Frontline - The Siege (1 Viewer)

Steph

My English trial is only on The Siege for Frontline, but I have nothing I could say in an essay..

I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone who has notes on the seige could email them to me: stephvqv979@optusnet.com.au

I'd be happy to trade my notes with them!
Steph

staree

HSC
N/A
don't trade!!!!!! shareeeeeee!!!!! it's what this site is about!!!!!

but the Siege is pretty funny... I love the duck's cameo in it where the director tells it to piss off...... hahahahahahhaha

but ummm...... in relation to telling the truth, you can write about how they manipulate the audience by over exaggerating the situation (eg, Mike: "so you're saying it can be a Rambo Like situation?") doing this gives the audience the idea of the violence and psychoness related to the movie. Also when the greek guy, I forgot his name, delibrately squats and wears a long trenchcoat jacket to create a more "dangerous" and mysterious atmosphere. Also note the part when they thought that channel nine were responsible for blocking the phone line to the gunman and they were like all 'how can you do that, it's morally wrong, blablablabla' (note, that was not a quote) but as soon as they found out it was actually them, they were like :D :cool:
The episode of the siege is also mildly based on an incident that happened before in Australia. It's a wake up call for the media to stop interrupting negotiations in harmful situations and the consequences of what could happen (as shown in the end when the second siege uses the media as a publicity tool to start shooting on live television).
Oh and another way of 'telling the truth' was the part where Brooke interviewed the mother of the gunman who was obviously devasted and distraught but Brooke didn't have it on tape due to lack of batteries and her insensitivity shows when she asks the mother "do you have any batteries" and "can you do that again?" and asking her to cry more.

those are the main things that I can remember from the top of my head as the ways of manipulating the truth in the episode. You tie it in with the theme of distorting truth for ratings, morals and ethics, etc depending on what the question is I suppose.

But damn I loved that duck!!!!! could not stop laughing for the rest of the class!!!!!

Steph

The duck was funny.. but I reckon when Mike came in in his red racing gear was funnier.. :D

Thanks for the help!

Matt

I thought it was funny when Brooke says to the old woman 'ok look straight down the barrel' - in reference to the camera but quite ironic considering the situation

Steph

:confused: why is it ironic? the only thing i can think of is that the word barrel has a negative connotation (gun barrels)

Morgues

Originally posted by Matt
I thought it was funny when Brooke says to the old woman 'ok look straight down the barrel' - in reference to the camera but quite ironic considering the situation
LOL
i missed it in the episode........it is pretty funny

Matt

Steph - you're not going to score sufficient marks if you explain it's 'bad connotations'. It IS ironic, in a sense that the responder is made aware of the symbolism of the gun barrel when the old lady is oblivious to the fact and sees it merely as a reference to the camera.

Morgues

Isn't it more of a pun and emphasises the lack of ethics in the media that Brook would say something like that given the situation

Steph

Thanks! Except that came a little late: I've already done my trial this morning! Oh well.. I didn't need that bit of info for my essay: so that's good!

staree

HSC
N/A
dun forget we constantly want notes from you guys to share with others....... :D

hint hint nudge nudge ;) ;) :cool: :cool:

Steph

Matt - mmm can't remember: sorry!

but i'll ask someone and get back to you, alright?

what was yours?

ben

our trials is only on the seige and we ain't got dames! nothing else...not even supplementary.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
you're so lucky ben.

we have to do two (i think ) frontline episodes and two teexts of our choosing. which is a bit of a problem for me cos i only know one, david williamson's "brillian lies", sort of, and i dont know my other one at all. i have ideas though.

if anyone is desperate for additional texts for telling the truth, i thought of a few good films:
rashomon (a b-and-white film which shows different perspectives of the one situation from different people's points of views. its been a few months since ive seen it but from memory none of them tell the truth, they just tell various versions and re-construction sof the truth. ) btw its in japanes with english sub's so its prolly a rare one.

x files movie - the truth is out there. if you're doing frontline do the movie, if you're doing other prescribed texts you can do the series or the movie. the series is probably better cos it would have more techniques than the movie. (you're sposed to use a variety of texts in telling the truth) everyone knows what x files is about i wont bother explaining it)

im probably gonna use rashomon for my exam tomorrow, so i sort of need to like LEARN the bloody thing...gawd..yuck.

i hope you guys studied more than i did for your trials... :(

- jian

Steph

Matt - no one i know can remember the exact question for frontline.. but it goes something like this:

How does one programme of Frontline display the distortion of truth by the current affairs programs

ben

I like that question too - because that was my "view" for my assessment task

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)