FrontLine and Supplementary Material (1 Viewer)

lowowl

hey, i'm having heapsa trouble on what sort of approach we're suppossed to be taking on this module, i mean are we supposed to be media orientated or can we be philosophical or is that too dangerous and should we just stick to one sort of approach or what? This module is too bloody ambiguous not to mention the complete lack of guidance from my airhead of an english teacher who is as boring as shite

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
lowowl i am also confused about it... and this thread has actually confused me even more!!
so english experts; honestly, what sort of related material would you suggest for this module??

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I just did some syllabus searching (mmm.. alliteration..) and I came up with the following on TTT and the additional texts conundrum:

* a wide range of additional related texts and textual forms
Just affirming that you're required to look at a variety of texts in a variety of forms. Forms include novel, short story, newspaper article, feature article, film, documentary, etc etc. and a variety of texts generally means 'more than one'. Obviously they expect you to have a handful at your immediate dispoal - choose the related texts that suit the question.

As for the actual module itself.. I don't know if this is exactly what you guys were asking but I hope it helps.
Module C: Representation and Text
This module requires students to explore various representations of events, personalities or situations. They evaluate how medium of production, textual form, perspective and choice of language influence meaning. The study develops students understanding of the relationships between representation and meaning.
(Reread English Stage 6 Syllabus, p 52.)
Hmm. Explore various representations of events, personalities or situations means looking at different ways events, personalities or situations can be "read" by an audience. Is it a good/bad situation and why? Is this person likeable or not? Why?

Evaluate how medium of production, textual form, perspective and choice of language influence meaning means questioning how (and whether) the way a text is constructed affects the meaning. Lowowl, this probably answers your question - yes, it's media oriented in that you know techniques of particular media and you can explain how these techniques influence meaning. NEVER forget that the module is called Representation and Text: Telling the Truth. You're not -just- looking at Frontline-esque ways of altering the truth, you have to look at the construction of Frontline itself.

And the last bit about understanding of the relationship between representation and meaning pretty much sums up the module - that, by the end of the year, you should know how something is represented can affect how the meaning is conveyed. In other words, through form, technique and construction of a text you can influence the audience to think whatever you want them to. (the dominant reading of a text)

Hmm. HTH, but I should be able to clarify if that didn't make sense at all.

lowowl

ooooooooooooooooohwww. Right! Representation, i get it. SO it's kind of about how tools such as selective information and that can manipulate the truth in order for it to be portrayed in a desired way??? okay, so I'd be writing about truth-bending techniques and, wait, oh shiezer, that means that Akira Kurosawa's film Rashomon is a really bad self selected text because it's about how people recount the same event differently not represent them differently! (hey, i really really reccommend that film to everyone, its beautiful) i can't handle BOS language, omigod, my exams in 2 days. ha ha ha. okay, well thanks a million for that, your a legend. wait help, i don't know how to start, okay, so it's just about representation, well I'll begin with that. sorry i'm not coping well this year. Thanks again

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Lowowl, you could still use that text to explain that different representations of the truth mean that there is no absolute truth; that simply because people see the event different ways their belief of what is "true" changes.

The media can capitalise on this discrepancy to their own profit.. why would they make one guy look 'bad' to the audience and another guy look 'good'? (relating it to Frontline somewhat)

in a far far away galaxy.... !splat!....hmmm i don
Possible sources

here some ideas:
  • Jessica Lynch
    Children Overboard
    Weapons of Mass destruction
    Robert Begucki(?) look him up in the Mediawatch early nineties episodes
    the FBI and September 11, how they had previous knowledge about it
    anything from mediawatch
    also on another note the Australian Journalists code of ethics v. interesting when compared to frontline's the siege and playing the ego card

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Umm, do you think the film "Drop Dead Gorgeous" would work? It uses a similar mockumentary style like frontline, and exposes the truths through satire about american beauty pagents.

Leanne

HSC
does it have to be a big event that u get ur material about?

wat if i grab any story from a newspaper and question the truth within it? e.g...it shows a very one-sided point of view...

sammie

frontline

how many should we have ?
I have two is that enough!
I have a cartoon and an article from a newspaper.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
i found "big brother" and "letters from the inside" by john m. really good. they are hell easy and explore the misrepresentation of truth on a public and private level which can help heaps in a responce

allyteaded

I think three is a good number to have but two is okay too.

You all know not to rely on just one. The minimum they'll ask for is two.

No, it does not have to be on a particular event. I think as long as you can write about it in terms of "the construction of truth" (NOTE: Not just on the topic of "truth" but on the "telling" of it.) ... it's a good piece of material.

I was planning to use Spirited Away - but I think that suits Change in Self more. I have, however found an excellent text since which I am using.

angiebob

HSC
There's a really good one from Time magazine that I'm using by Tom Dusevic. It's called 'Truth Overboard' and its about the whole TAMPA issue...

SiN3m

HSC
im doing 'an inconvenient truth' doco by Al Gore

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)