fun fun fun: build be a comp (1 Viewer)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
ok so lets have a little exercise, iam looking to get a new comp within the next few months, i already have a decent monitor, speakers, mouse keyboard is kind of shit but useable

your budget is 4k, ofcourse if u make it cheaper, great cause then i can buy it sooner

i sawa very nice setup in PcPowerplay i wanna see how everyone else compares with a larger budget

requirements: its primarily for gaming so it has to be powerful enough to play intensive FPS games of today flawlessly with framerates of alteast 80

seccondary: i do alot of downloading and my current 80GB ran out fast, so iam looking for alot more storage to cope with downloading alot of movies, songs and tv series and be able to store the indefinetely, my current set up has 40GB partitioned with 1 set aside for windows + games and the other sey aside for downloads, both are full so iam looking at needing atleast 80GB for each partition, or two seperate 80GB drives, realistically i will probably need alot more than this say 250GB

thats it, iam not to up to date with todays hardware so lets see what some of you guys can put together

nwatts

HSC
two words: sifnt mac

edit: 4k on a computer? are you fucking insane?

edit 2: sifnt sata raid (do they do sata raid these days) two hdds instead of one.

edit 3: just buy a fucking mac. :)

Last edited:

InFeRn0

HSC
nwatts said:
two words: sifnt mac

edit: 4k on a computer? are you fucking insane?

edit 2: sifnt sata raid (do they do sata raid these days) two hdds instead of one.

edit 3: just buy a fucking mac. :)
he needs it for gaming... macs are shithouse for gaming.. THE END

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
a mac? what the hell nick, macs are shit half the decent games out there dont even have mac support!

am i insane? yes slightly but ive been working for 2 years now earning money which i pretty much dont need because my parents provide food shelter, and all i spend it on is going out money so i have something saved up and i am sick of my games stuttering and lagging

so i want something to show for my money

335$ on a case? woooow
and are u sure with that setup i wouldnt need some sort of insane cooling going on? although my room will be nice and warm in winter, i dont wantto sit in 40 degree heat in summer

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
While he does have the money to spend, it's wiser to be more efficient with it and even underspend.

The X2 4600+ is rather pointless. You might as well get a 3800+, get a decent water cooler (Asetek etc) and overclock it. It would perform just as well, and is cheaper too.

Lian Li cases, especially at that cost, probably has no meaning to him. I personally like the Antec P180 at ~$200, and there are a few good Thermaltake cases as well. The P180 is especially good if you don't like it too flashy.

Get 2 250GB HDD in RAID instead.

And one has to question whether 7800GTX SLi is really overkill. Sure the performance is great, but can the cost be justified over a 7800GT or 7900GT SLi or a single 7900GTX? But I would recommend a better motherboard than that Gigabyte, personally prefer Asus, if you're going to overclock that X2 get DFI. Just make sure you know what you're doing because DFI isn't for beginners.

nwatts

HSC
InFeRn0 said:
he needs it for gaming... macs are shithouse for gaming.. THE END
Meh to gaming anyway. It's been over a year since I last sat down and played something. :p

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
If you shop around and be cheap on other components, $4000 can even get you a FX60 and 7800GTX SLi. But that is a terrible waste of money.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
well how much money should i spend then? would 2k be able to get me enough parts to trash most games out there at high settings and not lag?

especially if i scrounge some parts, i know my soundcard is pretty good, most other shit like ethernet card stuff like that i can salvage prolly not the mobo cause i doubt it would be compatible with high end gfx and the ram is a waste of a slot, only like 512mb

have no problems with 2x 250GB drives, shit i would take 2x 100GB drives, kicks the shit out of my space right now[80GB total]

cause 4k is a decent estimate of how much funds i could pull togther if necessary, but if u reckon its a waste of money, i wouldnt mind going a little less performace for alot less money,a comp that is solid and has best bang for my buck, thats what i want. so if u do it with 2k, great, if u need 3k i can manage that 2, and if nothing but 4k will suffice then i can handle that but will be scrounging the washing machine for petrol money lol

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
2k is more than enough to get you a system that will trash most games... I paid 1.5k about 9 months ago and my computer still has no trouble running F.E.A.R. for example... Shop around and you can get an awesome computer for really cheap these days.

4k is overkill mate.

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
You are prolly better off not getting dual core for gaming atm. Just go with a more powerful AMD. Your choice there, but the x2 4400 is still a good processor and cheaper than what that guy listed. Though if you wanna spend $900 on a processor, be my guest :p

I have a x2 3800+ .. I like it. But I was on a $1350 ( see the post ure computer thread for what I got for $1320 ) budget on my new pc, otherwise I would have gone for the 4400. Though I didn't get my pc for soley gaming purposes, I got it for graphic design work too.

You can also afford to up your motherboard, and get the pro version of the same board. it costs about $40 more.

And far out, get a cheaper case. I saw some decent ones on www.diycomputers.com.au for around $150.

Last edited:

Mattius

HSC
For what you want downloading and playing the odd game at good graphics you don't need 2 7900gtx in sli or an x1900xt in crossfire and games these days dont really care to much about the cpu power so rather then buying at the high end of the curve (high prices low performance gain) rather spend possibly less money for a computer that will be almost as good and not hurt your pocket so badly.

A single 7900GTX or X1900XT will do fine (as you have the money)
DON'T BUY the X1800XT rather buy the 7800GTX (as its a bit of a screwed card)

As far as hardrives go if you want lots and lost of space you could go for
a 250gb x2 in raid 0
c 160gb x3 in raid 5 (only get this if you need data security and make sure u resarch it)

case get one that functions well and is preferably made out of a light metal ( if you go to lan parties you will appreciate this)

Cpu i would say it really up to you
Dule core ATM has no real benifits but you may as well get one as they will come into use. Keep in mind that AMD will be sometime soon launching a new core that will allow one to use faster RAM so it may be worth waiting if you can be bothered
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/21/a_look_at_amds_socket_am2_platform/

id say spend somewhere between $400- 600 and research every thing the site above is a good place to start

Most important things when building a computer
- There power is evenly spread otherwise your $3000 system may be running crap(remove bottom licks ie dont get shit ram and a FX 57 processer)
- MAKE SURE EVERY PART IS COMPATIBLE
- Reaserch sites like the one above and find out whats best

www.staticice.com (great place to get the cheepest price avalible)

I hope those sites help if nothing else i said did

Last edited:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
wtb alienware :drool:

(btw, i think it's staticice.com.au?)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I would recommend waiting though. AMD is going to bring out the AM2 soon, and we've all seen what Conroe can do to a FX60.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)