functional foods vs. nutrtionally modifed foods (1 Viewer)

s-tressed

HSC
what's the difference? is it that functional foods are a type of nutritionally modified food?? *confused*

btw, good luck for tomorrow guys!

Jackyacoub

HSC
N/A
Functional Foods: Natural or processed foods that contain biologically active compounds that enhance the well-being of those who consume them. E.g. Yacult contains probiotics which enhances gastrointestinal health (processed) or Goji Berries, which contain antioxidants that neutralise free radicals in the body (natural)

Nutritionally Modified Foods: Synthetically produced to provide profound health benefits. E.g. Folic acid added to flour, Milk fortified with calcium for individuals suffering from osteoporosis, Hi-Maize buns at mcdonalds for individuals suffering from diverticular disease or even Gluten free flour for coeliac disease

Both are produced due to CONSUMER DEMANDS and ongoing NUTRIENT DILUTION

s-tressed

HSC
Functional Foods: Natural or processed foods that contain biologically active compounds that enhance the well-being of those who consume them. E.g. Yacult contains probiotics which enhances gastrointestinal health (processed) or Goji Berries, which contain antioxidants that neutralise free radicals in the body (natural)

Nutritionally Modified Foods: Synthetically produced to provide profound health benefits. E.g. Folic acid added to flour, Milk fortified with calcium for individuals suffering from osteoporosis, Hi-Maize buns at mcdonalds for individuals suffering from diverticular disease or even Gluten free flour for coeliac disease

Both are produced due to CONSUMER DEMANDS and ongoing NUTRIENT DILUTION
Alright thanks, but I thought that functional foods were (edit: only) manufactured? Aren't foods that naturally contain beneficial nutrients called super foods??

Jackyacoub

HSC
N/A
When you mention functional foods, you should classify them into both natural and artificial. The term 'Superfood' is, however, the same thing as a NATURAL functional food as if contains active biological compounds like i mentioned before (e.g. goji Berries, chia seeds etc)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I would say nutritionally modified foods is the overall category and functional foods CAN be a type of nutritionally modified foods IF they've been processed to contain nutrients or active non nutrients that don't naturally occur in the food that is being altered.

s-tressed

HSC
I would say nutritionally modified foods is the overall category and functional foods CAN be a type of nutritionally modified foods IF they've been processed to contain nutrients or active non nutrients that don't naturally occur in the food that is being altered.
Alright, that's what I was thinking.

Thanks to both of you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)