Front-office salary - What should I expect? Newbie? (1 Viewer)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
What is the typical front-office salary package like for a grad trader in fixed income in a major investment bank eg Citi? Newbie, and others, I'd like to get your input.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i dont know maenz
citi ficc haha its rough out there these days

meanwhile ib this year pays ~95 except macq which pays 90

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
As Newbie said, probably $85-95k plus 50-100% bonus. Although I have a slight feeling the bonus component will be curtailed for FI (for this year anyway)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
In terms of the range of packages, who is near the bottom? Do US banks pay more than European ones?

Are Corporate Finance packages really that comparable with those for trading? I would have thought most IBers would be nervous given rates are on the rise so fewer debt-financed acquisitions.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
In terms of the range of packages, who is near the bottom? Do US banks pay more than European ones?

Are Corporate Finance packages really that comparable with those for trading? I would have thought most IBers would be nervous given rates are on the rise so fewer debt-financed acquisitions.
Probably less hiring in ECM/DCM, base will stay the same - probably bonus will be cut. Euro banks are around 60 000 pounds all up for grads (inc bonus). 40 base + 20bonus roughly.

I think Australia is near the bottom for salaries. But in the UK cost of living is much higher, so it'd be about even.

is a roflcopter
HSC
with the exchange rates and all, aussie grads are killing it, not to mention the half year stub which is quite sexy. the worst off is the people heading to ny since its 60+10 with no housing. if we ever get 1:1 parity, they would be basing less than ops people here. the upside is you aint baller til you survive the ny office

all the firms are still spamming the recruitment letters but i suspect its for show. headcount is definately lower. its a depressing world out there. FUCK YOU SUBPRIME

jonathan__

HSC
This sounds very much like a thread from wallstreetoasis, which is a good thing! Is the position mentioned above under Sales & Trading (I'm guessing it is) or Asset Management? Also, would any of you have the expected starting base/bonus figures for Asset Management and/or PWM at a bulge bracket IB? It'd be great to weigh up salary against lifestyle choice for those 2 and in IBD. Cheers

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Holy man!! FI is like the place not to be right now! And of all firms, you had to ask about Citi!!!!!!!

Edit: I reckon the Australian media has been covering up heaps of things. It is getting very very very serious in London and NYC.

Rorix

HSC
velox said:
As Newbie said, probably $85-95k plus 50-100% bonus.
Surely not for grad traders. Newbie was talking about IB. AFAIK its about 95-100k allin for trading

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
It's not Citi, but in the same league.

I'm inclined towards interest rate/FX vanilla and exotic options.

Newbie, u started working full-time yet?

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
But that's just market making vanillas. What about the structured derivatives area?

Rorix

HSC
velox said:
? Optiver and IMC are offering $100k + Bonus. And IBs pay better than marketmakers.

Optiver - 100K + bonus for a wholesale trader - http://ozbankers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15
Not sure if thats the grad program or not. Either way there's no way first year traders (who aren't contributing to P/L) are getting >100 + 50-100% bonus.

is a roflcopter
HSC
grad optiver is paying 100k, my mate just got it lol

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Yea just confirmed with a mate tonight too. This guy who interned at Macq IB and turned it down.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
But that's just market making vanillas. What about the structured derivatives area?
I doubt pay would be any higher.

Newbie, kudos to your friend, the test is so hard. And the way it is written with strange dutch symbols;slows you down heaps.

Was he an actuarial student?Good grades?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I personally wouldn't whinge about any of these salaries! Though given that you are selling your life away to the company in return, I suppose you'd want some sort of good compensation. I personally prefer a good work-life balance though, with an emphasis on the life. I mean, what's the point of a high salary when you can't even enjoy it properly? Unless you just do it for a few years, save up, and then go into a more relaxing job knowing you have a fair bit saved up already. Hmm that's a pretty good plan actually...!

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
What's Optiver? I'm not bothered googling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)