full time uni plus two jobs (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
out of interest, how difficult would you say it is on a scale of one to ten?

let's assume work is 30-40 hours a week and i do approx. 10-12 hours of classes a week. plus study and travel. (only 15 mins to uni and one job, but the other job could take up to 40 mins each way depending on times).

i want to move out which is why i'm thinking i need the money too much to say no. when i applied for this new job, i wasn't actually getting shifts for my current job,however now i am.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
i think it would be hard, but maybe depends on how difficult you find your course ( ie some people can do very little work and get good results, others have to put more time in). would it really be worth having a second job tax wise as well?
i worked 30 hours of week at one job with about 16 contact hours for uni, whilst living at home and the amount nearly killed me- i was stressed out and cranky 24/7. On top of that, you would have the added stresses of living out of home. but then, a lot of people do manage to do it.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
35 hours of work plus 11 hours of uni is 46 hours. That is more than a full time job and you need to find time (a lot of time) to study somewhere there. I think it would be hard but you can give it a shot.

santaslayer

HSC
glycerine said:

let's assume work is 30-40 hours a week and i do approx. 10-12 hours of classes a week. plus study and travel. (only 15 mins to uni and one job, but the other job could take up to 40 mins each way depending on times).

i want to move out which is why i'm thinking i need the money too much to say no. when i applied for this new job, i wasn't actually getting shifts for my current job,however now i am.
Uhhh..you forgot sleep!

I'd imagine it to be very, very challenging.

How much have you got now?
Would Term Deposits help?

I have an account earning 5.5% interest for 3 months. Not bad at all.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i have nada. nil. zilch zero etc.
well, a bit over that, but not much. i guess i shouldn'tve gone shopping today. :s

i dunno, i'm not planning on moving out for a while, maybe i should look at the term deposit option cos i don't mind if it's not for six months or so. w/ a term deposit are you allowed to keep depositing? i'm not the greatest saver so i don't know these things

Sarah

HSC
N/A
glycerine said:

It's difficult. I did something similar. There was a semester where I had full time uni (15 contact hours) and worked 2 jobs approximately 25-30 hours per week.

Travel time for me is around 50-60mins to uni. Anyway, I would be rushing around either from one job to uni, uni to another job or job 1 to job 2. Social life died down and what spare time I did have was spent bumming at home as I was too tired or couldn't be bothered going out.

But on a positive note, it did make me more organised and value time more.

^___^
HSC
do part time uni for first yr with two jobs? save up then move back to one job with full time uni load?

7th Sign

HSC
get centerlink to help you out or something.....

say you are poor and need to go to uni...

centerlink will chip you some cash I guess...work one job and then also get centerlink cash then study for uni...

you must also aim to get 17.8k in 18 months to get the youth money each week also...

good luck it can be done....but not really by uni students lol

Rory

HSC
I think it depends on what kind of person you are management-wise. Some people can manage the stress of studying and working simultaneously, last semester I was doing like 12-15 contact hours a week while working 40-50hours and I managed it just fine, passed all my units and got a transfer into a new degree, I plan on doing the same this semester; but that's just me.

If you think you can handle the load then go for it, but if you find that it's too much, you should just take it down a notch until you're comfortable with how you're doing, just don't let your studying suffer (or your health) and you should be fine.

sarevok

HSC
well, on a scale of 1 to 10 i would rate it a 10, for sure

especially approaching exam time it will be very, very tough

good luck with it, i would be interested to hear if it works out

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Theres 168 hours in a week.
If you sleep 8 hours a night, you have 112 productive hours.
Take off 12 hours for uni, this leaves 100 hours.
Take off say 36 hours for eating, dressing, showering, etc, this leaves 64 hours.
Take off at least another 20 hours for further uni work, this leaves 44 hours.
Take off say 6 hours for travelling, this leaves 38 hours.
Take off say 8 hours for miscellaneous 'me' time activities, this leaves 30 hours, presumably for working.

So, yes, you can work, but you need to question whether or not you want your life to be soooooo structured and controlled.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
glycerine said:
i have nada. nil. zilch zero etc.
well, a bit over that, but not much. i guess i shouldn'tve gone shopping today. :s

i dunno, i'm not planning on moving out for a while, maybe i should look at the term deposit option cos i don't mind if it's not for six months or so. w/ a term deposit are you allowed to keep depositing? i'm not the greatest saver so i don't know these things
From what I know of term deposits:

You keep a certain amount of money in the bank for a certain amount of time at an agreed interest rate. Interest rates are higher than the normal ones because you can't take any money away from it during that time.

For HSBC, you don't keep on putting money in it as such.

Once the time period is over, you may add (the money you have saved + original amount + interest earned) into a new term deposit.

Once the time period is over and you don't take the money from the bank, it'll automatically renew your account for the same period but it may not be the same interest rate, since interest fluctuates.

I hope I make sense. :)

Skeeta

HSC
yeah it definitely depends on the course and degree..

i'd really have a look at trying to get YA or something like that - it would really help out, if you move out you should be able to get something like that or at least rent assistance

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Skeeta said:
yeah it definitely depends on the course and degree..

i'd really have a look at trying to get YA or something like that - it would really help out, if you move out you should be able to get something like that or at least rent assistance
>:/

^___^
HSC
also if your parent's combined income is less than a value set by centrelink, you are eligble for YA

my friend moved out of his house, around the age of 18, his parents combined income was lower than the threshold value set by centrelink..he applied for YA and i think he gets 400bucks every fornight..
but then he said you have to explain to centrelink why you moved out alone so early

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
thanks everyone

well i'm definitely not eligible for youth allowance at the moment. my parents earn way too much.

i'm actually considering taking the easy way out and asking my parents for some money to help me get started. ie bond. but we'll see.

it's just going to be hard when uni starts cos i soooo can't keep up the 9-10 hours 5-7 days a week thing i've got going on atm :\

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
communications/law

but the thing is i need at least a distinction average. cos my mum said if i manage that she'll help pay my hecs and obviously in the long run thats going to be a better advantage than a bit more independence when i'm 18

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
That's doable. I survived 15 hours transport and 35+ hours at uni (inc breaks which i didnt study in anyway) last semester just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)