Full-Time Job offer, what to do? (1 Viewer)

Dammit

Well, ive been offered a full time job and i dont know what to do.

bit of background, finished year 12 in 2003, now all of 2004 i studied my ass off and have just graduated with an Advanced Diploma in Business Marketing, and a Diploma in Business Management.

I am in a bit of a pickle, i want to get into property management and real estate and obviously no one will start me off as assistant property manager etc so i need to start off as receptionist - with duties including taking phone messages, mailing, banking that sort of stuff. I went for a 2nd job interview today and an hour later they rang me and said ive got the job and can i start on monday and i said yes. Anyway i thought about it after and they had not mentioned a single thing about salary, so i rang them back to ask and the receptionist whos job i am taking said she is 22 and gets about $450/week so $23,000 PA.

Anyway because im only 19 I think this will be less because in the ad it said award wages apply which would mean Ill get about $350/wk or $18,000 PA.

Am I wrong in thinking that I shouldn't be getting paid peanuts because I have tertiary qualifications?

I have also had an offer for another 2nd interview at a different real estate for the same sort of position and they asked me what salary i would be interested in and i said about $30,000 and they didnt seem to flinch or think that i was unrealistic/dreaming. I havent told them I had another job offer but my mum thinks i should ring this other real estate quick smart tomorrow and try and get an offer out of them before COB friday so if its a higher salary then i can tell the one who wants to pay me approx 18k that i have a better offer.

What to do???? HELP!!!!!! I am new to all this as i have only worked casual before until now...and in those jobs i was getting a good $12-$15 an hour which is alot more than this offer. but then again that was casual this is full time.. so anyway.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

..:MizJay:..

Super Supre Member
HSC
i think what you have been given is wonderful. dont think salary- think opportunity. is this career going to help you on your way to what you truly want? the career i have chosen is only going to be giving me $250 a week. that isnt a lot of money. but i know ill be happy and it will lead me to what i want to do. :) good luck!

Jessie moo moo

HSC
Hey

Don't just think about the money (even though everyone loves money), think of getting a foot in the door and eventually getting the position you have studied so hard to get. This could be a wonderful opportunity for you. I would also ring up and ask to speak to the manager and find out the EXACT ammount you will be earning.

That is just my opinion, but whatever you decide to do Goodluck, Because it all comes down to which job suits you better in the end :eek:

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
dont think about the money, stay there at least six months, do a fantastic job, if you dont get the offer of a raise, and another better paid opportunity comes up, take it.

Beckiki_S

I call President!
HSC
Okay... I asked my stepdad who is the general manager of a real estate agency that i used to do casual secretarial duties for and if you're serious about property management then you HAVE to do your certificates ASAP or you will never get out of answering phones, filing (oh my god there is so much) and bill-paying etc. Also you probably won't ever get $30000 for that kind of work unless you have your certificates or if the position you're trying to get is higher than what i read into it. You're looking at $25000 max.

eye candii

HSC
N/A
yeah i understand what u mean when u think about the pay.
i was put in a similiar situation and although, this is abit of a belated reply, just want to let you know that the pay DOES count.

I got offered 2 jobs at the same time.
One at the Credit Union as a Loans Officer Trainee, which paid about $250/week, and also another one at Australian Mortage Insurance at a call centre, which was full time permanent and paid $18.50/hour.

Mind you, i had just finished my HSC (2004) and i thought the traineeshhip would be good, because i love finance and loans and stuff like that.

But after all that hard work every week, u go to the bank and u look at ur balance and its going up by like 250 a week. maybe less if u spend on petrol, or train ticket etc.

SO i QUIT! it didnt give me any motivation to work anymore. work was just like a chore to me and i never wanted to wake up in the morning for that shit pay.

when i went to the call centre, and i got $18.50, opening the account was like the best! made me enjoy going to work because i just thought of pay day, THURSDAY and it would go up by 600 or 700.

So whatever people say, "dont think of the money".. they are right in some aspects, but i've experienced it and FOR ME, i'd opt for the better pay!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)