From trials to HSC (1 Viewer)

justchillin

HSC
Anyone got any 'curl ball' questions that are really unanswerable; needing a challenge at the moment...
Also if you've got a triangular prism with a section cut out of the top triangle and it is to be volumised (to be volumed) u use the ratio of paralell division thingy rite???

wanton-wonton

HSC
justchillin said:
Anyone got any 'curl ball' questions that are really unanswerable; needing a challenge at the moment...
Also if you've got a triangular prism with a section cut out of the top triangle and it is to be volumised (to be volumed) u use the ratio of paralell division thingy rite???
What is a curl ball question?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Why settle for something that's already been proven? Try your hand at the Riemann hypothesis instead.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Slide Rule said:
Why settle for something that's already been proven? Try your hand at the Riemann hypothesis instead.
The definitive proof was via computer though. Mathematicians still attempt to solve it, currently (afaik) there is no readable form of the proof.

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
No readable form of proof? haha...

By the way, 'justchilin', I hear the "Fermat's Last Theorum" was quite a 'curl ball' question. Why don't you have a go at that?

who_loves_maths

I wanna be a nebula too!!
somewhere amidst the nebulaic cloud of your heart
HSC
Originally Posted by acmilan
The definitive proof was via computer though. Mathematicians still attempt to solve it, currently (afaik) there is no readable form of the proof.

actually acmilan, the proof of the four-colour-conjecture is very readable... just that the computer print is so long that no one has bothered checking through all of it :).

maybe justchillin could start reading now? try to finish it before the HSC?

who_loves_maths

I wanna be a nebula too!!
somewhere amidst the nebulaic cloud of your heart
HSC
but on a more serious note however justchillin (and acmilan) , if you really want a "challenge", then try your hands at this:

Prove:

[(x^3 + y^3 + z^3)/3]^2 >= [(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)/3]^3 for all real {x, y, z} >= 0

unless you've met this problem before, then the "challenge" is to do it without algebra bashing.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
PiGMAN said:
i think he means "curve ball"
I assumed he got the sayings "a curly question" and "being thrown a curved ball" mixed up.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
who_loves_maths said:
actually acmilan, the proof of the four-colour-conjecture is very readable... just that the computer print is so long that no one has bothered checking through all of it :).
Haha thats where the problem comes in. Not many mathematicians that I have spoken to will accept it as definitive proof unless someone can actually prove it without the aid of computers. Ive talked to the head of the Department of Combinatorics and Optimization in Waterloo, who claims to have 'correct, simple and elegant' proof of it. Yet for some reason the journals dont accept it. I guess it may say something about the proof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)