

x.Exhaust.x said:
Keep going and persevere along the way Troy! Continue to aim for that engineering course and BANG 75+ UAI .

Good luck man.

Thanks man, in all honesty I should get it easily. If I don't I will be pretty ashamed for...well...the rest of my life! :uhoh:

Now i've just gotta figure out a decent studying technique..hmm..

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Sarah182 said:
47% of people are aiming for 95-100? That sounds a bit odd considering the average UAI isnt anywhere close to that.
For me I would love to get 90+ but it is going to take alot of work and effort on my part and high marks in some low scaling subjects (PDHPE and Bio)
Yeah, but it doesn't hurt to aim, does it? I mean if you're not aiming high, then why bother trying? Also, I think people on Bored of Studies generally are quite smart (a lot of stupid people or people who do not care about school would not go on a school related forum - unless they were a troll or something).

Scaling shouldn't really affect you that much. As you said, as long as you work hard and do good in your subjects, you should get over 90.

oi.olivia

HSC

seeing as people are estimating UAIs
im top 15 school

15th english advanced
2nd eng ext
1st eng ext 2
2 studies of religion
1st ancient
5 modern

thanks

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: What UAI are you aiming for?

97+ I'd say.

sammygrace123

HSC

yeah I am wanting to do visual communications and I need 75. I am pretty happy with knowing that that is what i need, but i would still love to get maybe 85-90. I think a lot of people who are convinced they are going to get a really high mark like 98-100 are going to be dissapointed. I hope the majority of you aren't though!! I just want to get into the course and also feel a real sense of achievement when i finish =) and as long as i feel like I have done the best I could of, then by logic reasoning i should feel accomplished.

I mean if finishing the HSC and coming out without a mental disorder doesnt feel like an achievement, then I have no idea what would!!

=)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

sammygrace123 said:
I think a lot of people who are convinced they are going to get a really high mark like 98-100 are going to be dissapointed. I hope the majority of you aren't though!!
That's true. I'm aiming for a UAI of 95+ however, I'm not conviced will get it, and I'm just going to try my hardest and what I get is what I get.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

the-derivative said:
That's true. I'm aiming for a UAI of 95+ however, I'm not conviced will get it, and I'm just going to try my hardest and what I get is what I get.
Same. A UAI of 97+ I'll be absolutely ecstatic to be honest. My aim was 99+, but I've been doing some research on other courses I may want to get into, so 97+ realistically is enough. 99+ idealistically would be much better :rolleyes:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

x.Exhaust.x said:
Same. A UAI of 97+ I'll be absolutely ecstatic to be honest. My aim was 99+, but I've been doing some research on other courses I may want to get into, so 97+ realistically is enough. 99+ idealistically would be much better :rolleyes:
Of course idealistically 99+ is the best possible outcome, but you have to know your limits, and I know my limits,a nd I don't think I'll break the 99+ barrier. Doesn't stop me from trying though.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

the-derivative said:
Of course idealistically 99+ is the best possible outcome, but you have to know your limits, and I know my limits,a nd I don't think I'll break the 99+ barrier. Doesn't stop me from trying though.
Same :uhhuh:

shaon0

HSC

the-derivative said:
Everyone would want a UAI of 99 and over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)